Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    echizen20's Avatar
    echizen20 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    65

    What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    Hello everyone, i've been scouting some of the Steeler Forums around the web to sort of get a better understanding of how the fans feel about their team and how they match up against us.
    Here are a few topics and posts I have found.
    To my surprise I found them rather interesting and informative.

    http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=40110

    TOPIC: The Vikes Have Been VERY Lucky...

    "A missed FG well within the Raven's kickers range and a Hail Mary pass against San Fran.... Congrats on their 6-0 record. Their a good team. But they have BARELY beaten the other good teams that they've played.... If you can say the Ravens and 49ers are good teams.....
    Their luck will run out next week in the Steel City...."

    "You're right, they have gotten lucky in a lot of these games. That said, they're still winning them. We've lost to 2 good teams, when we outplayed them. And with the trouble we've had putting teams away this year, I'm nervous about this game. Hopefully you're right, and their luck does run out."

    "weve barely beaten the shitty teams we've played and we have been worse than unlucky. in addition to our injuries to main defensive cogs, we have played sloppy.
    i dont think the vikings will be hoping for luck to beat the steelers.
    we struggled against the winless titans and 1-5 browns and lions played us much tougher than they should have. beating the 2 win chargers is nothing to write home about.
    barely losing to "juggernauts" such as the bears or bungles is disturbing.
    finally with the vikings we play an opponent who is a sb contender. this will be a good test.
    it may take us being very lucky to win."

    "I don't know why teams we are going to play always are called "lucky" if they have a good year, but when we win the same way, it is considered skill.
    Bears are a good team, and we barely lost to them. Bungles have shown themselves good in the first quarter of the year, but that injury is going to REALLY hurt them.
    Vikings are also a good team. They are going to play against a top run defense that is coming alive, and the pass defense played better today (but that WAS the browns so. . . .) It'll be good. it'll be tough. Its the right test at the right time.... time to see if this year's Steelers is a deep playoff type team!"

    "the Vikings are a very good team. i can't believe some people seem to be taking them so lightly. 6-0 is no fluke, and they are well balanced in every aspect of the game. until we start playing solid in the second half, any team can beat us."
    (reply to above quote)
    "Gotta disagree, buddy. The teams they have played thus far are a combined 11-23. They have only played 3 teams with winning records and one of those is Baltimore at 3-3. Which their kicker choked a FG to win the game yesterday. Another was San Francisco(3-2) where Favre hit a miracle pass to win the game in the back of the end zone when all the guy had to do was push the receiver out of bounds."
    (reply to above quote)
    "that goes both ways.. look who we have played. hardly an impressive group and we lost to both teams who are over .500. we also let every team we played back in the game by the 4th quarter and ended up losing a couple because of it."


    I have made a post on here just yesterday about the key matchups between the Vikings and Steelers and interestingly I found a similar thread on their forums.
    Good reads.

    http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=40161

    TOPIC:
    The Game against the Vikes Will have ultimate match ups


    "All year long I had been looking forward for this game, and even wanting to go to it but tickets prices are ridiculous right now. Anyway back to the subject, I think this game against the Vikings will be one of the defining points of our season. Its not our make or break, but it definitely brings back a slight feel of having an extremely tough opponent like we had all of last season.

    Now Regarding match ups, I think all of the positions will have an amazing challenge against each other and Ill go over some of them.
    Steelers front 7 against the Vikings line and Adrian Peterson- Lets face it, this is going to be one of the defining factors of the game. The Vikings mammoth O-line with McKinnie ,Loadholt, and Hutchinson is going to provide a pure challenge to Harrison and Woodley along with Farrior and Timmons. Harrison is going to get held a lot because a 6'8 monster blocking 6'0 Harrison its gonna give the edge to McKinnie and lets face it, he will hold him and wrap his arm around his neck, so lets get ready for that. Also If Kiesel Hampton and Kirschke cant get a push or maintain their gap control then Farrior and Timmons will suffer and Peterson will be flying all over the field. I say the match up advantage is a push, but the first one to make a mistake will pay dearly.

    Steelers O-line against the Vikes Front 7- This can turn into a nightmare if the Steelers O-line doesnt play well. Their front 7 is a mere Image of our front 7 in certain Terms. When you have Edwards the 2 Williams brothers, Jared Allen as well as Greenway, henderson, and Leber. Thats a stout front 7. Anyway Max Starks will prove his moneys worth against Jared Allen, lets hope he can keep ben upright and I dont see Mendy or Parker having a big day on the ground. Advantage- Vikes, but lets hope the o line plays the best games of their lives.

    Big Ben and Co vs Vikes Secondary- I think this is where we can win our game. As great as the Vikes front 7 can be this is the one part where we can just burn the Vikings and come away with a win. With the way Mason ran on them last game I can see Ward and Holmes doing the exact same and then more. Advantage Steelers.

    Lord Favre against our secondary- Plain and simple, if we can get to Favre and contain Peterson he will self Destruct against us. But if he gets time in the pocket or get some play action passes then were in trouble. Let hope our Secondary can Play 4 quarters of defense, since Favres late game heroics will burn us if the D doesnt step up. I pray that Polamalu does what he did last time against green bay and just give him hell.

    X factors I guess the gamebreakers for The steelers can be Stefan Logan and Mike Wallace. The Vikings sometimes slip up on Special teams and i think well get a TD from that. Regarding the Vikes, Percy Harvin will provide a great test for the ST unit to maintain him from breaking the big one.
    Anyway those are my thoughts and opinions, feel free to comment mine or add your own comments. Im looking forward to this game all the way. Here we got Steelers"

    "More than anything, I'm worried about Jared Allen. The O-Line is playing a lot better than they were last year... but they are still giving up periodic sacks and hits on Ben. Allen is a beast and if he's not contained, this game could turn out like that awful one in Philly last season. If we can hold him off, then I wholeheartedly believe that Ben can beat the secondary. If an overrated QB like Flacco almost can, Ben shouldn't have issues there.
    One thing that I really like is that we DO have homefield advantage, and no team can play better on our turf than the Steelers (and unlike typical homefield advantages, this one is actually a relevant statistic since Heinz Field is so tough to play on)."

    "Wow... the dislike for favre is quite interesting.
    Anyone think the reason Favre hasn't been throwing those late game interceptions, is because this year, he doesn't have to put the team on his back and carry them? He has a front line and a RB that can help him tremendously.
    Favre isn't DA.
    Our secondary is going to be tested all day. Our running D is going to be tested all day.
    In the end the matchup that IMO, is the key, is LeBeau vs.Darrel Bevell. Can Lebeau scheme to counter the running and passing of the Vikings? Can Bevell make the half-time adjustments necessary to win?"



  2. #2
    bbymkr is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    Great post! I think a lot will have to do if Winfield is playing or not. But if he's not ready to play they should rest him. I'd rather they lose in the Steel City then in the Frozen Tundra! ;D Has anyone heard the injury report on Winfield?
    Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
    Skol Vikings, honor your name,
    Go get that first down,
    Then get a touchdown.
    Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em
    Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    Go Vikings, run up the score,
    You'll hear us yell for more. . .
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S
    Skol, Vikings, let's go

  3. #3
    Dekay's Avatar
    Dekay is offline Pro-Bowler Element Quest Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    386

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    Nice post there! And I see you are fairly new poster, keep it coming and welcome to PPO if i havent welcomed you before!

    I see a bit of uptalking the steelers, its totally understandable... they wring the things and matchups to match their side of the story, as we will in our discussion of the matchups. And I can agree on many of them, the lines of both teams will be tested, our secondary is up for a huge test if we cant get to the QB fast enough, or stop him from scramble in the pocket.

    I think this will be a hard match, hardest we have had so far, but I like the matchups so far, the only thing that scares me is our secondary.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    Excellent post.
    Just bumped you up a couple of columns on the ole spread sheet my friend......

    Still haven't done my weekly breakdown but I agree with the Big Ben vs Secondary and Logan on ST's points.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    TrojanVike28 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    196

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    I don't want to lose any game this year, especially this one. Everyone is okay with a loss to Pittsburgh, just as long we beat the Pack? Come on, people. No loss is acceptable. Just because they are the defending champs, doesn't mean we have no shot. I want to win every game we can, and this one will put the Vikings on the map. We still have doubters and we need to shut them up. I freaking hate Pittsburgh, and I hope we crush them. Although, I don't see that happening. I think we can beat them unlike most of you guys. I'm hoping for Winfield to play this game, and that will help our secondary if he plays. He didn't play most of that game against the Ravens, you take away that 4th quarter, our defense plays very well... However, that 4th quarter happened, and we're all worried about our defense? Understandable, we did choke big time. But You can't base our defense off one game. I'm sure Childress and co will address that issue this week in practice. If we don't address that, then go ahead jump on them. I just want people to have some faith in our team. We're 6-0. Let's make it 7-0... Another thing, Steelers aren't that good this year. They have been sloppy, and careless with the ball. Force Big Ben to make bad decisions, and good things will happen. Keep Favre protected, and try to run against their stingy defense, and if we're successful on those factors, WE WIN! I hope for the best, and I hope you guys do too. Pray that Percy and Winfield play... We will need them this one. SKOL!!!!

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    "TrojanVike28" wrote:
    I don't want to lose any game this year, especially this one. Everyone is okay with a loss to Pittsburgh, just as long we beat the Pack? Come on, people. No loss is acceptable. Just because they are the defending champs, doesn't mean we have no shot. I want to win every game we can, and this one will put the Vikings on the map. We still have doubters and we need to shut them up. I freaking hate Pittsburgh, and I hope we crush them. Although, I don't see that happening. I think we can beat them unlike most of you guys. I'm hoping for Winfield to play this game, and that will help our secondary if he plays. He didn't play most of that game against the Ravens, you take away that 4th quarter, our defense plays very well... However, that 4th quarter happened, and we're all worried about our defense? Understandable, we did choke big time. But You can't base our defense off one game. I'm sure Childress and co will address that issue this week in practice. If we don't address that, then go ahead jump on them. I just want people to have some faith in our team. We're 6-0. Let's make it 7-0... Another thing, Steelers aren't that good this year. They have been sloppy, and careless with the ball. Force Big Ben to make bad decisions, and good things will happen. Keep Favre protected, and try to run against their stingy defense, and if we're successful on those factors, WE WIN! I hope for the best, and I hope you guys do too. Pray that Percy and Winfield play... We will need them this one. SKOL!!!!
    Just because we are pointing out weaknesses with our team as they matchup to the next team we are going to play doesn't in anyway equate to a lack of confidence.

    Its called a football discussion.

    Not sure about you, but I come to this site to discuss footbal, not to get Rah rah crap blown up my ass to make me feel good.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "TrojanVike28" wrote:
    I don't want to lose any game this year, especially this one. Everyone is okay with a loss to Pittsburgh, just as long we beat the Pack? Come on, people. No loss is acceptable. Just because they are the defending champs, doesn't mean we have no shot. I want to win every game we can, and this one will put the Vikings on the map. We still have doubters and we need to shut them up. I freaking hate Pittsburgh, and I hope we crush them. Although, I don't see that happening. I think we can beat them unlike most of you guys. I'm hoping for Winfield to play this game, and that will help our secondary if he plays. He didn't play most of that game against the Ravens, you take away that 4th quarter, our defense plays very well... However, that 4th quarter happened, and we're all worried about our defense? Understandable, we did choke big time. But You can't base our defense off one game. I'm sure Childress and co will address that issue this week in practice. If we don't address that, then go ahead jump on them. I just want people to have some faith in our team. We're 6-0. Let's make it 7-0... Another thing, Steelers aren't that good this year. They have been sloppy, and careless with the ball. Force Big Ben to make bad decisions, and good things will happen. Keep Favre protected, and try to run against their stingy defense, and if we're successful on those factors, WE WIN! I hope for the best, and I hope you guys do too. Pray that Percy and Winfield play... We will need them this one. SKOL!!!!
    Just because we are pointing out weaknesses with our team as they matchup to the next team we are going to play doesn't in anyway equate to a lack of confidence.

    Its called a football discussion.

    Not sure about you, but I come to this site to discuss footbal, not to get Rah rah crap blown up my jiggly butt to make me feel good.
    Bring on the rah rah crap.
    At 6-0 we have a LOT of reasons to feel good.
    A lot more reason to feel good than complain.

    As for the Steelers, sounds like their fans are pretty level headed.
    It is going to be a good game, with some great match ups.
    Either team can win this game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "TrojanVike28" wrote:
    I don't want to lose any game this year, especially this one. Everyone is okay with a loss to Pittsburgh, just as long we beat the Pack? Come on, people. No loss is acceptable. Just because they are the defending champs, doesn't mean we have no shot. I want to win every game we can, and this one will put the Vikings on the map. We still have doubters and we need to shut them up. I freaking hate Pittsburgh, and I hope we crush them. Although, I don't see that happening. I think we can beat them unlike most of you guys. I'm hoping for Winfield to play this game, and that will help our secondary if he plays. He didn't play most of that game against the Ravens, you take away that 4th quarter, our defense plays very well... However, that 4th quarter happened, and we're all worried about our defense? Understandable, we did choke big time. But You can't base our defense off one game. I'm sure Childress and co will address that issue this week in practice. If we don't address that, then go ahead jump on them. I just want people to have some faith in our team. We're 6-0. Let's make it 7-0... Another thing, Steelers aren't that good this year. They have been sloppy, and careless with the ball. Force Big Ben to make bad decisions, and good things will happen. Keep Favre protected, and try to run against their stingy defense, and if we're successful on those factors, WE WIN! I hope for the best, and I hope you guys do too. Pray that Percy and Winfield play... We will need them this one. SKOL!!!!
    Just because we are pointing out weaknesses with our team as they matchup to the next team we are going to play doesn't in anyway equate to a lack of confidence.

    Its called a football discussion.

    Not sure about you, but I come to this site to discuss footbal, not to get Rah rah crap blown up my jiggly butt to make me feel good.
    Bring on the rah rah crap.
    At 6-0 we have a LOT of reasons to feel good.
    A lot more reason to feel good than complain.

    As for the Steelers, sounds like their fans are pretty level headed.
    It is going to be a good game, with some great match ups.
    Either team can win this game.
    Not sure how talking football can be construed as complaining........
    When I talk football my friend (good or bad), I always feel good.


    In the end, isn't that what we come here for, to talk football?
    Heck, sometimes I even learn something about the game.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    Personally I want the next two games.
    I have a lot of friends that are Steeler fans and so is my Mother.
    She has been talking shit so I want this game.
    GB is self explanatory.


    I really like the breakdown and I agree with a lot of it.
    These two teams do mirror each other.
    I think the main advantage the Vikings have is Ben should not be able to get away with holding the ball as long as he has against other teams.
    He waits to find an open WR.
    If we can get to Ben, we have a good chance on winning.
    Just make sure they make the tackle because he is good at escaping.

    Our OL needs to really step it up. The Steelers front 7 are very good.
    Favre will have to use his play action and head fakes to throw off Palomalu.

  10. #10
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630

    Re: What Steeler Fans are thinking of the Vikings right now *Long Read

    I'm going to this game, and obviously will be surrounded by black and gold all day. God, I hope we win.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Opener everything a Vikings fan could hope for (long read)
    By purplepat in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
  2. Final days troubled for former Steeler Terry Long
    By ryanmurphy in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
  3. TOO MANY Steeler Fans
    By snowinapril in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:13 AM
  4. Local Columnists Weigh In (Moss, long read)
    By Webby in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 09:48 AM
  5. Local Columnists Weigh In (Pep, long read)
    By Webby in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 10:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •