Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What Went Right? What Went Wrong: Skins Game.

What went right:

Coaching! When the game started out it looked like the Vikings of old- a high powered, pass oriented offense, that is extremely undisciplined and strays away from the run every time it is unsuccessful. The defense was porous and tomlin was getting outcoached on D.

The second half rolled around and my oh my what an adjustment. The Offense was rolling on all cylinders, including the running game, and the defense wasn't allowing anything past them. Clearly Childress and co. went in to the locker room and got that team fired up. Childress sounds like a guy that wants to win, that wants the big one.

Also didn't take any crap from Dwight Smith and made a HUGE move by benching our S in place of a rookie based on his morals. The guy is strong in what he believes and seems to coach with a conviction. Believe it boys. I think we have ourselves a true, brass balled head coach in Minneapolis.

Biggest surprise:

The play of Ray Edwards. I know that I for one was trashing the selection of yet another defensive end come draft day. Looks like Childress actually did his homework on this one. For the plays that he was in on, he was rushing the passer well. Not to mention he made the game saving play by batting down the ball at the line of scrimmage. Great game Ray and keep it up next week.

Biggest dissapointment:

I don't think you can single out a certain play as dissapointing so I'll say that the overall play of Troy tonight was somewhat dissapointing. He looked to have a career day at the beginning of the game but three dropped balls is unacceptable. It is true that it was the opening game on MNF and the guy was probably nervous so I wont rag on him too much. He still had an overall good game with a crucial catch.

Extra notes-

I was very impressed by the play of our linebackers. They look to be the unsung heroes on this defense. No one really talked about their play but I think the cover 2 is working out well for the three of them.

The redskins did not seem like the redskins of the past year tonight. Whether it was the portis injury or not, they did not have a great game on either side of the ball.

Overall it was a great game guys. can't wait to head to Minneapolis next week and watch my vikes hand a woopin to the Panthers.

SKOL!

we didn't panick , how many times has the running game vanished in the second half after a horid fist half. well tonights running stats were nothing to write ppo about , but they acomplished much. how many times did brad go play action ? and to couple with the running game were the shots down field. the 5 or 6 deep shots and the consistant running game open up the middle of the field , making third and long not impossible.

how bout the turn over ratio? sure we didn't take any away , but we didn't shoot our selves in the foot , short fields will kill your defense. i mean how good do you expect your defense to do dealing with 5 turn overs .

3 points in the second half , for a total of 16 surrendered. the defence was money. not impressed with the pressure , but holding the skins to field goals in side the 10 yard line is really deflating to to an offense.

areas of concern would be the kick off coverage. the kick off return team was great , but the coverage was just about as good as washingtons. starting field position for the redskins seemed to be around the forty to offten.

kluwe as the holder is down right scary.
    i think a qb has to be the holder. not only is his botched hold nothing to smile about, but using a qb opens up your options for the trick play . i would rather a second
    string (jackson
    ;D), or third string qb run a trick play then kluwe.

play of the game : SHARPER laying some wood down on moss to force the imcomplete pass. this dropped touch down pass keeps the skins outta the end zone , forcing a field goal.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

We were able to move the ball because we did not go into panic/passing mode.
    Brad is not the guy who is going to pass us to a win and he did a great job of converting on 3rd downs.
    We do not need a big play QB,
    We need and have a QB that is not going to make mistakes, have a good 3rd down %, and just manage a solid game.

I give the defense a plus for holding the Skins back on 3rd down, that is huge.
    If you can get those guys off the field ASAP, its all the better down the stretch for the defense.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

What went right: The Vikes won! SKOL!

What went wrong: Umm, we won.
    Whats wrong with a victory?
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    We were able to move the ball because we did not go into panic/passing mode.
    Brad is not the guy who is going to pass us to a win and he did a great job of converting on 3rd downs.
    We do not need a big play QB,
    We need and have a QB that is not going to make mistakes, have a good 3rd down %, and just manage a solid game.

I give the defense a plus for holding the Skins back on 3rd down, that is huge.
    If you can get those guys off the field ASAP, its all the better down the stretch for the defense.
    3rd-down conversion rates are the stat of the game.

And they did take some shots down the field - Williamson *should* have scored on one of them.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"Webby" wrote:
    Here it is, your chance for analyzing the game.

Give me one thing that went right, one unexpected situation, and give me one of what went wrong.
    First what went wrong: to many stupid penalties

Right the Vikings wanted to WIN even on the muffed hold the little man gave an honest
    effort to cross the goal line. 22 Men had a desire to win and guess what? Their dream and
    mine to start 1-0 came true!

Washington, you like apples? How bout them apples!!!
    ;D
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I kind of already did in another thread, but I wanted to add that our D kept the Redskin's potent offense to 266 total yards and 170 of those yards came in the 1st half.

I don't think I can remember when the last time we kept a good offense to that low of a yardage total.

But no sacks and no INT's which needs to be a big part of our game and to create frenzy and mayhem we need to make QB's panic and we didn't do that with Brunell.

I have tried to post this 3 times and the site keeps kicking me off.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Webby" wrote:

Give me one thing that went right, one unexpected situation, and give me one of what went wrong.
    Recommendations?

Might be something in it for someone with the best analysis!!
    The short version starts with a preamble and ends with a conclusion.

I have been a Vikings fan since day one.As a Vikings fan I am sick and tired of being just good enough to be almost good.To hell with potential.Give me a win.

The running game is a matter of attempts not a matter of yards.We have apretty good offense without a lot of running yards. It's theWest Coast Offense and it's working.
    Brad Johnson is great and Chester Taylor is at his best when he catches short passes out in space.
    The pass protection was real good.
    The biggest positve for me came off a negative,and that was coaching adjustments by the defense.
    The Tampa 2 depends on the ends to put pressure on the the quarterback.That was exploited in the first half by Washington with good offensive game planning.
    They went outside with runs or short passes and double or triple teamed the ends ,sealing of the linebacker and running the backers off the other direction with their receivers.They did it over and over again.If something works you continue to do it until they adjust and stop you.
    As an example;Washington was down on about the 5 yard line and intended to run a quick sweep left.Brunell was hit by one of our interior linemen, the pitch was missed and the ball ended up on the ground. The ball was recovered by The foreskins.But what I saw was James triple teamed and nobody else outside of him.If the pitch had been completed it would have been an easy touchdown for them.
    After half time I never saw them have much success going outside again.
    That ability to adjust is something I didn't see under Tice or Green.
    I'm a big believer in coaching as adifference maker.This is the most positive thing so far.

Execution positives include Sharpers 4 point saving hit in the end zone. McMullen's 3rd down conversion catch.Chester Taylor's run up the middle for a touchdown on the original drive behind Hutches block on the linebacker on third down.The defense getting three and out at the start of the second half then Marcus Robinson catching a TD pass to regain the momentum.

There are a lot of negatives as expected.Not much pass rush or pressure.Defensive line was out physicalled for the most part.Middle linebacker play was suspect.Dropped passes.
    Running plays to slow to develop.
    Coaching negatives,No misdirection plays,Why try to kick a 54 yard field goal with a guy who can't get a kickoff past the 10.

Conclusion : the game should have been a bit more one sided if Williamson could have caught the ball and Brad could have got the ball to Robinson or Taylor or who ever he underthrew.

But one thing for sure.

We weren't ALMOST good enough tonight.

And we are only going to get better.

SKOL VIKINGS!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Webby" wrote:
    Recommendations?

Might be something in it for someone with the best analysis!!
    Right: Coaching was awesome. The penalties stunk, but it was incredibly nice to see us run the ball right at the Redskins in the 4th quarter. I was also glad that Childress didn't shy away from running it even though we weren't running the ball that well in the first 3 quarters. The play calling was great and we actually looked like a real football team. The D did their job and the offense did theirs. It was awesome to watch. I'm INCREDIBLY excited about this team.

Wrong: Like I said, the penalties were a bummer.

Unexpected Situation: I didn't expect a hit like the one that separated Moss from the ball to come from Sharper. WOW! That was a big hit.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

One thing, huh?
    Tough there...

RIGHT:
    Brad Johnson.
    The guy played smart throughout the entire game.
    While his timing needs to improve on the deep routes (Almost cost us 2 picks), he was poised in the pocket, and smart with the ball, throwing it away versus forcing it or taking a sack.
    And talk about clutch passing, he was great on 3rd down!!

SUPRISE:
    Benching Smith.
    Childress took a gamble by benching him, and we payed for it a few times.
    The reason it was a suprise was that every coach SAYS they'll do it, but Childress walked the walk.
    Big thumbs up to Brad for sticking by his guns.

WRONG:
    Penalties...stupid ones.
    It almost seemed like we were trying to beat ourselves early on.
    James knocking Brunell to the ground at the 21, Johnson's Unsportsmanlike at the 10, these are NOT the places to take stupid penalties.
    Those two alone helped Washington put 10 points on the board.

HONORABLE MENTION:

RIGHTS II:
    I thought the pass protection was great.
    I thought the Defense looked much improved - we bent a few times, but we held them to 3 fieldgoals in the Red Zone.
    No turn overs!!!!

SUPRISE II:
    Sharper's hit on Moss in the End Zone - that was a HUGE suprise as well as a game saver.

WRONGS II:
    The running game - a 2.8 ypc put us in a few tight spots.
    Chester had a couple of decent runs, but the longest was only for 10 yds.
    He HAS to be more productive.
    And Troy Williamson's hands.
    1 of those drops I could live with...the other two he needs to catch.

Caine

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast