Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Big C is offline Coordinator

What will be your strategy coming out of the bye?

Firing Tice and Ted is NOT an option because that will only take the season to even worse lows, so lets not discuss that in this thread :grin:.

From what little I know about football, I think:

1. Get the ball in Moore's hands as much as we can. Almost like Westbrook and Tomlinson. Through runs, or dump passes, it doesn't matter. Whenever he got the ball yesterday he moved the chains. This might take some pressure off Dante.

2. Culpepper looks best when he tucks the ball and runs when nothing is open. This was what he did in the our TD drive yesterday and against the Saints. The running he does can change the defensive strategy and open up things (just like Vick does). It also, VISIBLY builds his confidence.

3. We have to get the ball out of Culpepper's hands soon. The quick 3 step drop stuff I think. This means having WRs run short routes - west coast offense like. Our biggest weakness is the o-line, but they CAN keep people away from Dante for a few seconds even in all out blitz situation (we saw that against the Falcons).

4. Keep running Williamson on crossing routes. He has the speed to get separation from who ever is covering him. Throwing deep to him is NOT our ONLY option.

5. Stop trying to out-think ourselves on offense (this more for the coaching staff I think). We had something that was working against the saints that we seemed to change yesterday until the 4th quarter. I felt like we kind of went with a mentality of keeping Dante in the pocket at all times and waiting for Recievers to get open, rather than Dante taking what the defense gave.

6. On defense, I think we just put the Falcons game behind us and play like we have done so far. We have a defense that can shut down the passing game (except against the Bengals!) and that is what we did against the Falcons. Our run defense is pretty decent. Compairing the Falcons running game to any other teams running game is comparing apples to oranges. I don't see any other such single-dimensioned team in the league, so our defense should hold up. I'm not taking anything away from the Falcons though, kudos to them for finding an identity and sticking to it.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re: What will be your strategy coming out of the bye?

WIN! As in..............everyone all together now. :lol:

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

BLITZ, BLITZ AND THAN BLITZ SOME MORE.

LOOK AT THE FIRST HALF OF THE SAINT GAME. BLITZING WORKS AND WE SUPPOSEDLY HAVE TWO BAD AZZ CORNERS. YOU CAN'T JUST SIT BACK AND LET THE OPPOSING QB PICK YOU APART. ALL THE BEST DEFENSES IN THE NFL BLITZ LIKE THERE IS NO TOMMOROW. I SAY JUST BLITZ BABY.

Del Rio Guest

I would move Moe and Jimmy back to Max protect for Culpepper and try to buff up that protection.

Play some good defense. I don't think blitzing is a good idea all the time, I would just like to see less cushion and more aggressive play calling, more men in the box.

Better LB play.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i like the extra protection. all he needs is a little more time back there so the wr can get open. going deep a bit more would be nice. i think what we nede to do is have our pass set up our run because the run isnt setting up anything other than wasting time.
    We're bringing purple back.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Big C" wrote:
    Firing Tice and Ted is NOT an option because that will only take the season to even worse lows, so lets not discuss that in this thread :grin:.

From what little I know about football, I think:

1. Get the ball in Moore's hands as much as we can. Almost like Westbrook and Tomlinson. Through runs, or dump passes, it doesn't matter. Whenever he got the ball yesterday he moved the chains. This might take some pressure off Dante.

2. Culpepper looks best when he tucks the ball and runs when nothing is open. This was what he did in the our TD drive yesterday and against the Saints. The running he does can change the defensive strategy and open up things (just like Vick does). It also, VISIBLY builds his confidence.

3. We have to get the ball out of Culpepper's hands soon. The quick 3 step drop stuff I think. This means having WRs run short routes - west coast offense like. Our biggest weakness is the o-line, but they CAN keep people away from Dante for a few seconds even in all out blitz situation (we saw that against the Falcons).

4. Keep running Williamson on crossing routes. He has the speed to get separation from who ever is covering him. Throwing deep to him is NOT our ONLY option.

5. Stop trying to out-think ourselves on offense (this more for the coaching staff I think). We had something that was working against the saints that we seemed to change yesterday until the 4th quarter. I felt like we kind of went with a mentality of keeping Dante in the pocket at all times and waiting for Recievers to get open, rather than Dante taking what the defense gave.

6. On defense, I think we just put the Falcons game behind us and play like we have done so far. We have a defense that can shut down the passing game (except against the Bengals!) and that is what we did against the Falcons. Our run defense is pretty decent. Compairing the Falcons running game to any other teams running game is comparing apples to oranges. I don't see any other such single-dimensioned team in the league, so our defense should hold up. I'm not taking anything away from the Falcons though, kudos to them for finding an identity and sticking to it.
    1. Moore was the one thing that seemed to work yesterday on offense. He can break tackles at the line, and get positive yardage in almost any situation. We need more of that to take pressure off Daunte and the offensive line.

2. We need something to build Daunte's confidence. Last year when the protection broke down, Daunte seemed to want to take it to the defenders, and prove to them that they couldn't take him down. This year, he looks defeated if he has to take a step out of the pocket.

3. I think the coaches are still trying to prove that we can run the same offense without Linehan and without Moss. It doesn't look like they understand that you could have Moss, Carter, and Rice all at their prime, and it won't matter if the o-line can't protect the QB. There were plays yesterday when we went 3-wide, and they all ran 10-15 yard routes. By the time the receivers were ready to make their move, Culpepper was down. They need someone to run the short routes in the middle of the field beside the tight ends. I like Kleinsasser and Wiggins, but most of the time they're just a safety valve. They don't have the speed to make a big play out of a crossing route. We need to involve the wide receivers in the short passing game.

4. I think I just agreed with this in my last comment. Looks like another case of premature e-postulation. I'm gonna have to take care of that.

I don't have much to add on 5 and 6. Overall, I think the bye week strategy will have to be on fixing our mistakes in practice, and creating a short term memory loss in our players on game day. If we have to put that little blue fish from Finding Nemo on the sides of the helmets, do it, but the players have to learn how to not dwell on their mistakes.

Del Rio Guest

Josdin on your #3

I was thinking when Tice said he is running the same offense that has been ran since 1992 that the reason was he is not smart enough to design, teach, and impliment a new scheme.

I get the impression he just took over someone elses hard work and has just tried to maintain it all these years. :grin:

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

My strategy after the bye is to buy some really big ribeye's, marinade them over night, and have one hecka time BBQing and watching us play some ball in Chicago. I love being able to pause T.V,. and go turn my steaks over.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

5 THINGS THE VIKINGS SHOULD DO:

1. Pass 1st - Get out to a fast start, get Daunte into a rhythm, get on the board right away.

2. Pass to set up the run- Its no secret that our offense's strong point is passing the ball. Pass it to set up the running game, our offense is too predictable right now!

3. Switch up the playbook- Run some play actions, run some draws using the dropback, use a flea-flicker, use anything creative or cleaver to outsmart the opponent and their defense....I will reiterate, the offense is WAY too predictable right now!

4. Get the players crunk- Yes, I said it...get em' crunked up....AKA get the players hyped, get em' excited, get em' to the level of intensity that all the teams that beat us have been playing with...especially on defense! We should be flying around the ball, making plays...chest bumpin' in celebration, overpowering teams with our emotion...just not happening right now...the Vikings are a bunch of stonefaced losers....

5. Give our defense a break - In other words, keep em' off the field and keep the offense rollin along....get yer roll on Peppy!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Stradegies: hahahaha... that would mean we have a real coaching staff.

1. get healthy.
    2. defense plays more aggressive.
    3. Memo takes a blocking class.
    4. use 2-RB sets and confuse defenses with 2 receiver backs.
    5. let Culp run.
    6. run 10 yard routes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast