Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NaryBim is offline Training Camp

Re: What Went Right? What Went Wrong: Skins Game.

Wrong: Kluwe botching the PAT.

Right: He only did it once.
    "When you have fear, bad things happen."
    C. Fason

oakmage is offline Starter

Things that went right
    • Sticking to the running game and getting those yards late in the game.
    • Converting the third down into first downs.
    • Quarterback play
    • Defense stop in the red zone only giving up one TD.
    • Tackling and not letting the Redskins to get a lot of yards after they caught the ball

Things that went wrong
    • Linebacker play (Middle backer)
    I did not hear Harris name called that much
    • Too many dropped passed
    • Too many penalties

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

Right:
    - Hard running game that kept the team multi dimentional even though production was not much till 3rd quater. (CT ended with 88 yards. Not bad at all)
    - Trying to stretch the field with sudden verticals to Troy even though he dropped a few. That made our game a bit unpredictable
    - Converting 3rd downs. The Offense was calm and the routes were crisp for the first game. Another pointer that the guys are sold into the system
    - Play calling and time management was good (except the missed field goal. Would have gone for a punt instead but the coach knows better
    - McMullen's catch for the first down was pretty big
    - Deactivating Dwight Smith. BIG risk but definitely a BIG message to the rest of the team.
    - Brad J. management of the game. Was very calm and reasuured all fans that he is the man for the job
    - Steve Hutch and McKinnie jellingt. Even though they are not where they want to be, they showed signs of being the O line we want them to be.
    - Having the thought that OUR D can stop a team from getting a TD. The D played well in the Red Zone. Thats something we are not used to with the Vikes for the past few years

Wrong
    - Troy Williamsons dropped balls. I would add that Brad used Troy too much. That was a concern to me as we had other options at Wide Receivers
    - Offensive line degerates too fast before CT makes therun. Maybe I dont know a lot about Football but it seems like the dont hold on the hole long enough
    - Penalties (enough said)
    - Defending vertical balls. We got beat a few times with deep balls. I dunno if its cos the Redskins are just that good or we didnt defend them very well
    - We gave up some huge hardage at punt return. I dunno if its cos its Randel El but it worries me.

Over all a good WIN. This was a very good one for it builds confidence and establishes that WE are up to something. Today the WIN is more than the 'problems' that need to be addressed. Now back to the drawing board

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

what went right, Brad Johnson making smart decisions with his passes.

unexpected situation, longwell trying a 57yarder. i didnt think longwell is known for long FGs at least not to my knowledge anyways.

what went wrong, uuhm, did you see the xp? eventhough kluwe came about 2 yards short of a 2pt conversion. wiliamson forgot how to catch a ball and maybe learned he cant catch a ball with his facemask (i know he lost his footing)

extra analysis

rushing to the left still a little low, 2.8 average, though taylor looked solid and strong, i believe the redskins Defense played the run tough, but the vikings got the better of them later in the 4th quarter when it mattered most

williamson was a disapointment, two perfectly thrown passes through his arms (not even his hands) and another he tried to catch with his facemask (yeah i know he slipped, still), he made up for it at the end though and got another 15 yards for suffering through a facemask, but it better not become a custom to let balls fly through his arms like that, much like some eagles WR we remember. williamson could be used on more slant plays like moss was being used, to help him learn how to catch in game situations. dropping big yardage plays like that just hurst, cause they dont come along very often anymore.

What's the difference between when I watch LT split the guard tackle for ten yards, and I don't see CT get three?
    Is it the quality of the RB, OL, or some intangible?

Late fourth quarter, CT was able to get some yards.
    We need the earlier.
    Am I too harsh?

Positives---WIN, WIN, WIN--confidence builder!
    Quality QB, Quality decisions
    Glimpses of what TW can be, and will be!
    DEFENSE-nuf said.

Negs--dropped passes.
    Minimal holes for CT.
    PENALTIES--but not late in the game when it would have really screwed the pooch!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

What went right:
    - Pressure. The front four had Brunell uncomfortable in the pocket, especially in the 2nd half.
    - The O-line, kind of... Some nice holes, specificly on the left. (Surprise, surprise...) Brad stayed on his feet. They need a little more time to gel.
    - Stretching the field. If T-Will hadn't had a couple drops, I'd have typed, "The deep ball," on this list.
    - 3rd downs. We converted a sh!tload.

What went wrong:
    - Stupid fahking penalties. What the hell, man...?
    - Trying to stop Randle El on punt returns. He's good, but special teams is a question mark.
    - Kluwe holding. That mishanle of the snap is unacceptable.

Unexpected development:
    - The game-long progression of the running game. I love the wood-splitting philosophy of it. You have to smack a few small gashes in to the log before the axe will go all the way through. That's what chester and his blockers did tonight.

I had a great time watching this game. The win against the all-star coaching staff, on the road no less, says a lot about what kind of head coach B.C. is gonna be, IMO.
    -Sno

"pillagenplunderVike" wrote:
    What's the difference between when I watch LT split the guard tackle for ten yards, and I don't see CT get three?
    Is it the quality of the RB, OL, or some intangible?

Late fourth quarter, CT was able to get some yards.
    We need the earlier.
    Am I too harsh?

uhhm, yeah, vikings played washington who has top 10 D and oakland has bottom 10 D

one thing id like to add too is this:
    whens the last time the Vikings Defense allowed only 163 yards passing!?
    im frickin proud of that stat!

Gift is offline Coordinator

Right:
    BJ really looking sharp
    Defense, solid for 4 quarters
    Secondary, looking like a top notch bunch

Wrong:
    Twill dropping 3rd down passes
    Twill still getting playing time after two 3rd down drops
    Twill not getting kicked in the nuts by me after the game>
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

What went right: Sticking with C.Taylor and the run behind Hutch, Birk, and McKinney.. Also, not losing their composure with all the stupid penalties.. They could have easily have turned over and played like crap.. The defense was solidmost of the game against a very good offensive team.. The offense was very good against a very good defense..

What went wrong: To many dumb penalties.. Alot of them were not even penalties.. Erasmus James roughing the passer penalty that kept their drive going when they scored their TD.. Illegal contact by I believe Cedric Griffin when Moss caught that pass on the 6 yd line..

It is a very positive thing when you can go into Fed Ex Field with 92,000 screaming fans on the first Monday Night Football game of the season and get a win.. It shows alot about the Vikings that they stayed in this game, and came out with the win.. They played a team that has an explosive offense, and very good defense, and at their home.. This is a new look Viking team behind Brad Childress..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast