Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What are your "Keys" to the Vikes Success in 2011

First, lets start this thread with the assumption that some of these keys won't be recieved with open arms by fans of a player if you mention him in a negative light so try to be nice to each other as some of these things come out.

Second, this isn't only limited to coaches and players. Fans, local policiticians, FO staff (pukes) and the Ownership Group are all fare game.

Having said that, here are the things I will be watching very closely this year and will probably make copious notes about as I chart the games:

1. LDE - Will Rob be able to hold up against the run in our base and still be an effective pass rusher in passing downs. If not, follow-on thing to watch/key will be who steps into the void? Will someone be brought in for him on those passing downs and will that guy be effective.

2. DT - Will the middle of the defensive line get a push on passing downs or will QB's be allowed to step up into the pocket and away from the edge rushers?

3. JA - He didn't see many doubles in pre-season (what action he did see). Will he return to form and pull the extra blocker out, away from the DT's or will he be taken, upfield, out of the plays by a single blocker.

4. OL Health - Will the OL stay healthy this year? I like what we have in starters, but for once, I tend to agree with Singer in that we really don't have alot of depth behind them.

5. Blocking Scheme (Running game) - Will they continue to use the ZB'ng scheme, as they have this preseason or will the gravitate away from it as the OL gets used to each other? If they do gravitate away, what will Sully do without help from Hutch and Herrera especially considering there is no FB in the backfield.

6. Distractions - Will contract issues cause players to shut it down/protect themselves. Will the stadium effort start to be a distractor for the team?

Overall I still say we have a pretty talented team that I think will be damn competitive each and every week especially if we can overcome a few issues, mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

Heres to a great season with lots and lots of great discussions.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: What are your "Keys" to the Vikes Success in 2011

They need to dominate at home, as usual. In 09 they were 9-0 at home, 4-5 on the road counting playoffs.
    In 2010 they were 4-2 inside the dome, and 2-8 away from the dome. I think if they win the vast majority at home they will be in contention late, if they don't they will not.
    Being 13-2 inside the dome the last 2 years gives me confidence they will be ok.
    A big key to that is going to be crowd energy, and crowd noise. One concern I have is the new roof. Along with it they hung crap to stop the echo effect. While this will be nice for hearing the announcers, and possibly for future concerts and such, I think it could dampen the decibal level that our pass rushers feed on, lessening the home field advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1107733
    They need to dominate at home, as usual. In 09 they were 9-0 at home, 4-5 on the road counting playoffs.
    In 2010 they were 4-2 inside the dome, and 2-8 away from the dome. I think if they win the vast majority at home they will be in contention late, if they don't they will not.
    Being 13-2 inside the dome the last 2 years gives me confidence they will be ok.
    A big key to that is going to be crowd energy, and crowd noise. One concern I have is the new roof. Along with it they hung crap to stop the echo effect. While this will be nice for hearing the announcers, and possibly for future concerts and such, I think it could dampen the decibal level that our pass rushers feed on, lessening the home field advantage.
    Excellent Keys JMC.

Gotta get loud Purple faithfull.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

With a new Quarterback, Left Tackle, and a few unfamiliar weapons to catch the rock the offense will have to rely heavily on the running game early in the season. Until the passing game has the 'rhythm' in check as the season progresses that is, and we may start seeing the deep passing game in Musgrave's offense utilizing Berrian and Harvin downfield and Jenkins in the redzone.

I am not as pessimistic about the defense being able to regain some semblance of their top 5 form because we lost an overrated Ray Edwards and an aging (declining) Pat Williams... Letroy Guion should be a pleasant surprise in the defensive tackle rotation, and he will need to step up BIG time while 93 rides the plank for the first two weeks...

Young bucks like Ballard and Griffin have me cautiously optimistic, albeit I try not to put too much stock into how players are performing in the exhibition season. Awasom on the other hand has me giddy, he reminds me of a more explosive Jayme Mitchell, and I believe he will bully his way into the nickel rotation by mid season (you cannot ever have enough pass rushers with Rodgers in the division)Essentially the defense just needs to keep the heat on opposing quarterbacks and with the depth of our front line I think the perceived 'deficiencies' in the secondary will be nullified.

Finally, I have been pleasantly surprised by the special teams coverage units, even with Longwell still unable to kick the rock into the endzone it seemed like our preseason opponents started inside the 20 most series'... if that continues it will lead to good things...

JMHO
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Quote Originally Posted by "carta4eva" #1107743
    With a new Quarterback, Left Tackle, and a few unfamiliar weapons to catch the rock the offense will have to rely heavily on the running game early in the season. Until the passing game has the 'rhythm' in check as the season progresses that is, and we may start seeing the deep passing game in Musgrave's offense utilizing Berrian and Harvin downfield and Jenkins in the redzone.

I am not as pessimistic about the defense being able to regain some semblance of their top 5 form because we lost an overrated Ray Edwards and an aging (declining) Pat Williams... Letroy Guion should be a pleasant surprise in the defensive tackle rotation, and he will need to step up BIG time while 93 rides the plank for the first two weeks...

Young bucks like Ballard and Griffin have me cautiously optimistic, albeit I try not to put too much stock into how players are performing in the exhibition season. Awasom on the other hand has me giddy, he reminds me of a more explosive Jayme Mitchell, and I believe he will bully his way into the nickel rotation by mid season (you cannot ever have enough pass rushers with Rodgers in the division)Essentially the defense just needs to keep the heat on opposing quarterbacks and with the depth of our front line I think the perceived 'deficiencies' in the secondary will be nullified.

Finally, I have been pleasantly surprised by the special teams coverage units, even with Longwell still unable to kick the rock into the endzone it seemed like our preseason opponents started inside the 20 most series'... if that continues it will lead to good things...

JMHO
    Some more good ones.

Especially like the one on Awasom. I kindof overlooked his play a bit at first, but really started to take notice late in the pre-season.

Gonna add him to my "One to chart" list.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

There are a lot of things one could calls "keys" for this season. Some are specific players, others are positional issues, and yet others are the intangibles. I tend to believe that the latter will be most important for us this year to come.

There is one obvious player, however, who hasn't yet been mentioned in this context but will be absolutely crucial for us. That would be our starting QB, Donovan McNabb. If he can return to some semblance of his Eagles form, we should be fine, but if he plays like a Redskin, we're in serious trouble.

Many have complained about his age, of his being another washed-up retread, but those folks would be well advised to remember that he is younger than Peyton Manning. He still has the physical ability to get it done, if he can keep his head in the game.

Which brings me to my second key: discipline, discipline, discipline.

I like what I've seen so far in this department, although I grant that my exposure has been limited. It seems to me, though, that the coaching staff is doing a fine job of instilling this virtue into our players, especially the young guys. I'm seeing better tackling and fundamentals, and some real energy on kick coverage. We will need to keep that up, and remember not to panic when things start going badly.

Discipline and focus, both on and off the field.

Special Teams is another key for me. It's a strength for us this year, whereas for many other teams, it is a big weakness. A lot of this is due to my previous key, but there is also a lot of talent there, even with the losses we've had recently. If they keep up the high intensity that I have seen, they could win us a couple of games we might otherwise lose this year.

One final "key," if you will, is our definition of "success." Some, as always, will consider the season a failure if we don't win it all. Others will be happy with a playoff appearance. My own expectations are a bit less. For this season to be a success for me, we need to get back to .500 or better and show that we're building for the future. I want to see the young guys step up and make an impact. I want to know that we haven't put too much into winning right now, but are working to improve our team down the line. If I come out feeling positive about 2012 when we are done in 2011, I will consider it a moderate success.

One last thing, which should be an obvious key for any team. We need to stay as healthy as possible. I'll take our starters up against anyone in the league, but we have serious depth issues in many places. This is a real luck factor, but hopefully, the discipline I mentioned earlier will be of some help here. IMO, players who are focused are less likely to get hurt in some stupid way. You;'ll always have some, but if we can avoid the stupider injuries, it will go a long way.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Keeping this simple.

Ball control. With a run heavy offense and a defense that doesn't create many turnovers in the passing game we just cannot afford to be sloppy with the ball.

I expect our defense to be its typical bend but don't break self with some added pressure, more creative blitz packages, and hopefully more stunts to free up JA.

Offensively I believe we have the potential to be one of the better offenses in the league but we have to cut out the penalties that we have a habit of getting when we get into the red zone. We have a 3rd and short that turns into a 3rd and 13. It absolutely has to be erased.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Limit the Chargers deep ball success:

Cover 2 execution-
    Safety play against Rivers has me concerned.

Cook has me concerned going into this game as well, but with Malcolm and Vincent both at 6-5, I think he needs to take one of them on, at least part of the time. Griffin, if healed, I'm more comfortable with, but both will need safety help deep and LB help short, the cover 2 thing needs to work.

Pass rush --
    At least needs to put enough pressure on Rivers to get rid of the ball quickly. I expect Pagac to throw in a number of blitz packages (because he will need to), adding to the risk of the above.

Vikings offense:

McNabb --
    I think he is the key to our chances of winning this game. He needs to be effective in moving the ball around and taking some of the pressure off of AD. As the Chargers no doubt will plan on stopping AD as plans A, B and C. I think we need a big game from Harvin as well.

AD --
    Even though he will be the focus of attention, he needs to keep them focused on him by having some success and allowing play actions, TE releases, etc to counter it. This is a large part of the value that AD brings to the team that is not measured in a stat column.

Anxious to get the season started and see how this team performs in a real game.

Bump.

A few more added by our good friends Tasty, Freakout and Carta...

Can't quote, but I like specifically liked these.....

1. Intangibles.
    2. Play action effectiveness.
    3. Ball control - Really really good one.
    4. ST's play.

Keep em coming people.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Win more than you lose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast