Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

When did you become a fan?

I'm new to the forums. Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for maintaining such a worthy site!

I remember the first time I decided to be a true vikings fan. 1988 my dad was fixing his truck drinkin suds, he plopped me down infront of the tv and the 49ers were playing the vikes to see who would advance to the superbowl.

I remember thinking to myself (7 years old at the time) that they were a very exciting team. I liked everything from the helmets to the style they played and even though they got tore a new one I never looked back been a fan ever since.

I joined the team that seems like they could go all the way every year but have mental seizures when they have victory in thier grasp!

I think a person gets 15 years added on their age from stress if they are a fan

Seriously though anyone remember when or why they chose to follow the vikes?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Well i hated them cause I hated football and i remember my dad talking about warren moon and what not, my dads like 44 and has been a fan since he was about 14. I liked the 49ers cause my friends did when they won the suberbowl against the chargers after that year i think i was like 12 or 13. The next year we had just got direct tv (when it first came out) and somehow we got sunday ticket on accident (my parents couldn't afford it). That year i watched all the games and got farmilair with the players, people like cris carter, jerry ball, robert griffith and on and on. Ever since then i watched the games with my dad and here i am 19 and a bigger fan than he is. It's been frustrating but i wouldnt give up on them for nothing.

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

I'm a die hard Cowboys fan. Have been my whole life. Then in the early 90's a friend of mine signed with the Vikes, so I started really following them too. Then in the late 90's another friend of mine I've known since 3rd grade signed with them. So I've been a fan of the Vikes for a while though my loyalties always lye with the Cowboys.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I always wondered about that star at the bottom of your posts...

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"SKOL" wrote:
    :rr: I pull for the vikes against everyone but Dallas.... which should make the opener interesting since I'll be at the dome with some friends who are ex-vikes and I'll be cheering for the 'boys.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

When did I become a Vikes fan?

When did I become a Vikes fan? Way back when, in the mid-1970's... My father was the biggest Vikings fan that I ever knew, or can remember.

Every Sunday during the football season, we would go to 8:00 Mass (Catholics, ya know :salute: ), then go out into the woods on some property we owned for the next two hours or so to cut down trees and gather them, split them up, and take them home for firewood (we lived in a huge, four-story farmhouse, built way back in 1908, and heated the house with a wood-burning stove). Around 11:30 or so, Mom would serve lunch, and we'd all gather around the TV for the game. Back then, the channels on our TV had to be changed by hand (OH MY GOD, NO REMOTE!!!!!!!!!!), and we got channels 2, 4, 5, 9, and 11 - no cable back then. My Dad was a huge fan, and the best times I can remember growing up were when we (all seven of us guys: My dad, me and 5 brothers) sat around on Sundays and watched our beloved Vikes. There was no way we would EVER miss a game on Sunday, and it was a real treat to watch the games when the Vikes played on Monday nights - those were the few times during the school year that my parents let me stay up late on a school night.

My Dad passed away back in November of 1992, by his own hand, and it makes me sad to think that he could still be here, watching the boys with me... But, if there's one thing I loved about my time with my Dad, even when there may have been nothing else we had to talk about, we could still talk about the Vikes, and I can remember every game, how passionate he was about them, and I see that part of him in me every Sunday when they suit it up, especially against the Packers.

Enjoy life while you can, Purple fans - This year could be something special, and I'd like to think my Dad will have something to do with it when it happens...

Thanks for listening...

SKOL
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"jackyl" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    :rr: I pull for the vikes against everyone but Dallas.... which should make the opener interesting since I'll be at the dome with some friends who are ex-vikes and I'll be cheering for the 'boys.
    I'll be there myself with my purple clad wife and two daughters.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

duffVIkEs is offline Pro-Bowler

there awesome 1998 season i was 9 and that was the first year i got intoi to football. always been a vikings fan, never will change

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I became a Viking fan in 1967 when Bud grant became their coach. I lived in St Paul for a short period of time in 1969. Loved the Twin Cities hated the weather LOL. I have never been anything but a Vikings fan even though I have lived in Texas (Cowboy country), Colorado (Bronco land), Los Angeles (Rams at the time) and Northern California where I live now, and have to tolerate both Raiders and 49er fans. Its tough enough being a Vikes fan living in Minn. However I can tell you that being a fan that lives out of state has been a cross to bear at times. I have lost enough 6 packs betting on the Vikes to fill a swimming pool over the years. And at the end of some seasons have had to put my jacket and sweatshirts in the closet cause it was just to painful to wear them for a while. But every year when the season starts, I have no doubt that the Vikes are destined to win the SB and this could be their year. :thumbleft:

I am so ready for the season to start. :cheers:

WWBGD

Del Rio "DR" welcome aboard hope you enjoy the site as much as all the rest of us the webmaster and all the moderators make it the best site on the web so enjoy don't stand on the side lines this is a interative board as you can see. great question and post by the way.

My story starts when we came back from germany in 62-63 my grand father who lived in Winonia Min. where my fathers people are from to get to know his grand son use to sit me infront of the TV like "Shock" say's back when there was no remotes, my english was Not good "moks nics" using my father as a translator, I began to learn about foot ball. needless to say I was a baby of about 5 then not really understanding anything.

But in 1965-66 my fate and faith were to change.. I was sliding in our back yard on a metal book shelf (the military kind) turn up side down, I went over a bump (jump) we had made to propell us into the air on the middle of a hill (you all know the kind) anyway it didn't work well and after a short airborne ride I slamed in to the ground cutting my thumb almost off, of course as a young kid this was a shock to say the least, the local Doc on the base in Osceola Wis could not sew it back together but said one of the best surgen in this kind of field was in the area his name was Dr. Lannen so they pilled me into a ambulance and off to the TC's we go after waking up after surgery I found out that the Doctor who performed the operation (quite successfully I might add) was the team surgen for the Minnesota Vikings.

Well since that day I have been a die hard Minnesota fan and like RK in my travels around the world and Back (a couple of times) have filled many a Forgein swimming pools with beer on the bets lost and drank a few swimming pools full of beer on bet's won, "that's the clean verson"

Up until about 4 or 5 years ago never really found any "comrades in arms" if I may to share the love and respect I have for the team and fans...the I found Webby, Dave, and a few others on tropican, they were kind enough to let me hang out with them and talk about the team the fans etc, but because of where i am, what I do and where I go, I don't get to keep up with the Team.... So this board and the wonderfull folks (even TEXPAC) on it, in it, or using it, are my Life line to the real world and when I am home sick and blue I just hang out and hunt trolls...

Anyway at 45-46 on the other side of the world that is my Story and I am sticking to it also

the best thing this show is YOU can't Hide from The Purple Pride
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast