Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: What would you do?

"Braddock" wrote:
    I have a dear friend of mine who is a Steelers fan. We went to dinner and started talking about the preseason game our teams share against each other. Of course I got cocky and started spouting about how we would beat them by 49 points or more. This, actually, got me thinking though...If you were Childress would you want to go into Pitt, for the Steelers first game since The Superbowl and want to trounce them to show our strength and make a statement against the "Champs", or would you pull out the starters after a modest lead? It is preseason afterall...
    Who cares about preseason except for seeing how out players are working. Win/Lose who cares. Teams that go 4-0 during preason usually go 4-12 during the regular season

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

"Redrouster" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    I have a dear friend of mine who is a Steelers fan. We went to dinner and started talking about the preseason game our teams share against each other. Of course I got cocky and started spouting about how we would beat them by 49 points or more. This, actually, got me thinking though...If you were Childress would you want to go into Pitt, for the Steelers first game since The Superbowl and want to trounce them to show our strength and make a statement against the "Champs", or would you pull out the starters after a modest lead? It is preseason afterall...
    Who cares about preseason except for seeing how out players are working. Win/Lose who cares. Teams that go 4-0 during preason usually go 4-12 during the regular season
    I believe that the Colts went 0-4 in the preseason last year and had a pretty darn good season. Preseason doesn't matter if it means risking your starters. BUT, as Lurtsema says, it does establish a "winning mentality". I still wouldn't leave my 1st team in for longer than 2-3 drives.
    Besides, I'd like to see how some of the new guys perform.
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Braddock" wrote:
    Actually, the Steelers 1st game since the superbowl will be at Arizona Cardinals on Aug. 12th. We don't play them until their 2nd game. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Preseason games are games played against yourself.

The opponent is arbitrary. It is a time to clean up mental mistakes and to see who is going to make that final roster. So no you don't play your starters very much, maybe 1 quarter.

It's for the younger guys to work on assignments, for the coaches to work on managing game clock, and calling plays smoothy and accurately. Getting the punt team on and off the field on time with the correct number of players, getting your FG team in position to go.

Preseason is extreemly important but that importance has nothing to do with who you play or even if you win.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

All I want to see from preseason is how the players look, the schemes the offense and defense are using! Who wins is pointless and doesn't prove anything.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Del Rio" wrote:

The opponent is arbitrary. It is a time to clean up mental mistakes and to see who is going to make that final roster. So no you don't play your starters very much, maybe 1 quarter.

It's for the younger guys to work on assignments, for the coaches to work on managing game clock, and calling plays smoothy and accurately. Getting the punt team on and off the field on time with the correct number of players, getting your FG team in position to go.

Preseason is extreemly important but that importance has nothing to do with who you play or even if you win.
    Perfectly said.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I want to see TJack

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

No way. Remember Steve Spurrier did that with the Redskins his first year. They won like 38-3. I think they won about 5 games in the regular season that year. Not only are you risking injury to key players, you're also gonna upset some other teams. If you play your starters for a quarter and a half and they have 3 possessions, all TD's, and then your subs dominate, too, that's one thing, but you don't want to keep your starters in if you're up 21-0 late in the 1st half, take your starters out.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

I think you play to win even in preseason games. But stick to your preseason game plan. Winning or losing, rotate in your second stringers, third stringer etc. However, if Brad is getting great protection and you need to score to take the lead, let him play an extra series to get the lead. Otherwise don't risk anyone for preseason.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Perfectly said.
    I second that emotion!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast