Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 94
  1. #11
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    I was just looking at defensive stats and was shocked to see the Vikes overall D at #19, rush at #7, and pass at #23.

    All the talk about becoming the #1 D this year and Vikes are giving up 332yds and 21.8pts per game.
    The only teams held under 20pts are the horrible Lions and Rams.

    I'm starting to think the D is playing soft now that the offense can win games.


    If defense wins championships then the Vikes need to get their act together and not rely on FF's and sacks to stop opponents.
    I just don't get it. I mean part of it is that we are getting leads so teams take more risks and throw more, but that should help us in some games too, teams become more 1 dimensional.
    On paper we should easily be a top 5 defense. I don't care much about the yards, but the points are out of whack for this defense.
    On the other hand we gave up 20.8pts per game last year, only 1 fewer point per game than this year.
    I still think by the end of the year we'll be in the top 10.
    I think that has a LOT to do with it - teams are taking more risks because they are behind.
    If you look at the games where we were behind or the score was close, our D is able to hold them.
    But if you see games like Baltimore and Green Bay, where we are off to a huge lead, they seem to be able to catch up.

    Maybe part of it is our offense goes more conservative while their offense gets more aggressive.
    That means the defense is on the field more, and they could be getting tired.
    Maybe it is just coincidence.
    Who knows. Whatever the reason, I think that this is the sole area of our game where we need to improve.
    Maybe we are just not getting the TOs like let's say the Saints.
    The Saints should be in that same category where teams have to catch up and throw on them. Take a look at the stats below.
    What do you think?


    Saints Defense
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    22.0



    326.0


    223.9




    102.1
    (20th)


    (15th)


    (17th)



    (11th)

    Vikings Defense
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    21.8



    332.6


    237.9




    94.8
    (19th)


    (19th)


    (23rd)



    (7th)

    Colts Defense
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    13.0



    292.1


    180.1



    112.0
    (1st)



    (9th)



    (7th)



    (17th)

    Broncos Defense
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    13.7



    266.7


    180.6



    86.1
    (2nd)



    (1st)



    (8th)



    (3rd)


    Look what happened to the Broncos, they face the Ravens and couldn't score.
    They got beat.

    I like the stats that the Colts have the best, on paper.

    NFC vs AFC?
    AFC playing better D?
    NFC have more potent offenses?

  2. #12
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    I was just looking at defensive stats and was shocked to see the Vikes overall D at #19, rush at #7, and pass at #23.

    All the talk about becoming the #1 D this year and Vikes are giving up 332yds and 21.8pts per game.
    The only teams held under 20pts are the horrible Lions and Rams.

    I'm starting to think the D is playing soft now that the offense can win games.


    If defense wins championships then the Vikes need to get their act together and not rely on FF's and sacks to stop opponents.
    I just don't get it. I mean part of it is that we are getting leads so teams take more risks and throw more, but that should help us in some games too, teams become more 1 dimensional.
    On paper we should easily be a top 5 defense. I don't care much about the yards, but the points are out of whack for this defense.
    On the other hand we gave up 20.8pts per game last year, only 1 fewer point per game than this year.
    I still think by the end of the year we'll be in the top 10.
    I think that has a LOT to do with it - teams are taking more risks because they are behind.
    If you look at the games where we were behind or the score was close, our D is able to hold them.
    But if you see games like Baltimore and Green Bay, where we are off to a huge lead, they seem to be able to catch up.

    Maybe part of it is our offense goes more conservative while their offense gets more aggressive.
    That means the defense is on the field more, and they could be getting tired.
    Maybe it is just coincidence.

    Who knows. Whatever the reason, I think that this is the sole area of our game where we need to improve.
    One thing was obvious in this games lapse. The defense wasn't getting much pressure for a good portion of the third quarter.
    When the game got close, they started getting pressure again.
    Which is really suprising, you would expect guys like Allen, pat and Kevin who are veterans and great players to keep up the intensity for 60 minutes. And with a big league knowing the offense will be passing most of the time you'd expect them to pin their ears back and go for rodgers.
    OK. This purely speculation on my part.
    But I feel this is where Marrdro's 'soft training camp' comes in.
    I don't think some of these guys are quite in 'football shape'.
    Pat just started playing well in the Steelers game, and had another good game against Green Bay.
    I think they will peak in December when we need them to.
    And not fade away in January/Feb..
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  3. #13
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    Range of these four teams
    Pts






    13-22
    Yds




    266.7-332.6
    Pass



    180.1-237.9
    Rush




    86.1-112
    Total Yds
    266.7-332.7



    Saints Defense
    total yards = 326.0
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    22.0



    326.0


    223.9




    102.1
    (20th)


    (15th)


    (17th)



    (11th)

    Vikings Defense

    total yards = 332.7
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    21.8



    332.6


    237.9




    94.8
    (19th)


    (19th)


    (23rd)



    (7th)

    Colts Defense

    total yards = 292.1
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    13.0



    292.1


    180.1



    112.0
    (1st)



    (9th)



    (7th)



    (17th)

    Broncos Defense

    total yards = 266.7
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    13.7



    266.7


    180.6



    86.1
    (2nd)



    (1st)



    (8th)



    (3rd)






  4. #14
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Range of these for teams
    Pts







    13-22
    Yds




    266.7-332.6
    Pass



    180.1-237.9
    Rush




    86.1-112
    Total Yds
    266.7-332.7



    Saints Defense
    total yards = 326.0
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    22.0



    326.0


    223.9




    102.1
    (20th)


    (15th)


    (17th)



    (11th)

    Vikings Defense

    total yards = 332.7
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    21.8



    332.6


    237.9




    94.8
    (19th)


    (19th)


    (23rd)



    (7th)

    Colts Defense

    total yards = 292.1
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    13.0



    292.1


    180.1



    112.0
    (1st)



    (9th)



    (7th)



    (17th)

    Broncos Defense


    total yards = 266.7
    PTS




    YDS

    PASS YDS
    RUSH YDS
    13.7



    266.7


    180.6



    86.1
    (2nd)



    (1st)



    (8th)



    (3rd)





    Great posts, SIA..
    Love to see those stats.
    But as far as what it means..
    I honestly don't know.
    I don't think they tell the whole story.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  5. #15
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?


    http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG

    I was doing some research and thought this was interesting.
























    Total
















    G

    Pts/G
    Pts
    TD
    Rush
    Pass
    Rtn
    Def
    Minnesota Vikings



    8

    21.8
    174
    20

    2


    13

    1


    4
    New Orleans Saints


    7

    22


    154
    17

    9


    6


    0


    2
    Denver Broncos




    7


    13.7
    96

    9


    3



    4


    2


    0
    Indianapolis Colts



    7

    13


    91

    8


    5



    3


    0


    0

  6. #16
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "snowinapril" wrote:

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG

    I was doing some research and thought this was interesting.
























    Total
















    G

    Pts/G
    Pts
    TD
    Rush
    Pass
    Rtn
    Def
    Minnesota Vikings



    8

    21.8
    174
    20

    2


    13

    1


    4
    New Orleans Saints


    7

    22


    154
    17

    9


    6


    0


    2
    Denver Broncos




    7


    13.7
    96

    9


    3



    4


    2


    0
    Indianapolis Colts



    7

    13


    91

    8


    5



    3


    0


    0
    Our defense is also hurt by 27 points that were essentially garbage time or prevent defense time. We pretty much let the Browns and Lions score a touchdown and field goal late.

    We also went into serious prevent/time consuming mode in that first contest with the Packers and while we did not concede their final TD and FG ... we all but let them have it to chew the clock.

    We also went into the tank in the fourth quarter of the Rams game giving up a TD.

    Now, we could easily discuss the merit of letting these teams move downfield on us and what not ... but as a whole we pretty much conceded 27 points here. I for one hate seeing us do that, but we definitely did that in these instances.

    Outside of the collapse against the Ravens, I have been pretty happy with our defense. I thought against the 49ers we made like four serious lapses and paid every time ... but as a whole played pretty solid in that game as well.

    Also, at least 28 points were put on the board with our defense not even on the field (PR and three defensive TDs).

  7. #17
    kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    405

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "midgensa" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG

    I was doing some research and thought this was interesting.

























    Total

















    G


    Pts/G
    Pts

    TD
    Rush
    Pass

    Rtn
    Def
    Minnesota Vikings



    8


    21.8

    174
    20


    2



    13


    1


    4
    New Orleans Saints


    7


    22


    154
    17


    9



    6


    0


    2
    Denver Broncos




    7


    13.7

    96

    9


    3



    4


    2


    0
    Indianapolis Colts



    7


    13


    91

    8


    5



    3


    0


    0
    Our defense is also hurt by 27 points that were essentially garbage time or prevent defense time. We pretty much let the Browns and Lions score a touchdown and field goal late.

    We also went into serious prevent/time consuming mode in that first contest with the Packers and while we did not concede their final TD and FG ... we all but let them have it to chew the clock.

    We also went into the tank in the fourth quarter of the Rams game giving up a TD.

    Now, we could easily discuss the merit of letting these teams move downfield on us and what not ... but as a whole we pretty much conceded 27 points here. I for one hate seeing us do that, but we definitely did that in these instances.

    Outside of the collapse against the Ravens, I have been pretty happy with our defense. I thought against the 49ers we made like four serious lapses and paid every time ... but as a whole played pretty solid in that game as well.

    Also, at least 28 points were put on the board with our defense not even on the field (PR and three defensive TDs).
    blame frazier and that way sft cover 2, and putting our safeties way out of position to they nor our linebackers can make play on the ball

  8. #18
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "midgensa" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG

    I was doing some research and thought this was interesting.

























    Total

















    G


    Pts/G
    Pts

    TD
    Rush
    Pass

    Rtn
    Def
    Minnesota Vikings



    8


    21.8

    174
    20


    2



    13


    1


    4
    New Orleans Saints


    7


    22


    154
    17


    9



    6


    0


    2
    Denver Broncos




    7


    13.7

    96

    9


    3



    4


    2


    0
    Indianapolis Colts



    7


    13


    91

    8


    5



    3


    0


    0
    Our defense is also hurt by 27 points that were essentially garbage time or prevent defense time. We pretty much let the Browns and Lions score a touchdown and field goal late.

    We also went into serious prevent/time consuming mode in that first contest with the Packers and while we did not concede their final TD and FG ... we all but let them have it to chew the clock.

    We also went into the tank in the fourth quarter of the Rams game giving up a TD.

    Now, we could easily discuss the merit of letting these teams move downfield on us and what not ... but as a whole we pretty much conceded 27 points here. I for one hate seeing us do that, but we definitely did that in these instances.

    Outside of the collapse against the Ravens, I have been pretty happy with our defense. I thought against the 49ers we made like four serious lapses and paid every time ... but as a whole played pretty solid in that game as well.

    Also, at least 28 points were put on the board with our defense not even on the field (PR and three defensive TDs).
    That Baltimore game was flukish too.
    3 TDs like nothing happened in the 4th Q alone.

  9. #19
    jkjuggalo's Avatar
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    We need a frightening safety with elite range, athleticism, and body control.
    Tyrell and Madieu are pretty average.
    I was hoping Tyrell would be the guy when we drafted him, but he seems timid at times.
    Not sure if that is due to over-thinking his responsibilities or what.
    Hopefully the light comes on for him soon.
    Madieu is a guy that we overpaid for.
    I'd like to see us do something to upgrade the safety position before next season starts.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

  10. #20
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    I was just looking at defensive stats and was shocked to see the Vikes overall D at #19, rush at #7, and pass at #23.

    All the talk about becoming the #1 D this year and Vikes are giving up 332yds and 21.8pts per game.
    The only teams held under 20pts are the horrible Lions and Rams.

    I'm starting to think the D is playing soft now that the offense can win games.


    If defense wins championships then the Vikes need to get their act together and not rely on FF's and sacks to stop opponents.
    I just don't get it. I mean part of it is that we are getting leads so teams take more risks and throw more, but that should help us in some games too, teams become more 1 dimensional.
    On paper we should easily be a top 5 defense. I don't care much about the yards, but the points are out of whack for this defense.
    On the other hand we gave up 20.8pts per game last year, only 1 fewer point per game than this year.
    I still think by the end of the year we'll be in the top 10.
    I think that has a LOT to do with it - teams are taking more risks because they are behind.
    If you look at the games where we were behind or the score was close, our D is able to hold them.
    But if you see games like Baltimore and Green Bay, where we are off to a huge lead, they seem to be able to catch up.

    Maybe part of it is our offense goes more conservative while their offense gets more aggressive.
    That means the defense is on the field more, and they could be getting tired.
    Maybe it is just coincidence.
    Who knows. Whatever the reason, I think that this is the sole area of our game where we need to improve.
    But then shouldn't those teams, who are suddenly taking more risks, also be throwing more INT's because they are pressured and more prone to making mistakes? I just don't see our secondary challenging passes or capitalizing on the increased opportunities that should come from that added risk.

    It is almost like we are saying to offenses " There is no way you are going to run on us and we will do everything in our power to stop you from doing it, but if you want to pass we are OK with that and here is a 15 yard cushion just to prove our sincerity".

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. vote for vikes defense
    By marshallvike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
  2. Vikes offense better than defense
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 02:22 PM
  3. Vikes: #6 Defense
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 11:43 AM
  4. Vikes toying with 3-4 defense?
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
  5. Vikes Defense
    By vikesfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 04:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •