Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

What Type of Stadium Do You Prefer?

"RK" wrote:
    I disagree with your assessment primarily due to the fact that we DO play many out door teams, and it is a stistical fact that turf teams don't do as well outdoors (Outdoor teams seem to have little difficulty adjusting to turf, however).
    WRONG :P
    Let me state again as I did earlier in this thread. There are 6 dome teams in the NFL. Four of them were in the playoffs this year and one more of them, the Saints, almost was in the playoffs. These teams play out doors most of the time on the road and obviously do very well or they wouldn't be in the playoffs. :P As to outdoor teams adjusting well to indoors. Where were you when all the pundits were talking about how bad Favre's record is indoors? However they were wrong this year because he beat us at home indoors on Xmas eve. All this indoors/outdoors stuff is just BS that commentators use to fill up the time between commercials and time outs on the field. They are useless contrived stats that are meaningless. :P You could say based on this year that teams playing indoors have a huge advantage based on how many of them made the playoffs.
    I stepped away from this thread for a few pages, and on page 7, I was almost ready to say, "Let's agree to disagree"...

...then I saw the "WRONG"...

Let me point out the error in YOUR assessment here.

As you state, there are six dome teams. SIX. The other 26 play outside. Wind, snow, sleet, rain, sunshine, whatever...they're in it.

By virtue of the fact that they play in varying conditions, they are better suited to adjust to factors such as those listed above. Dome teams, due to playing in a sterile - weather free - environment for at least 8 games a year, are LESS suited to adjusting to outside factors.

Sure, the commentators may make more of this than is really there, but the fact remains that the more a team is exposed to extreme conditions, the better suited they are to adjusting TO those conditions.

When the Marines are training for an operation in Sweden in the middle of winter, they do not train in the desert. Units training for Iraq duty aren't doing so in antarctica. They train for the environment they plan to operate in, IN the environment they'll operate in.

By the same token, outdoor teams are better able to adjust to adverse weather conditions because they are more familiar with them. Domes, being "Ideal" conditions, aren't as big of an adjustment...if any. They won't have the varying field conditions of the outdoor stadiums.

Therefore, if the Vikings were to build an outdoor stadium versus a dome, they would - by virtue of increased familiarity - become more able to adapt to varying conditions, and a more rounded football team.

Now, all that said, I STILL think we'll never see it. The economic considerations brought up by earlier posters will outweigh any and all perceived playing advantages - real or imagined. Our next stadium will STILL be a dome.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.

And, note to Del Rio: Of course the better prepared team will typically win - barring dumb luck (Like having a hit player squirt the ball 6 yards into your waiting arms in the endzone). However, you cannot truly prepare for something you are not exposed to. Preparing for a blizzard in Philly doesn't happen in a climate controlled dome.

So, NOW we can all agree to disagree. Obviously, you don't agree with me, and I don't aggree with you - but it's all moot. As I said, economics will determine our new stadium...and that means a stinkin' dome.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

Actually your assumption about the sheer number of "BAD WEATHER" games may be a bit over exagerated. And again it comes down to who runs the ball well.

Sure there are a lot of outdoor games, but the climate may not be bad, and in fact in more often then not perfectly sterile and pleasent conditions. Are we worried about that 1 game we play in Lambue? That may or may not be towards the end of the year when the conditions are bad? Or the bears maybe?

I mean the benifits of being indoors are not outweighted by this small insignificant variable.

And again you are absolutely correct we will have to agree to disagree because there is no right answer. You assume that teams that play on grass will have less problems adjusting to turf. Look at the records look at the scores over the last three seasons there is no stat that supports this. In fact there is no stat that supports my opinion that turf teams DO NOT have a problem playing on grass.

The only stats are a wash. A seemingly even amount of success. The enviromental variable plays no advantage in the big picture. You have teams like Dallas that plays indoors dominate teams and win multiple superbowls on grass and turf. And now they have a hard time beating anyone.

I can tell you this and I think anyone who has played can agree to some extent. When you strap that helmet on and you are in battle gear. Play me on lava, play me in sand, grass, or turf it doesn't matter.

Mr. O is offline Starter

I prefer to play on a muddy grass field, in the rain. By the end of the game, everyone on both sides of the ball look like they've just gone through a serious battle.
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Actually your assumption about the sheer number of "BAD WEATHER" games may be a bit over exagerated. And again it comes down to who runs the ball well.

Sure there are a lot of outdoor games, but the climate may not be bad, and in fact in more often then not perfectly sterile and pleasent conditions. Are we worried about that 1 game we play in Lambue? That may or may not be towards the end of the year when the conditions are bad? Or the bears maybe?

I mean the benifits of being indoors are not outweighted by this small insignificant variable.

And again you are absolutely correct we will have to agree to disagree because there is no right answer. You assume that teams that play on grass will have less problems adjusting to turf. Look at the records look at the scores over the last three seasons there is no stat that supports this. In fact there is no stat that supports my opinion that turf teams DO NOT have a problem playing on grass.

The only stats are a wash. A seemingly even amount of success. The enviromental variable plays no advantage in the big picture. You have teams like Dallas that plays indoors dominate teams and win multiple superbowls on grass and turf. And now they have a hard time beating anyone.

I can tell you this and I think anyone who has played can agree to some extent. When you strap that helmet on and you are in battle gear. Play me on lava, play me in sand, grass, or turf it doesn't matter.
    And on that note, we can have a beer...or six...and walk away agreeing to disagree.

Unless RK comes back with another "WRONG :P " and forces me to retort. :lol:

Caine

Del Rio Guest

I'll buy the beer this time. Who's in for a round? Good stuff for everyone of age, and pabst blue ribbon for purplehorn

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm definitely in for a round!! or five

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    "RK" wrote:
    I disagree with your assessment primarily due to the fact that we DO play many out door teams, and it is a stistical fact that turf teams don't do as well outdoors (Outdoor teams seem to have little difficulty adjusting to turf, however).
    WRONG :P
    Let me state again as I did earlier in this thread. There are 6 dome teams in the NFL. Four of them were in the playoffs this year and one more of them, the Saints, almost was in the playoffs. These teams play out doors most of the time on the road and obviously do very well or they wouldn't be in the playoffs. :P As to outdoor teams adjusting well to indoors. Where were you when all the pundits were talking about how bad Favre's record is indoors? However they were wrong this year because he beat us at home indoors on Xmas eve. All this indoors/outdoors stuff is just BS that commentators use to fill up the time between commercials and time outs on the field. They are useless contrived stats that are meaningless. :P You could say based on this year that teams playing indoors have a huge advantage based on how many of them made the playoffs.
    I stepped away from this thread for a few pages, and on page 7, I was almost ready to say, "Let's agree to disagree"...

...then I saw the "WRONG"...

Let me point out the error in YOUR assessment here.

As you state, there are six dome teams. SIX. The other 26 play outside. Wind, snow, sleet, rain, sunshine, whatever...they're in it.

By virtue of the fact that they play in varying conditions, they are better suited to adjust to factors such as those listed above. Dome teams, due to playing in a sterile - weather free - environment for at least 8 games a year, are LESS suited to adjusting to outside factors.

Sure, the commentators may make more of this than is really there, but the fact remains that the more a team is exposed to extreme conditions, the better suited they are to adjusting TO those conditions.

When the Marines are training for an operation in Sweden in the middle of winter, they do not train in the desert. Units training for Iraq duty aren't doing so in antarctica. They train for the environment they plan to operate in, IN the environment they'll operate in.

By the same token, outdoor teams are better able to adjust to adverse weather conditions because they are more familiar with them. Domes, being "Ideal" conditions, aren't as big of an adjustment...if any. They won't have the varying field conditions of the outdoor stadiums.

Therefore, if the Vikings were to build an outdoor stadium versus a dome, they would - by virtue of increased familiarity - become more able to adapt to varying conditions, and a more rounded football team.

Now, all that said, I STILL think we'll never see it. The economic considerations brought up by earlier posters will outweigh any and all perceived playing advantages - real or imagined. Our next stadium will STILL be a dome.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.

And, note to Del Rio: Of course the better prepared team will typically win - barring dumb luck (Like having a hit player squirt the ball 6 yards into your waiting arms in the endzone). However, you cannot truly prepare for something you are not exposed to. Preparing for a blizzard in Philly doesn't happen in a climate controlled dome.

So, NOW we can all agree to disagree. Obviously, you don't agree with me, and I don't aggree with you - but it's all moot. As I said, economics will determine our new stadium...and that means a stinkin' dome.

Caine
    So why not have the retractable roof dome...with a GRASS field...and let the team decide when to open or close the roof...that way if they WANT the advantage of weather conditions, they could just leave the roof open. For all other functions, the roof could be closed and those stadium users would be happy as well. Besides, if we want the field muddy, we can just water it down like the Packers do when they play against us.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I am up for a beer. Maybe we should discuss what the new venue should be named. :lol: I really hate the selling of the field name to some stupid corporation. Like the 49'ers new name.. "Monster Park" :roll:

Personally I think they should name the Viking venue for Bud Grant. :thumbleft:

WWBGD

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If Red is still the owner, he might just buy the naming rights from himself...Billy Joe's Used Auto World of San Antonio Stadium...has a nice ring to it...like the ring in a toilet bowl, maybe!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Mr. O is offline Starter

How about, for a retractable roof ... the SkyDome, oh wait, that's already taken.
    Funny story about the SkyDome, when they were naming it, they had a contest for season tickets to the Blue Jays, whomever's stadium name was chosen would win four season tickets. Well, my dad's name for the dome wasn't chosen, but it should have been .... The ConDome. Reasoning behind it ... "A condom holds a penis, a ConDome holds all the penis heads."
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast