Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    594

    What is YOUR top 10? Go 15 if you feel the need!

    As you might have already guessed, I'm stuck in the house a lot. I was disabled in 2005, and having small children, I am the at-home dad with a lot of mental down time. Watching a 4 year old and a 2 year old play is required, but it doesn't take a lot of brain power.

    I tell you this because I have found myself obsessed with the Vikings "top picks" board, or whatever their top to bottom value system is called. Now, I know we will not get to see this before May 8th, if ever, but why not have some fun and make our own? If we get enough people imputing their values, maybe we could make a "consensus" board. This is specifically for the Vikings, if that makes a difference to anyone making their list.

    Here is mine; I might add a few later, but I'll stick to 10 for now:
    01) Clowney
    02) Manziel
    03) Bortles
    04) Mack
    05) Watkins
    06) Barr
    07) Gilbert
    08) Pryor (I just think Zimmer can do more with this guy)
    09) Clinton-Dix
    10) Bridgewater

    I DO reserve the right to change this around as my good friends here at PurplePride educate me!!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  2. #2
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,510
    Gosh, I don't even know if I could do a "top 10", because there aren't 10 players I feel are worthy of the Vikings selecting at #8. Some would be pure guesswork, because I don't know if their skills would translate to the type of system I think the Vikings are going to run. For instance, I don't know if OLB Barr from UCLA can really play OLB in a 4-3...just seems more like a 3-4 pass rush OLB to me. I'm also not sure I'd rate any of the QBs worthy of picking at #8, but I'll probably throw a few in there. And some guys, like Clowney, might be great but I think we might have enough DEs (though BRob is getting up in age)

    1. Khalil Mack (and if I could take him at all 10 spots, I would)
    2. Mike Evans
    3. Sammy Watkins
    4. Zack Martin (I'd move him to LG)
    5. Blake Bortles
    6. Justin Gilbert
    7. Darqueze Dennard
    8. Anthony Carr
    9. Jadaveon Clowney
    10. CJ Mosely
    SKOL VIKINGS!

  3. #3
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    As you might have already guessed, I'm stuck in the house a lot. I was disabled in 2005, and having small children, I am the at-home dad with a lot of mental down time. Watching a 4 year old and a 2 year old play is required, but it doesn't take a lot of brain power.

    I tell you this because I have found myself obsessed with the Vikings "top picks" board, or whatever their top to bottom value system is called. Now, I know we will not get to see this before May 8th, if ever, but why not have some fun and make our own? If we get enough people imputing their values, maybe we could make a "consensus" board. This is specifically for the Vikings, if that makes a difference to anyone making their list.

    Here is mine; I might add a few later, but I'll stick to 10 for now:
    01) Clowney
    02) Manziel
    03) Bortles
    04) Mack
    05) Watkins
    06) Barr
    07) Gilbert
    08) Pryor (I just think Zimmer can do more with this guy)
    09) Clinton-Dix
    10) Bridgewater

    I DO reserve the right to change this around as my good friends here at PurplePride educate me!!
    Matthews or Robinson or both need to be in the top ten. Matthews is a very athletic LT, probably the most important position after QB. Robinson is a huge road grader and vey nimble for his size and if he can be coached up to pass block could be an all pro in two years.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    224
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Matthews or Robinson or both need to be in the top ten. Matthews is a very athletic LT, probably the most important position after QB. Robinson is a huge road grader and vey nimble for his size and if he can be coached up to pass block could be an all pro in two years.
    For what it's worth, my "top 10 board" for the Vikings would be:

    1. Mack
    2. Clowney
    3. Watkins
    4. Bortles
    5. Bridgewater
    6. Gilbert
    7. Barr
    8. Matthews
    9. Dennard
    10. Mosely

    In my opinion, Mack and Clowney both have FREAKISH talent and ability, and are the only 2 players worth moving up for in the draft. Otherwise, I think they could stay right at #8 and draft the best available from these 10 players.

  5. #5
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    594
    I find it interesting that 2 out of 3 would, if they had the first pick of the draft, take Mack over Clowney. I've seen both, and though Mack is DAMN good, Clowney just amazes me. After he finished all the DL drills on his pro day, he then went and did LB drills, and looked better than some of the true LBs from his own team.

    Some coach was asked, "Where will the Texans use Clowney if they draft him?"
    He replied, "Anywhere Clowney wants to." This was an opposing coach talking!!

    I really want to see Bridgewater on Game-changers before I make any decisions on him, because his pro day was so bad. Pro days are throwing under "perfect conditions" so the coaches can see what they will get when the OL does its job, and Bridgewater blew it. Game-changers is a mix of playing against air, but under the scrutiny of Hall of Famers. This one goes to 11!!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  6. #6
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    For what it's worth, my "top 10 board" for the Vikings would be:

    1. Mack
    2. Clowney
    3. Watkins
    4. Bortles
    5. Bridgewater
    6. Gilbert
    7. Barr
    8. Matthews
    9. Dennard
    10. Mosely

    In my opinion, Mack and Clowney both have FREAKISH talent and ability, and are the only 2 players worth moving up for in the draft. Otherwise, I think they could stay right at #8 and draft the best available from these 10 players.
    If I am stacking the board I am looking at athleticism but also football players. We have a shot at maybe three players who could be all pros so just being an athlete isn't going to impress me, Webb ring a bell. So the players that IMO opinion have a shot at being pro bowl caliber players are Mack obviously, Watkins and Robinson. Four others I would say are just under that threshold Mosley, Gilbert, Dennard and Matthews. So that is the order in which I would stack the board. The monkey wrench in all of that is the QBs. If Bortles is there at #8 I would take him, I know that is me but I think he has the best potential out of the big three. If Manziel is there I would try to trade down a few and take him later. Other than that my top ten would be

    1. Clowney
    2. Mack
    3. Watkins
    4. Robinson
    5. Mosley
    6. Gilbert
    7. Dennard
    8. Matthews
    9. Barr
    10. Shazier


    As I stated if Bortles or Manziel make it to us they should be our pick, this is just the best 10 players I think we should draft taking the QBs out of the equation.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    594

    What is YOUR top 10? Go 15 if you feel the need!

    I'm really surprised more people have not chimed in on this. Everyone seems to have strong opinions as to who is worth our #8, but it's a lot easier to look at individual players and grade their spot taken than going through who should be picked when to justify the player you want BEING THERE when 8 rolls around.

    That's why boards are so useful, so you can look at who you think should be gone, and if they aren't, you have picks of value to choose from.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  8. #8
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841
    I think I'm having a hard time taking off my purple glasses...I want to look at it more as a who do I think helps the Vikings most, rather than an overall big board...

    Mack (best LB fills our biggest need)
    Watkins (the opposite of CP in that he already knows the routes etc)
    Mathews (probowl LG prospect who can play outside too)
    Evans (insane catching radius to make off target QBs look good)
    Bortles (the proto-typical passer with underrated athleticism and plenty arm for Norv)
    Clowney (just such a luxury pick with all we have on DL already)
    Gilbert (return skills and top athletic ability)
    Manziel (very intriguing but also a bit of a gamble)
    Barr (only a good fit if we go more 3-4 than I expected)
    Mosley (instinctive defensive leader who's specialty is coverage fills that huge hole mentioned up top)
    Bridgewater (more of a WC guy, less of a fit for Norv)

    Athletically, I think Robinson belongs higher on the list, right up there with Mathews, but where would we play him? While JM has experience at OG, GR just seems a bit too big and slow for LG...? Or would moving him inside make him even more dominant!? Again, I find myself wondering if we could plug a road grader in at RG and move Fusco to LG...?


    What ya'all think about that list?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  9. #9
    purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    158
    Blog Entries
    1
    Clowney
    watkins
    mack
    mathews
    evans
    mosely
    derrdennard
    gibert
    johny football still not sure on this one

  10. #10
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880

    What is YOUR top 10? Go 15 if you feel the need!

    I like the idea of the thread, even though no one here is qualified to make this list, but hey, it's as good as all the other joker's making the lists for us to digest.

    What I think it does show that is more than likely similar across the NFL is how much variance there will be in how players are placed on different boards.

    Which dives into the whole reach concept that fans are so willing to dive into. If an organization rates a player higher than the next organization and picks him accordingly are they really reaching? IMO, they only reached if the player doesn't work out. After all, that is all that matters right....not how are picks match up to our belief on players rankings or so called experts lists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •