Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to get mad

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

When to get mad

I live in north Texas, so I heard Michael Irvin on the radio the other day. He was talking about the Cowboys losing to the Redskins, and he said, back in his day (1990s), he or "someone" would have just gotten really mad, said something in the locker room, maybe even started a fight, to motivate the team to get better and to "not take it anymore".

I remember reading about a game in the 1970s when the Vikings were losing in the playoffs, and one of the D-linemen went absolutely berserk in the lockerroom. I think it was Eller or Page. Probably Eller. The tirade got so bad that Tarkenton actually locked himself into a locker !!

My question is, I really wonder if this is now happening on our team. Or does this not happen in the "modern NFL", where everyone just showers and leaves. Are we mad enough ? Are people stepping up in the locker room like this, when it is necessary ? And who would that guy be ? Just wondering.

[one of the games that has really bothered me over the years as a long-term Vikings fan was that game back against the Giants about 7 years ago, when they beat us 41-0. No one seemed mad. No one stepped up. It really bugged me. No one put a wicked hit on someone - legal or illegal to spark a flame. I really wondered, "don't they get mad" ?]

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: When to get mad

The make a lot more money now.
    As long as they are getting paid, they don't seem to give a shit.
    Unless they are to be a FA.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I always see these guys after the game: their team just got beat 38-14 and they are over hugging other opposing players. It is ridiculous.

Back in the day, it was like a war. Read about Butkus and the Bears and George Halas and the Packers, etc. It really was like a war. But you are right, that was before free agency.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

That's just how it is these days.
    Hugging, Praying and grabbing ass.
    It's weak but that's the game.

Does not mean some don't get mad.

nailhead77 is offline Starter

I dont like it.
    I'm pretty bummed when we lose, and it does suck watching the players after a game high fiving as if it doesnt matter.
    The way it is now, you may only be with a certain team for a couple years so i understand why they have no "loyalty".
    Back in the day (before me) players stayed together on the same team for a long time and wanted to win together.
    Now the only reason players want to win (not all of them) is to have that superbowl ring on their resume.
    Thats why i root for the "jersey" and not the name.
    I put a sig on here before, but it expired?
    Now i have tried again but seem to be retarded.......oh well,

Floop the bears!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"StillPurple" wrote:

I remember reading about a game in the 1970s when the Vikings were losing in the playoffs, and one of the D-linemen went absolutely berserk in the lockerroom. I think it was Eller or Page. Probably Eller. The tirade got so bad that Tarkenton actually locked himself into a locker !!
    I never heard that, but I do recall Eller putting his fist threw a blackboard during half time when we were getting beat & that fired up the team enough to come back out & win the game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

A lot of it has to do with pride...and many players seem to be satisfied with "giving their all", or "leaving it on the field". That's all great, but it doesn't amount to anything if you lose the game...and many forget that it's a team game, and they get caught up in their own goals and stats.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

I honestly think there is something to this. The players today do get paid a lot of money, and a lot of times probably aren't as set on winning as they are on getting a big contract. Well, I would say this is where the coach comes in. If you have a team full of players that cannt get themselves fired up for a game, what do you do? You bring in a coach who brings energy, old-school personality, and isn't a afraid to lay it all out on the line with his players and not allow them to wallow in mediocrity.

Yes, Childress and his staff have come in and done a good job creating an atmosphere of accountability OFF the field (sort of), but nothing has improved ON the field. Players need to be able to respect a coach .... you need a coach that when he talks people listen because they know that he is a fighter, they know he is winner at heart and will lay it all on the line for his players. In return, the players will WANT to lay it all on the line for the coach, and I am not seeing that with this team.

A coach does not have to sacrifice his integrity to get his players to want to play for him. Look at Tony Dungy, he is a LEADER, his players WANT to play for him, they WANT to win for him. Get a coach in here like that. I want a coach that the players will FIGHT for!
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Yeah this is a great point...

I mean i get mad when i lose in pick up basketball, there playing in the NFL they need to get mad when they lose....

Like if you have a good friend on the other team i mean go shake his hand talk to him but dont high five everyone on the team and give ppl hugs after you lost, what they should do is go to the locker take a shower go home and be pissed the rest of the week like all of us

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I believe Eller broke the black board against the Redskins, and we did win that game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast