Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    No he's not. The day of the pro-day, there were plenty of articles on cnnsi calling it an "average" showing, which was a disappointment given how well other guys looked. As days turned into weeks, the narrative changed and now the "average" showing has become "terrible."

The wild rising and sliding caused by perceived minor issues is laughable. Johnny all over the place because of his attitude. Teddy over an average pro-day (!!). Carr over his last college game. I'm sure most of it is caused by writers needing material to fill the long void between actual football events with "news", and I suspect that most scouts and coaches are more concerned about the game tape.

With Teddy, that game tape should show that he is as accurate with a linebacker steaming towards his chest as he is in shorts.

Is he a sure thing? Nah. There's no Andrew Luck or John Elway in this draft. However, viewing him as something other than a top option is silly.
    Mayock's opinion "average at best" we know what that means.

Mark Dominik: Teddy Bridgewater’s problems go beyond Pro Day | ProFootballTalk

"Former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater’s draft stock has appeared to decline dramatically in recent weeks, as a disappointing Pro Day has led to talk that he’s not the potential No. 1 overall pick that he was proclaimed to be during the 2013 season. But one NFL personnel man says that in reality, Bridgewater’s stock was never that high to begin with."

Talk now is that QB Teddy Bridgewater could fall to 2nd round - CBSSports.com

"Now, after a disappointing pro day for Bridgewater and way too much time for the rest of us to think about what that means, we're talking about him as a second-round pick."

Teddy Bridgewater: Breaking Down Louisville QB's Pro Day Workout | Bleacher Report

Teddy Bridgewater pro day: How will this affect Louisville QB's 2014 NFL draft stock? | Audibles - SI.com

The rub is that if a quarterback waits for his pro day to show off, then he needs to do just that. Bridgewater, by most accounts, fell short.

"How is that even possible? NFL scouts will now try to figure that out. Bridgewater waited for his comfortable surroundings, with teammates he was familiar with, and a sequence of throws planned out in advance. Why would he be anything less than sensational?"

"The young signal-caller needed a big performance considering who was in attendance, and he didn't exactly pass the test with flying colors."

Mike Mayock of NFL Network called Bridgewater's pro day "very average at best" on the network's telecast after Bridgewater was finished, per insider Ian Rapoport. In response to that, NFL.com's Bryan Fischer noted how rare it was to hear that a top QB prospect's pro day wasn't going well:

I have looked at many articles and the best I have found is Mayock who said his pro day was average at best. I don't know about you but when someone says that it doesn't mean it was average it means if you are looking at it with rose colored glasses it was average (someone who wants to see his pro day successful no matter the true outcome), so his pro day was disappointing to say the least. Which is backed up by his fall in the draft.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    2014's Quarterback Conundrum - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com

Really in depth breakdown of the top 4 QBs, where they targeted most, where they succeeded and how well they faired vs. pressure and the blitz. Well worth a read if you haven't taken the time to yet.
    It looks, depending on what type of pass system Turner wants to employ, Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel all could fit nicely accuracy wise.

The last graphs were what I found the most telling; Teddy and Blake both throw a LOT of passes within the first 10 yards. Manziel's "red dots" are all over the place, and down the field. In other words, he can (and WILL) spread his passes all over the field, you cannot expect him to stick to the short high percentage shots.

But will that translate to the NFL? Teddy looks to be (if he pans out into a NFL QB) like a Alex Smith. Short to medium passes to receivers, then allowing them to do the damage. Bortles looks to be a Peyton clone, but he will need at LEAST a year to get there, and only then will we know if we wasted the pick.

I think Manziel will show his worth, or lack therein, on the practice field the first time they put on pads. Either he will adjust to the speed at which his own CBs and LBs are moving at in Viking's scrimmages, or he will suffer greatly.

Carr, I just don't like. Don't ask me why, perhaps that bowl game he utterly failed at affected me way too much, but I am secretly hoping the Jags pick him, or maybe Cleveland. I could be wrong, but there is something there that shoots warning signals through my brain.

BTW, THANK YOU for linking that again. I did read it earlier in the year, but completely forgot about it.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    just for the record, I don't think Bridgewater is a terrible QB. I think you will get an average to above average QB if you draft him, he will be pretty good and that is about how high his ceiling is IMO. If we are going to gamble with our 8th pick then really gamble and pick Bortles or Manziel. Manziel is going to be a huge gamble but he could really be great. Bortles is going to need at least a year but he has all the tools to be a great QB. So if we trade back into the middle of the first round and draft Bridgewater I wouldn't be very disappointed but I won't be elated either. I guess it just depends on where we draft Bridgewater, if we can get him in the second round then that is a steal.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Don't look for a first year, defensive minded coach to gamble on a QB. None of these QBs is good enough to help our offense compensate for a truly terrible defense. I look for Zimmer to shore up the D and take a QB later in the draft. That's what I'd do if I were either Zimmer or Speilman, who also can ill afford another QB bust.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    The wildcard here is, I think Spielman (if HE is sold on Manziel) might be more willing to pull THAT trigger; with JFM being so dynamic, if he busts completely Spielman might think the fans will give him a pass. Manziel is one of those players that can inspire that type of risk, and he is a popular figure in the football world.

That being said, if Spielman is the only person with the Vikings who wants him, I really hope we pass. I would hate for there to be ANOTHER schism between the GM and Coach in the Vikings organization.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456