Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Anyone care to tell me the knock on Bridgewater?
    Character?
    Accuracy?
    Arm Strength?
    Maturity?
    Leadership?

The guy is everything you ask you in a QB. The only knock on him is that he is 6'2 212lbs and has a smaller build than most would like. So during his pro day he wasn't bad or good. He was average. lets wipe away the fact that he threw for 31/4 and 27/8 in two consecutive years. Or that his accuracy is 71% on the season and 68% last year while throwing in a PRO offense. He doesn't get rattled and stay calm under pressure. While some of the other names you are throwing out, run at the first sight of trouble.

The guy is a gamer and it's sad that "unnamed sources" are trying to tear him down so he can slip. If this guy is there at 8 and we take him I will be very happy. LBs are some of the worst players to take high in a draft. Almost all of them are busts. Remember Jarvis Jones from georgia that everyone wanted? How about the guy the Jets took. How about Curry, McCLain. The list goes on and on. If you pass on a QB for a damn LB... ur an idiot.

The logic of.. this draft isn't good so we should take a lessor Qb is idiotic. Why take one in the 2nd. Hell wai ttill the 7th and draft who is left. The fact remains that Bridgewater is a damn good QB. Is he a world beater like Luck? Nope but he is a bigger Russell Wilson. I will take it.

I would mind if we took Mack and then a 2nd tier QB. However, lets stop tearing the top guys down.

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Anyone care to tell me the knock on Bridgewater?
    Character?
    Accuracy?
    Arm Strength?
    Maturity?
    Leadership?

The guy is everything you ask you in a QB. The only knock on him is that he is 6'2 212lbs and has a smaller build than most would like. So during his pro day he wasn't bad or good. He was average. lets wipe away the fact that he threw for 31/4 and 27/8 in two consecutive years. Or that his accuracy is 71% on the season and 68% last year while throwing in a PRO offense. He doesn't get rattled and stay calm under pressure. While some of the other names you are throwing out, run at the first sight of trouble.

The guy is a gamer and it's sad that "unnamed sources" are trying to tear him down so he can slip. If this guy is there at 8 and we take him I will be very happy. LBs are some of the worst players to take high in a draft. Almost all of them are busts. Remember Jarvis Jones from georgia that everyone wanted? How about the guy the Jets took. How about Curry, McCLain. The list goes on and on. If you pass on a QB for a damn LB... ur an idiot.

The logic of.. this draft isn't good so we should take a lessor Qb is idiotic. Why take one in the 2nd. Hell wai ttill the 7th and draft who is left. The fact remains that Bridgewater is a damn good QB. Is he a world beater like Luck? Nope but he is a bigger Russell Wilson. I will take it.
    I can bet the list for first round QBs that were busts is as long if not longer. Lets just look at 2011 draft. Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, how bout through out the past few years. Leaf, Russell, Couch, Schuler, and the list goes on...

QBs from Louisville work out in NFL as well as University of Houston QBs.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I would mind if we took Mack and then a 2nd tier QB. However, lets stop tearing the top guys down.
    You do realize that nobody on this site has a clue about which QB should be taken or when right?

One opinion is as good as another. Put your hat in the Bridgewater camp and if he succeeds you can be that guy that knew.

Drew is firmly in the Manziel camp and Tark10 is firmly with Bortles. One of you will probably be right, so at least someone on this site can hold the torch for QB evaluator supreme.

Me, I am not afraid to say I don't have a freaking clue...and I don't have a say in it anyways, so that's a good thing.

My limited knowledge tells me Bridgewater and Carr are similar cats that will probably be the safest bets for a west coast style offense. Manziel just needs to go to Cleveland and let him do whatever he wants. Bortles needs to sit for at least a year and should probably be selected no sooner than the bottom half of the first.

Clowney should be the first guy taken in this draft and then Mack, Watkins, Robinson and Mathews are all in the mix as the best talent after him. After that it gets kind of fuzzy.

Here is a draft profile from NFL. com on teddy Bridgewater. Doesn't sound like a qb that fits playing in Norv's offense or outside in Minnesota cold.
    Weaknesses Has a very lean, narrow frame with limited bulk and small hands. Does not drive the ball with velocity down the field and can be affected by cold and windy conditions (see Cincinnati). Can improve placement and touch on the deep ball. Adequate athlete. Is not an overly elusive scrambler -- struggles escaping the rush and buying a second chance with his feet vs. pressure. Passing stats are padded from operating a passing game that relies heavily on short, lateral tosses. Long-term durability could become a concern without continued strength and weight gains.

As far as I am concerned, I don't know who will succeed in NFL or flop no one does. I am just looking at what Norv likes his QBs to be able to do. We brought Norv here to run our offense. Anyone who has been watching and paying attention since the 90s when he became an O.C. Will know he runs a structured offense based upon Air Corryell's offense. Which is a vertical passing game based off of quick and accurate reads. With a lot of Play-action in there too. You don't bring Norv here to draft a QB whose game is all based on improvisation ala Manziel. Or a qb who struggles to drive ball deep ala Bridgewater. From what I know about Norvs QBs Bortles, Carr, Mettenberger, Savage, Matthews are more of the types of QBs Norv wants running his offense. Just my thoughts on this subject...

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    I am pretty much in this exact same boat. I would have no problem with hearing any of the three QBs called (though I would be less excited for Bridgewater) because we NEED to solve our QB issues at some point. If it means taking a QB every year until we have one ... then that is what we kind of need to do.
    I agree, but I think I fixed the last sentence for you!? Hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing two picks spent on QBs this year if they think that is what will hedge our bets at the position. As long as they're not early picks, you can afford to miss on one or even both, and if they both work out well we could always trade one away, or just be happy with our backup for a change.

I also agree that it would seem that Norv would prefer more of a prototypical pocket QB with a big arm to take advantage of all the stacked boxes that Peterson piles up.

I would love to see Mack fall to 8 and land in Purple and Gold! IF he's gone, I think we could move back and grab an extra 2 or 3 and still get Mosley or Gilbert or Dennard, any of which would greatly improve our pass D. I like Mettenberger or Garappolo in the 2nd, or McCarron or Savage in the 3rd or 4th. The only one I hope doesn't end up a Viking is Carr...sure, the comparisons to his brother are unfair, but his bowl game gave us game-tape showing exactly that potential to be flustered by a pro level pass rush.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Rage4Order View Post
    As far as I am concerned, I don't know who will succeed in NFL or flop no one does. I am just looking at what Norv likes his QBs to be able to do. We brought Norv here to run our offense. Anyone who has been watching and paying attention since the 90s when he became an O.C. Will know he runs a structured offense based upon Air Corryell's offense. Which is a vertical passing game based off of quick and accurate reads. With a lot of Play-action in there too. You don't bring Norv here to draft a QB whose game is all based on improvisation ala Manziel. Or a qb who struggles to drive ball deep ala Bridgewater. From what I know about Norvs QBs Bortles, Carr, Mettenberger, Savage, Matthews are more of the types of QBs Norv wants running his offense. Just my thoughts on this subject...
    Actually, Turners offense is based on post plays not deep routes. People mistake the Air Corryell;s offense to be exactly that of Turner's. While Turner is a disciple of the Air Corryell, there are differences in the philosophy of the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage4Order View Post
    Here is a draft profile from NFL. com on teddy Bridgewater. Doesn't sound like a qb that fits playing in Norv's offense or outside in Minnesota cold.
    Weaknesses Has a very lean, narrow frame with limited bulk and small hands. Does not drive the ball with velocity down the field and can be affected by cold and windy conditions (see Cincinnati). Can improve placement and touch on the deep ball. Adequate athlete. Is not an overly elusive scrambler -- struggles escaping the rush and buying a second chance with his feet vs. pressure. Passing stats are padded from operating a passing game that relies heavily on short, lateral tosses. Long-term durability could become a concern without continued strength and weight gains.
    Here is his positives...
    If you have an OC that can't work with this... you need a new OC, not a new QB.
    Terrific competitor. Extremely driven to succeed. Well-prepared and confident in his approach. Operated a progression-read offense where he is asked to scan the whole field and help steer protections. Footwork is very clean and in rhythm -- throws on balance with sound mechanics, a fluid delivery and smooth stroke. Very good timing, touch and anticipation — throws receivers open. Is patient working through his reads and will step up in the pocket. Sells play-action hard and takes what the defense gives him. Poised in the face of the blitz and often anticipates it coming. Is very mentally and physically tough — played through a broken left wrist with a sprained ankle in what was essentially the 2012 Big East championship game, coming off the bench to captain the Cardinals to a come-from-behind victory. Is a student of the game with a very good understanding of football concepts. Plays like a coach on the field, knows the responsibilities of everyone on the field and can get teammates lined up correctly. Makes few mental errors. Consistently moves the chains and comes through in the clutch. Is given a lot of autonomy to make pre-snap reads and adjustments at the line of scrimmage and understands how to exploit defenses. Meticulous in his preparation. Identifies with the game and really works at his craft. Smart, determined and focused. Showed gradual improvement every season. Is only 21 years old -- very mature for his age and can see the big picture. Football is extremely important to him. Highly respected, unselfish team leader. Rises to the occasion on big stages.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast