Re: What's the 98 deal?

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    Because Moss was drafted by the Vikings in '98,
    silly.

And it's well documented that most older fans don't like Moss.
    That is completely false.
    Most fans liked Moss when he was on the team.
    He left.
    People that have been around have seen a lot of good players come and go and they continue to follow the team.
    There is a group of fans that whined, and some continue to, about a single player leaving the team.
    It's not about not liking Moss, it's about moving on.

We all began to like the Vikings for a variety of reasons, no problem with that.
    The folks that follow the team for the sake of an individual player come and go.
    I, for one, won't shed a tear when they leave.
    Most of us on this site are here for the long haul, which will make the SB championship that much sweeter.
    He "left", sure. However, it was the manner in which he "left". Remember the greazy, old, fat, red-headed rich guy that couldn't handle the criticism?
    My Moss debate in this thread ends with this post.

Guess what?
    He is not on the team anymore.
    Guess what?
    I do not care.
    Guess what?
    It happened years ago.
    Guess what?
    He ain't coming back.
    Guess what?
    I am still a fan of the Vikings and have seen better players than Moss leave.

Go Vikings!

Did I mention Moss haters are intolerable....jeez.

One guy asks a question, another answers it, and the whole thread blows up.
    Yeah right!
    You wrote nothing inflammatory and are completely innocent and didn't know before you wrote it that you would cause an argument!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    [quote author=PurplePackerEater link=topic=29681.msg506449#msg506449 date=1165447403]
    silly.

He left.
    People that have been around have seen a lot of good players come and go and they continue to follow the team.
    There is a group of fans that whined, and some continue to, about a single player leaving the team.

We all began to like the Vikings for a variety of reasons, no problem with that.
    The folks that follow the team for the sake of an individual player come and go.
    Most of us on this site are here for the long haul, which will make the SB championship that much sweeter.
    He "left", sure. However, it was the manner in which he "left". Remember the greazy, old, fat, red-headed rich guy that couldn't handle the criticism?

Guess what?
    Guess what?
    I do not care.
    Guess what?
    It happened years ago.
    Guess what?
    He ain't coming back.
    Guess what?

Go Vikings!

Did I mention Moss haters are intolerable....jeez.

One guy asks a question, another answers it, and the whole thread blows up.
    Yeah right!
    You wrote nothing inflammatory and are completely innocent and didn't know before you wrote it that you would cause an argument!

[/quote]

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    silly.

Listen hear young whipper-snapper....lol!

It's not that we do not like him; we just do not associate him as the "face" or the Vikings historically like many post '98 fans do.
    That's all.

I was born in 1989, so I had just turned 9 years old and started playing in my first football season in 1998, so if you wanna call a 9 year old a bandwagon fan, even though my dad has always loved the Vikings, during their 70s success, so I guess he's a bandwagoner too.

As for Ultra's post, I feel I'm speaking for some of the younger guys on this site when I say, Moss is all we knew as the face of the organization, for the first 7 years of my life as a true football fan Moss was here and dominating, I loved knowing that at anytime we could score, but now it's a slower, different type of offense, and I do understand and appreciate that, it is essentially the same type of offense my teams have run my entire life, but it's just different from what I and many others learned to love at the beginning of our careers as fans.

By removing all we knew and loved at the time was a real shocker and a saddening thing, just to realize that the team you love the most will have a complete identity change, from exciting, but not great, to very boring and potentially great.

After a year or two, which is 25% of the time I've spent as a Vikings fan in my life, which doesn't seem like much to the older guys, since they've been vikings fans for 20, 30- even 40 years and the high flying, big play phase was just that, a phase to them.

When something is all you know it is very difficult to get away from.

And that is why the "98ers" may be criticized or called bandwagoners, but in reality it's not that they/we are bandwagoners, or don't understand the game it's just the team from 98 to 2004 is all we knew.

In a year or two the entire 98er vs. Oldy thing will be over.

Winning solves everything.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    silly.

It's not that we do not like him; we just do not associate him as the "face" or the Vikings historically like many post '98 fans do.
    That's all.

I was born in 1989, so I had just turned 9 years old and started playing in my first football season in 1998, so if you wanna call a 9 year old a bandwagon fan, even though my dad has always loved the Vikings, during their 70s success, so I guess he's a bandwagoner too.

As for Ultra's post, I feel I'm speaking for some of the younger guys on this site when I say, Moss is all we knew as the face of the organization, for the first 7 years of my life as a true football fan Moss was here and dominating, I loved knowing that at anytime we could score, but now it's a slower, different type of offense, and I do understand and appreciate that, it is essentially the same type of offense my teams have run my entire life, but it's just different from what I and many others learned to love at the beginning of our careers as fans.

By removing all we knew and loved at the time was a real shocker and a saddening thing, just to realize that the team you love the most will have a complete identity change, from exciting, but not great, to very boring and potentially great.

After a year or two, which is 25% of the time I've spent as a Vikings fan in my life, which doesn't seem like much to the older guys, since they've been vikings fans for 20, 30- even 40 years and the high flying, big play phase was just that, a phase to them.

And that is why the "98ers" may be criticized or called bandwagoners, but in reality it's not that they/we are bandwagoners, or don't understand the game it's just the team from 98 to 2004 is all we knew.

There's nothing wrong with that at all....little boy!

;D

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I hate the '98 fans are a different breed BS.
    Yea, I'm a '98 fan, and yea it was because of Moss but WTF, I was 10 years old then.
    I was just getting into the NFL and I looked for a team with a player I could admire.
    I found Randy Moss and I became a Vikings fan.
    Plus, Vikings are just badass anyways.
    Everyone has their reasons to start liking a team.
    It's not like you come out of your mother wearing a Vikings jersey.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    I hate the '98 fans are a different breed BS.
    Yea, I'm a '98 fan, and yea it was because of Moss but WTF, I was 10 years old then.
    I was just getting into the NFL and I looked for a team with a player I could admire.
    I found Randy Moss and I became a Vikings fan.
    Plus, Vikings are just badass anyways.
    Everyone has their reasons to start liking a team.
    It's not like you come out of your mother wearing a Vikings jersey.
    ;D, I think someone had a picture like that in one of the 'true fan' debates that surfaces every offseason.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    silly.

That's all.
    Alot of the younger fans that we have started liking the Vikes becuase of the young punk from Hillbilly land.
    If most of those people are still fans and still only think about Moss they need sit down and real about the Vikings from the very beginning.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

After all this franchise has been through since 1998, how anyone still loyal could be construed as a bandwagon fan is beyond me.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Acumen" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    silly.

He left.

Guess what?
    Guess what?
    I do not care.
    Guess what?
    It happened years ago.
    Guess what?
    He ain't coming back.
    Guess what?

Go Vikings!

If that's true . . . it's not by many.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    silly.

That's all.

There's nothing wrong with that at all....little boy!

;D
    Just because Im younger doesn't mean Im little, I'm probably bigger than you are ;D :P

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast