Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Purplefeet is offline Training Camp

Re: What will be your strategy coming out of the bye?

Need to do what Fran did when he had Rashad (not real deep threat) use swing passes to backs and screens to back and TEs to slow rush. Use the short pass like a running game, spread D, draws to backs (we have a fast back, very fast) to break few here and there....and deep hits will open up as D spreads. Same O Montana had in SF....may be used by many but its used because it works. Vertical pass and power rushing game will kill this team....not gonna happen.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Ok, so, what we need is a new playbook, but not gameplaning? What we need is game planing but not a new playbook? Which is it? Or both? And if they have a new playbook, and gameplan, what good would it do? I have seen them change things up. But likely I am delusional.

Back to the playbook bit. Again, which playbook works without an O-line? On the clarification that they run the same plays, what can you change up, with the present book, that doesn't need an O-line? Is there anything in football that you can do on offense without an O-line?

Instead of getting an OC, or Line coach, should we just have the OC/Linecoach do that? Then throw the playbook out. Would that fix things? I would really, really like to hear a something valid about how any play is going to work, without an O-line. And its funny that the wonderful "New Playbook" idea wasn't defended at all.

runtheball is offline Training Camp

Good post UTVikfan No matter what kind of offense you run it will only work if your o line has the size ,speed ,and experience to run block or pass protect. They must work as a cohesive unit. The most successful O lines have worked together to develop this cohesiveness over a few years time. The good teams plan ahead so they only have to replace one guy every year or so and have quality experienced backups. What I am trying to say is you cannot quick fix this O line problem in a couple of weeks. With the line we have we are in trouble for the rest of the season and more likely a couple of seasons.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

1st: Hire a full-time O-line coach. We don't have one & haven't all year. That's were were hurting. You have a coach giving 50% of his attention to play calling & 50% of his time to O-line coach & it shows big time on both counts. A coach should have been hired right after Linehan left.
    For the most part these are the same players we had on a good O-line when Birk has been out before. What's changed: no O-line coach, no Dixon that's it. Hire a full-time O-line coach

2nd: There are more options when running the ball than to go straight up the middle. Use them!

3rd: If you're gonna use Bennett, use him in the slot & make a LB cover him.

4th: Pep's usually gettin sacked from the left side of the line. Try having him roll right for a change. He's got legs let him use them. That's what makes him dangerous.

5th: Throw away most of the plays designed around when Moss was here. Adapt the passing game around the receivers we have now & their strengths.

6th: Establish a consistent shorter passing game until the line & the run proves we can have a long ball game.

7th: Get C-Pep talking with Brad like he used to do with Frerotte. I have yet to see the two together on the sidelines.

8th: Start getting the players to play with the desire to win. There's a lot of that lacking.

9th: Hire a full-time O-line coach (see 1st above)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    Ok, so, what we need is a new playbook, but not gameplaning? What we need is game planing but not a new playbook? Which is it? Or both? And if they have a new playbook, and gameplan, what good would it do? I have seen them change things up. But likely I am delusional.

Back to the playbook bit. Again, which playbook works without an O-line? On the clarification that they run the same plays, what can you change up, with the present book, that doesn't need an O-line? Is there anything in football that you can do on offense without an O-line?

Instead of getting an OC, or Line coach, should we just have the OC/Linecoach do that? Then throw the playbook out. Would that fix things? I would really, really like to hear a something valid about how any play is going to work, without an O-line. And its funny that the wonderful "New Playbook" idea wasn't defended at all.
    I don't know if you noticed......but uh....the 5 really fat sweaty guys that line up in front of the quarterback on every offensive play are what is known as the ....."o-line"

I see the delusion though, you think the line is to blame for Culpepper playing like crap. I don't. I think it is a combination of things. What exactly are you whining about here? I mean what do you want butterflies and rainbows?

You want an example of a play that may help the situation. Lets pretend for a moment you are right and the offensive line is the blame for all the fumbles, all the sacks, and all the interceptions along with the blank look on our confused quarterbacks face.

Why not move Jimmy K back to FB, because despite what you claim he is a TE now. Move him back into the FB position. Rotate Mo Williams and Memo at HB. Use the FB as a max pass protector, if the line is holding or if the defense brings the heat Jim can roll out for the quick pass. Or he can take the fake and sneak through the middle like the Vikings used to do when he was at FB for the check down.

When I say changing that's what I am talking about. I have no clue what everyone else is talking about and again one of the best quotes of all time applies "Insane is doing the SAME thing OVER and OVER and expecting different results." -Einstien.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234