Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

What would you do?

I have a dear friend of mine who is a Steelers fan. We went to dinner and started talking about the preseason game our teams share against each other. Of course I got cocky and started spouting about how we would beat them by 49 points or more. This, actually, got me thinking though...If you were Childress would you want to go into Pitt, for the Steelers first game since The Superbowl and want to trounce them to show our strength and make a statement against the "Champs", or would you pull out the starters after a modest lead? It is preseason afterall...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Re: What would you do?

"Braddock" wrote:
    I have a dear friend of mine who is a Steelers fan. We went to dinner and started talking about the preseason game our teams share against each other. Of course I got cocky and started spouting about how we would beat them by 49 points or more. This, actually, got me thinking though...If you were Childress would you want to go into Pitt, for the Steelers first game since The Superbowl and want to trounce them to show our strength and make a statement against the "Champs", or would you pull out the starters after a modest lead? It is preseason afterall...
    Pull out the starters after a modest lead. You never show all you have in pre-season!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

beat them anyway possible

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

Pull your starters.

Think about all of the players that go down every year in preseason. Why would you risk Brad Johnson or any of your starters for a preseason game?

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    beat them anyway possible
    Oh ye of little faith. I think once B.Roth gets hit hard by our fit and buff D that he'll start to get gun shy, especially since it's the first game. He'll grow out of it during the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were gun-shy due to his accident. I would like to make a statement, but we CANNOT afford injuries, so I would agree to take the starters out after a nice lead.

....but it'd be so sweet to trounch those steeler bitches. Make up for last season.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Yah, risk injuries for a preseason game that means nada.

Real smart.

I care about the regular season record, not preseason.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Is this what the offseason football discussions have come to? The score has nothing to do with these games. Yeah Childress wants to come away with victories in the preseason but whether or not we should leave the starters in is an absurd question. The starters will play a fixed number of downs or series' to get their reps against other competition in a game setting but by no means is Childress dumb enough to keep them in just for a preseason win. The only statement that would make is that he is the stupidest coach in the league.

[color=red]

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

True that..

One or two drives of the starters..

But seriously, pre-season was designed for rookies and new team mates.. So let the starters (rookies, new guys, and vets alike) play some.. Then put the rookies in.

Even if we lose all 4 pre-season games, it's ok if our team is better and ready for the regular season. We may beat pitts 49-0.. But if BJ goes down, the season becomes a lot harder, and people say, "vikes beat pitts 49-0, but now they can't win anything, too bad..."

NO WAY! do you fight full throttle in a pre-season game.

pre-season games, in short. are designed (as i restate) for the following reasons:
    -getting real action on the field.. seeing how this years' team works
    -giving the die hard fans some sort of football fix until real football starts
    i m better than you, so just give up...

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"Potus2028" wrote:
    pre-season games, in short. are designed (as i restate) for the following reasons:
    -getting real action on the field.. seeing how this years' team works
    -giving the die hard fans some sort of football fix until real football starts
    You forgot
    -$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[color=red]

just adding on to what Potus said, even if we beat Pitt 49-0, nobody's going to make anything of it. They'll just say something "It was only because Ben wasn't in (because he'll definitely be pulled early, with the accident)," or, "because Hines and Porter and Polamalu weren't in."

even if we dominate them, it won't mean anything, and therefore isn't worth the risk.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast