Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: When did I become a Vikes fan?

"shockzilla" wrote:
    When did I become a Vikes fan? Way back when, in the mid-1970's... My father was the biggest Vikings fan that I ever knew, or can remember.

Every Sunday during the football season, we would go to 8:00 Mass (Catholics, ya know :salute: ), then go out into the woods on some property we owned for the next two hours or so to cut down trees and gather them, split them up, and take them home for firewood (we lived in a huge, four-story farmhouse, built way back in 1908, and heated the house with a wood-burning stove). Around 11:30 or so, Mom would serve lunch, and we'd all gather around the TV for the game. Back then, the channels on our TV had to be changed by hand (OH MY GOD, NO REMOTE!!!!!!!!!!), and we got channels 2, 4, 5, 9, and 11 - no cable back then. My Dad was a huge fan, and the best times I can remember growing up were when we (all seven of us guys: My dad, me and 5 brothers) sat around on Sundays and watched our beloved Vikes. There was no way we would EVER miss a game on Sunday, and it was a real treat to watch the games when the Vikes played on Monday nights - those were the few times during the school year that my parents let me stay up late on a school night.

My Dad passed away back in November of 1992, by his own hand, and it makes me sad to think that he could still be here, watching the boys with me... But, if there's one thing I loved about my time with my Dad, even when there may have been nothing else we had to talk about, we could still talk about the Vikes, and I can remember every game, how passionate he was about them, and I see that part of him in me every Sunday when they suit it up, especially against the Packers.

Enjoy life while you can, Purple fans - This year could be something special, and I'd like to think my Dad will have something to do with it when it happens...

Thanks for listening...

SKOL

Shockzilla, very good post and thanks for sharing it! I wish also that your dad was with you to share the games and this promising season! :salute:

My dad is still with us but has a nasty affliction called Lewy Body disease, it has parts of Parkisons, Alzhemiers and Dementia and he has been in a home for 2 years now. Somedays he is good and he knows who I am and other days, he doesn't. Somtimes I can sit with him and he wont say anything at all for hours. There are days were he sees things that are not there, and his dreams are very scary and vivid and he can't shake them when he wakes up.

I am hoping that we can watch the games together yet but I don't know until the game starts if he will be able to know whats going on.

For you guys and gals that have fathers that are around and are in good health, call them and go watch a game together, you never know when it might be your last :cry:
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

When did you become a fan?

I became a Vikings fan during whta I see as some of the most exciting Vikings seasons lately. This was when we signed Randy Moss. Carter, Moss, Reed, what can I say. I was never a big sports fan, I played some football in highschool, but never got fully into it. Every once and a while during the saeson I would turn on the game on sunday and watch a little...then a little more...then a little more, before you knew it I was sitting on my couch with a purple, yellow and white hat with horns and braids coming out of it, with a foam vikings sword and a Kleinsasser jersey on my back.

I got even more into it when I found out some kids at my school were cheeseheads. I had funrubbing in the moss bombs that seemed to leave Green Bay's DBs stunned.

Go Vikes!
    Go Jimmy!!!!!!
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: When did you become a fan?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm new to the forums. Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for maintaining such a worthy site!

I remember the first time I decided to be a true vikings fan. 1988 my dad was fixing his truck drinkin suds, he plopped me down infront of the tv and the 49ers were playing the vikes to see who would advance to the superbowl.

I remember thinking to myself (7 years old at the time) that they were a very exciting team. I liked everything from the helmets to the style they played and even though they got tore a new one I never looked back been a fan ever since.

I joined the team that seems like they could go all the way every year but have mental seizures when they have victory in thier grasp!

I think a person gets 15 years added on their age from stress if they are a fan

Seriously though anyone remember when or why they chose to follow the vikes?
    Wow, you've got to be kidding me. That was the very same game I became a Vikings fan. I had been watching football for a few years but long enough to know the 49ers were the team to beat. I had gotten sick of them. I also had a habit of cheering for the underdog. Heading into that game which was the divisional playoffs the Vikings were the clear underdog so I was pulling for them. Well they sacked Montana four times and picked him off I think twice and went on to win the game. I was so impressed with them I cheered them on the next week. They lost to Washington in the NFC championship but just barely, they could have tied it except Darrin Nelson dropped the ball. Still I stuck with them and have been a fan ever since.

And you're right you have to have health problems if you're a Vikes fan. They call Carolina the cardiac cats but that's nothing compared to what Viking fans have gone through.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"SKOL" wrote:
    I'll be there myself with my purple clad wife and two daughters.
    My wife and kids will be there clad in purple too. :angryfire: :lol:

Re: When did I become a Vikes fan?

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    When did I become a Vikes fan? Way back when, in the mid-1970's... My father was the biggest Vikings fan that I ever knew, or can remember.

Every Sunday during the football season, we would go to 8:00 Mass (Catholics, ya know :salute: ), then go out into the woods on some property we owned for the next two hours or so to cut down trees and gather them, split them up, and take them home for firewood (we lived in a huge, four-story farmhouse, built way back in 1908, and heated the house with a wood-burning stove). Around 11:30 or so, Mom would serve lunch, and we'd all gather around the TV for the game. Back then, the channels on our TV had to be changed by hand (OH MY GOD, NO REMOTE!!!!!!!!!!), and we got channels 2, 4, 5, 9, and 11 - no cable back then. My Dad was a huge fan, and the best times I can remember growing up were when we (all seven of us guys: My dad, me and 5 brothers) sat around on Sundays and watched our beloved Vikes. There was no way we would EVER miss a game on Sunday, and it was a real treat to watch the games when the Vikes played on Monday nights - those were the few times during the school year that my parents let me stay up late on a school night.

My Dad passed away back in November of 1992, by his own hand, and it makes me sad to think that he could still be here, watching the boys with me... But, if there's one thing I loved about my time with my Dad, even when there may have been nothing else we had to talk about, we could still talk about the Vikes, and I can remember every game, how passionate he was about them, and I see that part of him in me every Sunday when they suit it up, especially against the Packers.

Enjoy life while you can, Purple fans - This year could be something special, and I'd like to think my Dad will have something to do with it when it happens...

Thanks for listening...

SKOL

Shockzilla, very good post and thanks for sharing it! I wish also that your dad was with you to share the games and this promising season! :salute:

My dad is still with us but has a nasty affliction called Lewy Body disease, it has parts of Parkisons, Alzhemiers and Dementia and he has been in a home for 2 years now. Somedays he is good and he knows who I am and other days, he doesn't. Somtimes I can sit with him and he wont say anything at all for hours. There are days were he sees things that are not there, and his dreams are very scary and vivid and he can't shake them when he wakes up.

I am hoping that we can watch the games together yet but I don't know until the game starts if he will be able to know whats going on.

For you guys and gals that have fathers that are around and are in good health, call them and go watch a game together, you never know when it might be your last :cry:
    AHMEN, I lost mine while on assinment in AISA 1989 didn't get a chance to say the right thing's before he left, man would it be great to watch another game with him...thanks guys for the memories
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

memories

That's what I like about you guys - all heart! That's why we're Viking fans, because we have heart!

It's nice to know that people I have never met care enough about me and my memories of my Dad to make such nice comments!

SKOL!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

January 26, 1979. The day I was born I was a fan. Well I like to think that at least!! I would have to say when my dad came home from Vikings training camp (he was an athletic trainer at Mankato St. University and worked with the vikes for a little bit)with an autographed pennant of Tommy Kramer and Scott Studwell. I was hooked! I was probably about 4 or 5, but I remember getting that pennant!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

1968, saw the Vikes for the first time playing the Colts in the playoffs. I thought "Man, those helmets really look cool". Vikes lost that game, but I started following them the next season. Been a diehard fan ever since.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"purplepat" wrote:
    1968, saw the Vikes for the first time playing the Colts in the playoffs. I thought "Man, those helmets really look cool". Vikes lost that game, but I started following them the next season. Been a diehard fan ever since.
    Sorry packer fans, but I don't think anyone would ever say that about the "G" hahaha

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

The year was 1969 and I was on my first (of three) stints in a boys home for juvenile delinquents. The home supervisor was a hardcore Viking fan and lived below our living quarters. It became very clear that on Sundays during football season, the ONLY noise he wanted to hear coming from upstairs was when the Vikings did something good. We darlings of society caught on quickly and watched the games. I still remember the Purple People Eaters lining up with steam coming out from their helmets, and then upon the snap causing pure havoc for the other team. Been a true purple fan throughout my life living in many places around the world... SKOL VIKINGS! :thumbleft:
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast