Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

What's the Problem?

A. Winfield
    B. Williams
    C. Chavous
    B. Russell

Are secondary is ranked like dead last in the league, but when you look at our players you go :scratch: . Who do we point the finger at. I have been looking at secondary's across the league wondering what they got that we dont have. We have what i believe are two good CB's and two good Safeties. Whats the problem, is it the coaching, the players themselves or the fact that teams go into games attacking our secondary non stop?

Purpleshrine is offline Training Camp

What's the Problem?

The #1 reason has been pass rush.

I think Russell has srtuggled a little this year. I remember him getting is ass chewed quite a bit in the Houston game. Look at Houston's final TD pass. Carr looked like he through the thing up on a prayer and Russell was still late getting to the ball.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

What's the Problem?

No its not really the pass rush, its morely the lbers since some of them are young and inexperienced like smith, nattiel, henderson ( hasnt done too much at lber), thomas.

People are picking on our lbers, thats why there is so many catches over the middle.

O wait dont forget teams like to use 4 wideouts and what does that mean? Nickel and Dime situations for us, which forces us to use guys like ralph brown, terrance shaw, willie offord, etc.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

What's the Problem?

I have to agree with Purpleshrine.

The pass rush is the main problem.

It doesn't matter who you have playing secondary, if the QB has all day back there to throw, with little or no pressure, he is bound to find someone open eventually.

The CB's can only cover the recievers for so long before coverage breaks down and recievers get open.

The main thing our D is lacking in my opinion is we are not forcing the opposing QB's make enough mistakes. We need to get pressure on them and make him throw the ball away, or sack him, or get pressure on him and force him to throw an INT or an incomplete pass.

It seems like we are playing a soft defense and hoping the other team screws up for us. That will only work for so long.

Talent-wise, and even coaching-wise, our defense is not bad. What we are lacking is experience and confidence. Hopefully that will come with time and we will gel by the end of the season.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

What's the Problem?

I admit our pass rush has improved over the past two weeks, but it was pretty bad the first 3 games. After Dallas the coaches called out the whole line for being undisciplined, After Philly they called out Hovan, After CHI Tice called out one player and later Udeza admitted it was him who had the bad game. I agree the inexperience at LB has also played a major role, but for having 3 1st Rounders on our front four, it should be better.

The 4 wideout sets also mean there is one less person to help block, which means we should be getting even more pressure.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

What's the Problem?

I think that the assessments by you three guys highlight the real problem with our defense...the fact that the d-line, 'backers and d-backs are not on the same page...that there are numerous breakdowns in both pass rush and pass coverage...in short, they are not working as a unit yet...but I have hope that given time, the talent will shine through and they will gel as a unit and really take off...hopefully in the playoffs!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

What's the Problem?

Our problem is the playcalling, not the personnel. It seems like every play we go into a prevent-like defense.

Cotrell, start blitzing more.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

What's the Problem?

You can't really say that we were real conservative against the Saints though. We were blitzing two safties at once. Playcalling was to conservative to begin with, but I didn't mind the playcalling that much against the Saints because we were being aggressive. Except towards the end of the half when they put together a scoring drive with only 3 plays.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

What's the Problem?

My unbiased opinion is you're a year away from gellin'.

You have a lot of new people and a lot of rooks and 2nd year guys. Most of these guys aren't even 24 yet, and in their prime.

Give it some time, and your coaches time to start adjusted the schemes to the personnel.

Just MHO.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

What's the Problem?

It all starts on the line. Get a good, effective pass rush to pressure the QB to make some misjudged, hurried throws. Yes, our LB's lack the experience of picking up recievers, but that will come in time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast