Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. #41
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Attachment 549

    If you had to pick one method of evaluating players, would you take several years of game film, or a pro-day?
    Why in the hell would I pick one method of evaluating players? I simply pointed out that your point of how good he did against crappy ass college defenses is no better than someone's point that he did shitty as fuck in his Pro Day.

    You DONT HAVE TO PICK ONE. That is why they don't. There is film, games and Pro Days and they all have very set purposes. Coaches get ALOT from Pro Days. When a guy slips after his Pro Day it is normally because there are FUNDAMENTAL issues. Those are tough to fix.

    To simply say that Bridgewater sucking on his Pro Day doesn't matter because he was good a little in college (which, by the way, he was not that special statistically speaking either) is ridiculous because I just gave you a list of a ton of QBs that were FAR superior statistically and sucked.

    A good Pro Day does not mean you are great ... a bad Pro Day does not mean you suck ... but they are tools used for evaluation. Acting like the "game tape" and college success tool is any better is simply ignorant. It is just a different tool.

    BTW ... you can show a picture of Russell like he was a "Pro Day" QB ... but he wasn't ... he TORCHED the SEC his junior year and went to the top of the class because of how awful Brady Quinn looked in his pro day.
    Last edited by midgensa; 04-21-2014 at 07:47 PM.

  2. #42
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Why in the hell would I pick one method of evaluating players? I simply pointed out that your point of how good he did against crappy ass college defenses is no better than someone's point that he did shitty as fuck in his Pro Day.

    You DONT HAVE TO PICK ONE. That is why they don't. There is film, games and Pro Days and they all have very set purposes. Coaches get ALOT from Pro Days. When a guy slips after his Pro Day it is normally because there are FUNDAMENTAL issues. Those are tough to fix.

    To simply say that Bridgewater sucking on his Pro Day doesn't matter because he was good a little in college (which, by the way, he was not that special statistically speaking either) is ridiculous because I just gave you a list of a ton of QBs that were FAR superior statistically and sucked.

    A good Pro Day does not mean you are great ... a bad Pro Day does not mean you suck ... but they are tools used for evaluation. Acting like the "game tape" and college success tool is any better is simply ignorant. It is just a different tool.

    BTW ... you can show a picture of Russell like he was a "Pro Day" QB ... but he wasn't ... he TORCHED the SEC his junior year and went to the top of the class because of how awful Brady Quinn looked in his pro day.
    Let me try this again. Which do you feel weighs more heavily with NFL coaches and scouts, the pro day performance, or the years of game tape?

  3. #43
    purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    158
    Blog Entries
    1
    bottom line just look at the kids tape ..game stuff ..is he a leader did he go threw his reads and stand in the pocket .can he take a hit in the mouth ,lead a team from behind ....is the kid a winner .then its up to him the coaches team mates and scheme will he sucssed

  4. #44
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Let me try this again. Which do you feel weighs more heavily with NFL coaches and scouts, the pro day performance, or the years of game tape?
    No one is basing their overall evaluation of Bridgewater on a single Pro Day only. My initial point is that a QB, any QB should have a good if not great Pro Day. It's his day, catered & scripted to his skill set, that he practices before hand over & over. Blowing that Pro Day should throw up red flags regardless of what he did in college. Especially if the majority of the defenses he faced were mediocre.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #45
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    No one is basing their overall evaluation of Bridgewater on a single Pro Day only. My initial point is that a QB, any QB should have a good if not great Pro Day. It's his day, catered & scripted to his skill set, that he practices before hand over & over. Blowing that Pro Day should throw up red flags regardless of what he did in college. Especially if the majority of the defenses he faced were mediocre.
    He had a good Pro day. We have corrupted it into something it wasn't.
    It was an average pro day. He is a timing guy and he showed that. However, beat writers are looking for 50 deep balls. Somethign he doesn't do. He has a good not great arm ( better than Ponders) however, it is hard to show your intangibles during a Pro day. However, our OC liked his pro day. I always wager that several of the stories are to tear him down so that he can be drafted by a team later in the draft.
    Vikings OC Norv Turner Liked Teddy Bridgewater's Pro Day | GridironGrit.com

  6. #46
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    You mean like Drew Brees.



    Brees throws maybe the best ball in the league today.

    Take Pro Day for what it is, a scripted non real scenario where you decide to show what you want to the scouts and its up to the scouts/coaches to try and understand how it would apply in an actual NFL game.

    If you can readily dismiss good performances as having any bearing, then shouldn't poor performances have some level irrelevance as well?
    Add Kurt Warner's "last chance" with the Rams; he himself said they gave him a work out (he was playing Arena Football at the time) and after it was over, he called his wife and said, "Honey, I blew it. It was my last chance, and I blew it." But the Rams saw something in him, and signed him anyway.

    I like Bridgewater's head; he is a damn good kid. He isn't extremely smart, but then, Ponder was frikkin brilliant, and you see where THAT got us. If our line gets back to form, like it should, Teddy might just blossom in Turner's offense; he seems to know what he is about on game day with the right protection and WRs, something Ponder could never get used to... Ponder did his best work when he WASN'T thinking.

    Bortles looks like a Peyton wannabe, which everyone in the NFL looks for. Great size, decent arm, solid decision-making abilities. But I also could see him quickly become a game manager, or just stay a "project passer" for his entire career.

    In the end, Manziel looks the most accurate of the three, he thrives under pressure conditions, and is quick to adjust to a change in conditions. His off-the-field stuff seems so... lack luster to me. I ust don't get what everyone is flipping out about. He did a McDonald's commercial.. OMFG!! He was playing catch with a jet ski... he is out of control!! He signed some gear for a charity event where someone may or may NOT have cashed in... boot him out!! (THAT, IMO, is what has everyone's panties in a bunch... how DARE he allow someone besides the NCAA cash in on his likeness or autograph?!).

    My downside to Manziel is he is young; he is cocky, but has never been taken down a notch, so we have NO idea how he will react when a team like the Seahawk's intercepts him 5 times, and beats him 45-3. How much of a burning desire does he have to be the BEST? Or is being a star more important? And how the HELL do you find out??

    As such, I will be disappointed if we don't go Manziel with #8 if he is still there, but I will completely understand why Spielman/Zimmer did it; though at this point, saying you are not going to take a QB in round 1 might be a smoke screen.

    BTW... as for Rivers, the last comment made:
    ANALYSIS: Rivers is the type of prospect that will draw much debate and discussion leading up to and after draft day. While many criticize his mechanics and throwing fundamentals,

    ***you can not overlook his accuracy or ability to lead a team.****

    Turner does his best work with accurate QBs. I'll ask again, since I'm a dumbass when it comes to knowing where to look that kind of information up: who is the most accurate of the QBs in this year's draft?
    Last edited by drewlovs; 04-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  7. #47
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He had a good Pro day. We have corrupted it into something it wasn't.
    It was an average pro day. He is a timing guy and he showed that. However, beat writers are looking for 50 deep balls. Somethign he doesn't do. He has a good not great arm ( better than Ponders) however, it is hard to show your intangibles during a Pro day. However, our OC liked his pro day. I always wager that several of the stories are to tear him down so that he can be drafted by a team later in the draft.
    Vikings OC Norv Turner Liked Teddy Bridgewater's Pro Day | GridironGrit.com
    You are the only one who is saying he had an average pro day. No one, not an analyst or a coach from a team said he had anything but a bad pro day. If there is someone out there that said that I haven't seen it.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  8. #48
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    You are the only one who is saying he had an average pro day. No one, not an analyst or a coach from a team said he had anything but a bad pro day. If there is someone out there that said that I haven't seen it.
    No he's not. The day of the pro-day, there were plenty of articles on cnnsi calling it an "average" showing, which was a disappointment given how well other guys looked. As days turned into weeks, the narrative changed and now the "average" showing has become "terrible."

    The wild rising and sliding caused by perceived minor issues is laughable. Johnny all over the place because of his attitude. Teddy over an average pro-day (!!). Carr over his last college game. I'm sure most of it is caused by writers needing material to fill the long void between actual football events with "news", and I suspect that most scouts and coaches are more concerned about the game tape.

    With Teddy, that game tape should show that he is as accurate with a linebacker steaming towards his chest as he is in shorts.

    Is he a sure thing? Nah. There's no Andrew Luck or John Elway in this draft. However, viewing him as something other than a top option is silly.

  9. #49
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    Turner does his best work with accurate QBs. I'll ask again, since I'm a dumbass when it comes to knowing where to look that kind of information up: who is the most accurate of the QBs in this year's draft?
    2014's Quarterback Conundrum - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com

    Really in depth breakdown of the top 4 QBs, where they targeted most, where they succeeded and how well they faired vs. pressure and the blitz. Well worth a read if you haven't taken the time to yet.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  10. #50
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage4Order View Post
    QBs from Louisville work out in NFL as well as University of Houston QBs.
    Well, except for a guy named Johnny Unitas...
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •