Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

What's with the Vikes Defense?

I was just looking at defensive stats and was shocked to see the Vikes overall D at #19, rush at #7, and pass at #23.

All the talk about becoming the #1 D this year and Vikes are giving up 332yds and 21.8pts per game.
    The only teams held under 20pts are the horrible Lions and Rams.

I'm starting to think the D is playing soft now that the offense can win games.

If defense wins championships then the Vikes need to get their act together and not rely on FF's and sacks to stop opponents.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: What's with the Vikes Defense?

"gagarr" wrote:
    I was just looking at defensive stats and was shocked to see the Vikes overall D at #19, rush at #7, and pass at #23.

All the talk about becoming the #1 D this year and Vikes are giving up 332yds and 21.8pts per game.

If defense wins championships then the Vikes need to get their act together and not rely on FF's and sacks to stop opponents.
    I just don't get it. I mean part of it is that we are getting leads so teams take more risks and throw more, but that should help us in some games too, teams become more 1 dimensional.
    On paper we should easily be a top 5 defense. I don't care much about the yards, but the points are out of whack for this defense.
    On the other hand we gave up 20.8pts per game last year, only 1 fewer point per game than this year.
    I still think by the end of the year we'll be in the top 10.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

You have to put those stats into context.
    For example, the Vikings are giving up 94.8 yds/game on average and the league leader, the Steelers are giving up 76.6 yds/game.
    There are only nine teams giving up less than 100 yds/game.

If you look at the pts given up per game the Vikings are giving up 21.8 pts/game and the least points given up is by the Colts at 13 pts/game.
    The range from the 6th least pts given up (Bengals) to the 19th least pts given up (Vikings) is 18.3 pts/game to 21.8 pts/game....about a field goal.
    The numerical ranking should be grouped statistically for it to have any meaning.
    Now, if you look at the best (Colts) at 13 pts/game versus the worse (Titans) at 30.1 pts/game you see some serious seperation.

As this stuff sorts itself out more throughout the season more of the statistics will become obvious.
    Right now I just hope the difference between the Vikings pts for is greater than the pts against.
    That keeps things simpler.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

A number of those yards and points were given up in the second half when we're playing with a large lead... its rather frustrating to see a blow out turn into a close game.
    The coaching staff really needs to do something about it.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

It's improving. Too many lapses, and a bit of prevent mentality when in the lead.
    I expect them to continue to improve as the season wears on.
    I think they are the leading team in sacks.
    That's something to build off of.
    They do need to practice tackling.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I have to go to class, so I'm just gonna repeat what I said in the Sharper thread. Ignore anything about Sharper, it's mostly about the cover 2 and why I think we're not playing as well as we could. By no means trying to derail with the Sharper stuff, so please, ignore it.

Even though that "project safety" outproduced him in interceptions? Which is all anyone seems to care about on here, but if they knew anything about the cover 2 defense we play they'd be aware that Cover 2 safeties are not supposed to ballhawk, and historically have made very few picks. John Lynch and Dexter Jackson only combined for a handful interceptions during the Bucs 2002 super bowl run. Since the arrival of Lovie Smith, a safety playing for the Bears has only had more than 3 interceptions two times, totals of 4 and 5 by Ricky Manning.

The guys in the underneath zones are the ones who put up the interception numbers. There's no stat for it, but I'd be willing to bet many of the interceptions by Bears and Bucs safeties who have put up 3+ INTs have been off of balls batted by a linebacker.

Our defensive numbers have gone down for the reasons you stated in your previous post V, which was a very good post btw.

Winfield is hurt, and we're facing more passing teams when we have big leads.

Passing numbers are up all over the NFL this season, not just against us.

We're blitzing linebackers more than we should, playing too deep with our safeties, and giving way too big of a cushion on the corners.

We should be using our corners to funnel receivers in and keep them away from the sidelines, allowing linebackers to pick them up, or give the safeties more time to expand. We're missing tackles, allowing far more YAC than we should be. I think some of the missed tackles on the part of the safeties comes from the depth they're playing with. They come from so far away from the play that they're flying past the guy they're trying to tackle, which is why we see the swinging arm tackles. I say bring the corners and safeties 5 yards closer to the line of scrimmage, rotate Edwards and Robison more frequently, or put 3 DEs on the field at times to replace Big Pat, and stop blitzing LBs on passing downs and a lot of our problems will be alleviated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/flash/2005/coverTwo

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...on-the-Tampa-2

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...ungy-s-Tampa-2

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-se...on-the-Tampa-2

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

I just don't get it. I mean part of it is that we are getting leads so teams take more risks and throw more, but that should help us in some games too, teams become more 1 dimensional.
    On paper we should easily be a top 5 defense. I don't care much about the yards, but the points are out of whack for this defense.
    On the other hand we gave up 20.8pts per game last year, only 1 fewer point per game than this year.
    I think that has a LOT to do with it - teams are taking more risks because they are behind.
    If you look at the games where we were behind or the score was close, our D is able to hold them.
    But if you see games like Baltimore and Green Bay, where we are off to a huge lead, they seem to be able to catch up.

Maybe part of it is our offense goes more conservative while their offense gets more aggressive.
    That means the defense is on the field more, and they could be getting tired.
    Maybe it is just coincidence.
    Who knows. Whatever the reason, I think that this is the sole area of our game where we need to improve.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

I think that has a LOT to do with it - teams are taking more risks because they are behind.
    If you look at the games where we were behind or the score was close, our D is able to hold them.
    But if you see games like Baltimore and Green Bay, where we are off to a huge lead, they seem to be able to catch up.

Maybe part of it is our offense goes more conservative while their offense gets more aggressive.

Who knows. Whatever the reason, I think that this is the sole area of our game where we need to improve.
    One thing was obvious in this games lapse. The defense wasn't getting much pressure for a good portion of the third quarter.
    When the game got close, they started getting pressure again.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Whatever it is..
    I hope it gets fixed.
    It'll give us all aneurisms by the end of the season..
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

One thing was obvious in this games lapse. The defense wasn't getting much pressure for a good portion of the third quarter.
    When the game got close, they started getting pressure again.
    Which is really suprising, you would expect guys like Allen, pat and Kevin who are veterans and great players to keep up the intensity for 60 minutes. And with a big league knowing the offense will be passing most of the time you'd expect them to pin their ears back and go for rodgers.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast