Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

When did you become a fan?

1983 and Bud Grant brought the Vikes to Wembley Stadium to play the St. Louis Cardinals - one for the older members here - in a preseason game.
    Picked the Vikes as the team to go for and watched as they beat the Cardinals on the day. An added bonus was a group of St. Louis fans who were silenced after trying to give me a hard time for being a "damn brit who knows nothing about football" ........ well that Brit had the last laugh fellers :thebirdman:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

vikeroo is offline Training Camp

Is it just me or are there a lot of young fans on here? I am not that old (35), but it seems like there are a lot of younger fans on here posting who became fans during the 98' period or so... Just a question...

No offense Del Rio, but #55 is Studwell's number (I always think of Del Rio as a Cowboy and Studwell was a better MLB)...

I live in Michigan and became a Vikings fan because the Lions were always blacked out here when I was younger (70's) and the Vikes were on TV... I guess I have just never shaken the habit...

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

Re: memories

"shockzilla" wrote:
    That's what I like about you guys - all heart! That's why we're Viking fans, because we have heart!

It's nice to know that people I have never met care enough about me and my memories of my Dad to make such nice comments!

SKOL!
    sure wish we could loan some to our players ops: epecialy against weak teams!

Del Rio Guest

No offense Del Rio, but #55 is Studwell's number (I always think of Del Rio as a Cowboy and Studwell was a better MLB
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I like Studwell, but to say Del Rio is a Cowgirl is harsh. He played for the Saints, Chiefs, Cowboys, and the Vikings. His best years came with the Vikes. Recording 7.5 sacks and 10 interceptions in his 4 seasons with us.

Studdy only had 11 interceptions in 14 years :shock:

Two different styles of player so comparing them is difficult.

Del Rio went to one Pro Bowl in 1994
    Studwell went to two 1987 & 1988

Del Rio led the vikings in tackles for 3 consecutive years! He played with them for 4 that's pretty good in my book.
    Helped them go to the playoffs 3 times.
    Played 100 consecutive games.

And he was the LB coach of the ravens during their dominant period between 99-2001

He landed his head coach job because of his LB coaching ability.

All in all I won't get into a pissing match with you. Studwell is the man. Obviously he contributed more to the team. BUT honestly its too easy to say............

Studwell is my favorite, moss is my favorite, robert smith is my favorite, of course they are good, but it's the no names that make the team what it is.

Del Rio is a viking he played 2 years saints, 2 years chiefs, 3 years cows, and 4 final very strong productive seasons with the vikes! That helped him see his only Pro-Bowl.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I'm actually originally from Sri Lanka (tiny island below India). I came to the US in 1998 to finish my final two years of college. I attended the University of Wisconsin - Superior for those two years. I love sports and didn't know what to do without my dose of Rugby and Cricket.

So I tried to watch American comparisons (somewhat) of it - Football and Baseball. Compared to cricket Baseball is too damn slow and unexciting for me (no offense to Baseball fans cos you probably think the same about Cricket! Oh, Sri Lanka won the Cricket World Cup in 1996 by the way and are one of the top 5 teams in the world so I HAVE to love my cricket). Comparing Football to Rugby is like comparing apples to oranges. Still, once someone explained the game to me it made more sense and was more intelligent than I originally thought.

So I became a Viking fan somewhere in the Fall of 98. I was watching a game between the Vikings and maybe the Packers and there was this thin scrawny dude who was supposed to be a rookie named Moss who was just torching the D! I thought they looked like a good team (hell they went 15-1!) so I thought I should adopt them as the team I should favor. By the end of the season I was a full-blown fan and was heart-broken when Anderson missed the kick. The most expensive item I bought that year was a number 84 Jersey for $25 from Target. Coming from a developing country that was a lot of money!!

I now live in Chicago so am less exposed to the Vikes. However with each year I get more and more involved. This was the first year that I followed the Vikings off-season on a daily basis!! I have sworn to make my daughter (due in October) a Vikings fan too. My daughter is due on the 3rd of October so I jokingly tell all my friends that my daughter is a true Vikings fan because she is coming on the Vikings bye-week so that daddy wont have to miss the game .

Go Vikes!!!
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

[quote="Big C"]I'm actually originally from Sri Lanka (tiny island below India). I came to the US in 1998 to finish my final two years of college. I attended the University of Wisconsin - Superior for those two years. I love sports and didn't know what to do without my dose of Rugby and Cricket.

I have a good friend from Sri Lanka, he came to Minnesota in the early 1980's to attend college at St. Cloud State University. He is still here and is married with a daughter, he goes back to Sri Lanka every few years for visits. But I know he is worried with the rebel fighters making so many problems that I don't know if he will go bakc for awhile.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Big C great post ccasion5: I also like my cricket and learn to enjoy it in London where i would watch the "Bird" umpire in his most eliquent way many a game before retirement, a good friend has a box at the cricket grounds at Lords.

If I may congrate your family for the future arival of a New vikings fan, may her health always be good, may her life always be filled with happeness, and may she alway enjoy the fruits of life prosparities most of all may your family enjoy her the gift of LIFE.

Welcome Aboard by the way Big C even though you joined a while ago I have been to Calumbo many years ago beautifull jungles and flora, anyway we hope to see you here posting more.

you can't hide from the purple pride SKOL
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Congrats big C. That's a good girl coming on the vikes bye week!!

Vikeroo: I am 25 years old and I think there is a pretty good mix of ages on this board!! I don't care if you're 10 or 100 as long as you're a vikes fan, you're good in my book!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't care if you're 10 or 100 as long as you're a vikes fan, you're good in my book!!
    Very true..., nice to see the next generation of fans. I know my three children are big time fans too. My youngest girl is 10..., her favorite thing to do is go to the game with me. She wears her Culpepper jersey, her Helga, and brings her pom-poms. While there she sings Skol Vikings at every opportunity.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Very nice SKOL, way to bring her up right!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast