Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What Will the Vikings’ Offense Look Like Under Bil

There will be some language that our guys will recognize right off the bat because it will have some West Coast roots, and it will have some formations and protections that are more along the Pittsburgh Steelers offense, which we ran down here in Atlanta with coach Mularkey.”
    Mike Mularkey brings a smashmouth style to Atlanta and, not surprisingly, favors a power-running attack. But he also is a creative playcaller who is drawn to multi-dimensional players. Mularkey always has been good for a few gadget plays, and he constantly is moving his personnel to keep defenses off balance. Expect a lot of two-back and two-tight end power sets designed to help the run game and to set up a vertical, play-action passing game.
    A tweet from NFL expert Greg Cosell encourages me that Musgrave will indeed attempt to be more creative in using Peterson. “MINN offense will look like ATL off w/diverse run game out of 2 TE base sets,” Cosell declared. The key word there being “diverse.”
    The vertical passing game could be the big issue. That depends on pass protection – and I don’t need to remind you what a sticking point that aspect of the game was for the Vikings in 2010. It also requires a downfield receiving threat, which the Vikings might have in Sidney Rice, depending on the CBA and Rice’s own health.
    In summary: Right now, the Vikings seem to have most of the skill position players necessary to make a go of it with this offense. The line is where things get iffy. Oh, and the quarterback.
    What Will the Vikings’ Offense Look Like Under Bill Musgrove?

The most unsettling thing in all of this is this one.....

Let’s also not overlook the importance of playcalling itself. The knock on Childress was always that, though he could design a scheme with the best of them, he was terrible at actually running it during the game. And guess what the knock was on Musgrave when he was offensive coordinator for a short time in Carolina? Bingo: his playcalling.
    I'm starting to like Leslie more and more, however, he sure isn't gonna fix that issue if it comes up.

Musgrove, is the only "Offensive Guru" on the staff now. He' has failed everyplace he's been, minus the "Atlanta" thing and we know that he wasn't calling the plays as the QB coach there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: What Will the Vikings’ Offense Look Like Under Bil

Well there is the line of
    It’s been a long time since Musgrave’s two short stints as an OC, first in Carolina, then in Jacksonville, so maybe he’s learned a few things.
    of course that may not happen but for the moment we're going to have to give Musgrave the benefit of the doubt. I do believe that if its clear that things aren't working then Frazier won't hold onto him longer than he has to. It's easier to can the OC when you're not the one making the calls - previously the HC was never going to fire himself :laugh:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

issue I have is:

There will be some language that our guys will recognize right off the bat because it will have some West Coast roots,
    That means absolutely nothing. Every scheme out there has some West Coast roots, and has SOME language that our guys would recognize.

The rest of that article is just analysis, not quotes really. In the end, it doesn't tell us anything we don't know, just someone's interpretation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096856
    issue I have is:

There will be some language that our guys will recognize right off the bat because it will have some West Coast roots,
    That means absolutely nothing. Every scheme out there has some West Coast roots, and has SOME language that our guys would recognize.

The rest of that article is just analysis, not quotes really. In the end, it doesn't tell us anything we don't know, just someone's interpretation of it.
    Why or why would it mean abosolutely nothing my friend?

By the way, if you listen to J. Gruden talk about his and his brother J Grudens scheme, the verbiage is quite different and alot more complex than say a Andy Reid or Mike Holmgren scheme.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the J. Grudens has indepth knowledge into what both of those cats use for verbiage.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096858
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096856
    issue I have is:

Why or why would it mean abosolutely nothing my friend?

By the way, if you listen to J. Gruden talk about his and his brother J Grudens scheme, the verbiage is quite different and alot more complex than say a Andy Reid or Mike Holmgren scheme.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the J. Grudens has indepth knowledge into what both of those cats use for verbiage.
    I'm willing to bet Grudens scheme has some of the same terminology. What is some? Is it five terms? Is it half? Nothing quantitative was said, just "Some of it is similar"

translation: "Some of it will be a little bit like what was done before"

This tells you nothing, is it mostly the same? Is it completely different except for a couple words?

This means nothing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't it have been easier to post this as "The official Bill Musgrave Dink and Dunk Childress inspired offense"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096874
    Wouldn't it have been easier to post this as "The official Bill Musgrave Dink and Dunk Childress inspired offense"?
    Nah, should be poosted in the

"We, along with everyone else don't know a thing about what to expect next year, but people keep writing articles about nothing, so we keep debating nothing"

thread.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096875
    Nah, should be poosted in the

"We, along with everyone else don't know a thing about what to expect next year, but people keep writing articles about nothing, so we keep debating nothing"

thread.
    Is there an "Official" thread for that? Because I would hate to post it in the wrong place so a mod has to move it into an "official, disjointed, all-encompassing" thread so we make sure we have 2 week old threads on the first page.

.....snicker......

Relax my friend. The deep stuff will come, but it will take a bit of time (5-6 weeks) for everyone to get used to each other.

I fully expect it to look alot like what the Pats did when they got rid of PatsRandy and exactly like what the Vikes did the next game after PatsRandy left when the Noodle set a personel passing record for a game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097211
    .....snicker......

Relax my friend. The deep stuff will come, but it will take a bit of time (5-6 weeks) for everyone to get used to each other.

I fully expect it to look alot like what the Pats did when they got rid of PatsRandy and exactly like what the Vikes did the next game after PatsRandy left when the Noodle set a personel passing record for a game.
    you expect us to put up 450 yard games?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast