Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: What Went Right? What Went Wrong: Skins Game.

"oakmage" wrote:
    Things that went right
    • Sticking to the running game and getting those yards late in the game.
    • Converting the third down into first downs.
    • Quarterback play
    • Defense stop in the red zone only giving up one TD.
    • Tackling and not letting the Redskins to get a lot of yards after they caught the ball

Things that went wrong
    • Linebacker play (Middle backer)
    I did not hear Harris name called that much
    • Too many dropped passed
    • Too many penalties
    Ok, I know this isn't the place for it but, are you joking? The linebackers kept Cooley and alot of passes in the flats and in the middle of the field in check. Napo was orchestrating everyone, the D only gave up 266 total yards, that's great for a D that used to give up nearly 400 a game.

Right:
    *The commitment to the run.
    *Darren Sharper can also lay the lumber.
    *Ray Edwards key tip, that pass to Betts could have cost us.
    *Redzone D.
    *The win.

Wrong:
    *Special Teams.
    *No sacks, we got pressure but nobody really got to Brunell. If we expect to be really good, the D-line has got to live up to the hype and get atleast 1 sack, even though it was a veteran group of linemen, but that isn't an excuse.
    *Troy dropping what could have key plays and possible two scoring drives.
    * Very very dumb penalties, the roughing the passer against James set it off, that was the dumb play of the day.
    * Greg Blue, Sorry but the kid is very suspect and I know he's only a rookie, sure he can hit and all, but those 2 balls to Moss could have killed us, Sharper couldn't help him out on the play of the last drive for the Skins'. I'll be glad when Smith is back, I personally would have rather seen Will Hunter in there.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

The thing that stood out for me, as has been mentioned here numerous times already, were the penalties. They killed us at times. Special teams weren't great, but fortunately neither was Washington's. That "amazing" punt return by Randel El only went for 14 yards. Notice Heath Farwell got the tackle on that play too?

But what went right basically comes down to 2 words: Brad Johnson. I have to be honest, I was VERY impressed by what I saw with him, especially on 3rd down. While the running game didn't do what I wanted it to, and I don't subscribe to this theory that it's all about quantity and not quality of the running plays, they hung in there with it and it did what we wanted: it set up the pass.

Oh, and I hate Joe Theismann. In the span of 2 minutes he chastised Troy Williamson for missing catches (which is fine), but then almost immediately praises Troy as a great wide receiver who will blow up in the NFL. So many times did Theismann flip-flop on his judgement of players it made me apoplectic. Thank God network tv over here had our guys ripping on him and Kornheiser.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

What went right: Ball control: Brad managed the ball smartly, taking only what was given to him with no unnecessary risks, sans the pass in the endzone into triple coverage & threw the ball away when it was deemed necessarry. We kept moving the chains, especially on the 3rd & longs with all the 3rd down conversions. They never abandoned the run, despite the little or no gainers.

What went wrong: The defense was still giving up to many plays on the short passes & seemed to far off the ball on a few of the longer ones. They did step up & get the job done in/near the Redzone, but they need to play at that level no matter where the offense is on the field.

Unexpected: The amount of penetration the Redskins were getting on the left side of the line.

Unexpected noteable: No video of Cajun in the stands hitting on the women.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Lots of things I could talk about. If I had to narrow it down to two things I would say this.

Right: FRED SMOOT made two solid tackles. Good form, great body position and follow through. Nice to watch. Way to go Smoot.

Wrong: The defensive end play in this game was pretty bad. You have a roughing the passer on James which was blantant and irresponsible, then you have both Udeze and James getting sucked inside and past their 3-4 yard depth containment. The defensive ends need to play better.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Right....

Our team looked fresh and energetic, and played like they where loving the game in the 4th quarter.....

Wrong,

Way to many penalties

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Right

Let me start on the offensive side of the ball. I really liked to see Brad Johnson in there. He gets rid of the ball quickly, and still plays very calmly like you would expect from a veteran. I think he where did a good job as a leader on the field in a hostile FedEx Field.

I liked to see Chester Taylor getting so many touches, and doing a good job of braking some nice long ones now and again. I also think much credit of that must be given to Tony Richardson along with the offensive line. He seems to have been forgotten by many of you, but he did make some key blocks in there. Also the offensive line made the holes in the running game, unlike in the preseaon. Both between McKinnie and Hutch, and on the edge of the Right side, they made really good plays.

On the defense the best impressions came from the DBs who played a good game. Sharper made the key tackle on Moss, and our starting CBs - Winfield and Smoot - combined for 13 tackles.

The pass protection was also good, giving up only 1 sack. This was helped by Johnson getting rid of the ball fast.

Wrong

As many of you noticed T-Will droped a few passes. It wasn't pretty, but I will not come down on him too hard, as he also made some good catches.

In the running game they did make som good runs - as mentioned above - but I would like to see the average gain go up a bit in the games to come. Chester Taylor had an avg. of only 2.84

On defense I would like to see more of the pass rush that were shown in preseason. That was totally absent in yesterdays game.

Also I would like to see them create some turnovers. But if they keep on playing with the poise they've got now, they will come.

I don't even want to talk about the missed PAT. That is not going to happen again. Period.

Summary

It was the first game.
    We got a W
    It weren't a beauty, but there is potential in this team.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

At first glance I thought the pressure on Brunell was absent as well. After second look the pressure was there, he just threw the ball away before it got ugly.

He played it smart much like Brad does. If I was a Skins fan I would feel good about that.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

IMO.....

They showed committment to the game. All 60 minutes worth.
    BJ is solid. Unshakable. Determined. His attitude is right where it should be in leading this team.
    Persistance in the running game. I have faith.

Silly penalties.
    Dropped passes.
    A brief lapse in determination by the defense.

Does anyone else wonder what the refs talk about during half time?

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    At first glance I thought the pressure on Brunell was absent as well. After second look the pressure was there, he just threw the ball away before it got ugly.

He played it smart much like Brad does. If I was a Skins fan I would feel good about that.
    Maybe they did. I haven't seen any highlights or anything. But my assesment of the game was, that our DEs never really beat their tackles like they walked over people in the preseason.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

One thing I want to elaborate on is the methodical way BJ runs the offense.
    In the 4th quarter we got the ball in a tie game with over 8 minutes left.
    He mthodically drove the team down the field and we scored a FG with 1 minute left and Wash out of TOs.
    The offense definately did it's job.
    Overlooked big plays by Travis Taylor and Billy McMullen.
    Key 3rd down receptions for the first.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast