Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Actually, Turners offense is based on post plays not deep routes. People mistake the Air Corryell;s offense to be exactly that of Turner's. While Turner is a disciple of the Air Corryell, there are differences in the philosophy of the offense.
    If you read my post better. you will see I said vertical passing game. Also I said based upon Don Coryell. I do believe that post routes would be classified as vertical passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Here is his positives...
    If you have an OC that can't work with this... you need a new OC, not a new QB.
    Terrific competitor. Extremely driven to succeed. Well-prepared and confident in his approach. Operated a progression-read offense where he is asked to scan the whole field and help steer protections. Footwork is very clean and in rhythm -- throws on balance with sound mechanics, a fluid delivery and smooth stroke. Very good timing, touch and anticipation throws receivers open. Is patient working through his reads and will step up in the pocket. Sells play-action hard and takes what the defense gives him. Poised in the face of the blitz and often anticipates it coming. Is very mentally and physically tough played through a broken left wrist with a sprained ankle in what was essentially the 2012 Big East championship game, coming off the bench to captain the Cardinals to a come-from-behind victory. Is a student of the game with a very good understanding of football concepts. Plays like a coach on the field, knows the responsibilities of everyone on the field and can get teammates lined up correctly. Makes few mental errors. Consistently moves the chains and comes through in the clutch. Is given a lot of autonomy to make pre-snap reads and adjustments at the line of scrimmage and understands how to exploit defenses. Meticulous in his preparation. Identifies with the game and really works at his craft. Smart, determined and focused. Showed gradual improvement every season. Is only 21 years old -- very mature for his age and can see the big picture. Football is extremely important to him. Highly respected, unselfish team leader. Rises to the occasion on big stages.
    I understand this, what you are saying. But you do not hire Norv Turner as O.C. then draft him a QB that may not fare well in cold and inclimate weather, Which he will face in Minn., Chicago, Green Bay. Not saying I don't think he will be ok in the NFL. But do I think he is a good fit for what Norv does and the Minnesota weather. No I don't.

But at the same time, these are just my thoughts and opinions on the QBs. I have done a lot of research and watching videos of most of these QBs. For all we know Aaron Murray could be the next Joe Montana. Its all just fun speculation and Something to talk about. I can not remember the last time I was this excited for the season to begin, been fan of Vikes since the 70s. I know we need a QB for future. I just hope we hit it right this time. Hell for all we know Ponder could turn into a star with Norv and his offense. LOL !!!! Some QBs can run any offense and some only flourish under certain offenses. So in reality a good majority of these QBs coming out could flourish under the right system. I myself do not see these QBs as stars. But who am I. That's why I don't get paid the big bucks to pick to evaluate and draft players.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I like Manziel because of ALL the QBs in this draft, he has the intangibles that make an elite QB. There is NO guarantees here, he could be a bust, just like most of them will. But If I were going to be right about a QB, I would LOVE to be right about Manziel, because if I am, he a future HoFer. Can you say the same about any of the others?

What I mean is, if Bortles turns out to be what people hope he is, he will be a stable QB that manages our game effectively. If Manziel is the bomb, it means exciting games each time he takes the field.

The only other thing I will say is, my life will not be affected if I am wrong. As such, I will trust, ultimately, our coaches and GM and hope they make the right call. I am SOOO ready for a winner, whoever he is!!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    I believe we will draft the BPA other than a quarterback at number eight. Then Sneaky Ricky will trade back into the first round and Draft Derek Carr, lets say with the 24th pick from the Bengals.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach

what you think about passing on a qb in the first round ...

I think if they do not go QB at 8, and if Bridgewater is still available in the late 20's, Spielman will make that move. Teddy was in Minnesota a lot longer than he should have been, unless the Vikings paid for him to stay to give that appearance.

One other thing on QBs; I am no glory hound, and if I am right about Manziel, I will be happy but not obnoxious. I rarely buy into ANY rookie, the last time I did was Moss. And before you think I'm taking credit for knowing he was a stud, it was a friend I was working with who told me he was jealous we got him, and went OFF on how great Moss was. His enthusiasm sold me on Moss (he was a Cowboys fan), so you can call me a Moss bandwagoner more than a sage of great football talent.

But Manziel.... Sheesh. SOMETHING tells me that guy is going to be THE QB everyone wishes they had drafted. I don't know why I'm sold on him, but there you go...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    im starting to think zim was throwing up a smoke screen on manzeil..why i dont know .hell maybe not ...im torn on this kid ...hey every body and his mother hated ponder ..but we liked his athletic ability ...johny football has twice his athletic ability ...would it be exciting to watch this kid make plays ...YES ...EVEN MORE IF WE ARE WINNING ...BUILD A SOLID DEFENCE FEED AD THE BALL ...AND TURN JOHNY FOOTBALL LOOSE

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage4Order View Post
    If you read my post better. you will see I said vertical passing game. Also I said based upon Don Coryell. I do believe that post routes would be classified as vertical passing game.
    Bridgewater can hit the post with ease.
    We have seen this before but take a 2nd look. Water threw the least amount of screens and the most passes from 1- 10 yards ( the prime post target is 6-7-8 yards and a cut). Why would this guy be unable to.

2014's Quarterback Conundrum - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com

Also I see Rivers being mentioned as a Turner QB. I think that is laughable because the knock on Rivers coming out was his motion and concern about the deep ball. Guy was very accurate but his motion and arm strength was questioned. Yet.... Turn and him made out ok.

SI.com - 2004 NFL Draft - Philip Rivers

NEGATIVES: Has a terrible throwing motion that is best described as awkward. Pushes the ball or whips it from the side and falls out of his throws.

***Looks like he's throwing a heavy ball and constantly changes his point of release. Cannot drive the deep pass and not accurate down the field.*****

ANALYSIS: Rivers is the type of prospect that will draw much debate and discussion leading up to and after draft day. While many criticize his mechanics and throwing fundamentals,

***you can not overlook his accuracy or ability to lead a team.****

May not be a quarterback for everyone and can only fit certain schemes, but a solid first-round selection that could quickly break into a starting lineup at the next level.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    When you script your own Pro Day & cater it to show off your skillset, then practice that script over & over, then blow your Pro Day, it should throw up a lot of red flags. If you can't master your own Pro Day, how are you going to succeed against defenses?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    When you script your own Pro Day & cater it to show off your skillset, then practice that script over & over, then blow your Pro Day, it should throw up a lot of red flags. If you can't master your own Pro Day, how are you going to succeed against defenses?
    I'm not sure, but I'd guess he'd succeed against defenses the way he did when playing quarterback against them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast