singersp is offline PPO Newshound

What role for Tony Richardson?

[size=13pt]What Role For T-Rich? [/size]

By Viking Update Staff
    scout.com

Posted Jul 21, 2007

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: What role for Tony Richardson?

If nothing else he adds depth and can step back in if CT or AP get injured.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

TE maybe on some passing downs? idk what else he could be
    ???

Thanks josdin00

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Tony Richardson as a lead blocker is far more valuable on the field than AD/CT is as a decoy. The Eagles ran Buckhalter and Westbrook on the field at the same time because they did not have a great FB like we have in Richardson.

If Childress opts to run AD and CT often instead of keeping our FB on the field, it is another example of his disability to properly assess talented players and put them before his scheme.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    Tony Richardson as a lead blocker is far more valuable on the field than AD/CT is as a decoy. The Eagles ran Buckhalter and Westbrook on the field at the same time because they did not have a great FB like we have in Richardson.

If Childress opts to run AD and CT often instead of keeping our FB on the field, it is another example of his disability to properly assess talented players and put them before his scheme.
    Not picking on you V.
    Just using your post to bring home your point as I have to play the kaka del rio flag again.

Are you telling me that just because we have 2 backs that need to see the field that T-rich is out of a job?
    Have we all lost our mind if we are to subscribe to drivel like this and start chanting the "Loose Childress because of his scheme" chant?

Lets break the position down a bit to see why V is right with respect to the role of the FB in the WCO.

With the thought in the back of our little minds that the Vikes (60% percent of the time) are/will be in thier standard set that comprises a WCO scheme of 1 Center, 2 Gaurds, 2, Tackles, 2 Wr, 1 QB, 1 FB, 1 RB the fullbacks role is huge.

The FB primary role is that of a lead blocker for the back running out of the backfield (which I believe we all agree on is our strength), his secondary role is to pick up blitzing LB'rs/protect the QB in passing situations and thirdly to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Of course we all know that the ideal size for the fullback position should be about six foot one inch and weigh about 245 pounds. Hmmmmmm don't see any RB's on our roster big enough to fill that position.
    In fact T-rich and Nauf are a bit light IMHO with Dugan a bit on the bruiser size for that position.

T-Rich is 6-1, 238 lbs.
    Dugan is 6-4, 258 lbs.
    Naufahu is 6-0, 230 lbs.

AD is 6-2, 218 lbs
    CT is 5-11, 213 lbs
    Pinner is 5-10, 232 lbs
    Memo is 5-11, 209 lbs.

In fact, if we think we will replace T-rich with a RB in our standard set, because of the punishment the FB takes, we will have almost all of our RB dinged by the middle of the year.

For the 40% of plays were we aren't in our standard set we might see a mix of say CT/AD, AD/Memo etc etc at RB?
    But that will be in situations were we catch the D in a standard set playing the run.
    What we do with split backs in that situatiion my friends is were we will see the scheme in place.

Long story short,,,,,,,,,
    Rest assured my friends, T-rich will still be the lead blocker, just like he was last year before he got hurt, no matter which RB is in there. In fact, because of the importance of a bruiser FB in the WCO, I think you will see Dugan spelling T-rich at times because we don't want to wear him down over the season.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I am really excited to see him back uninjured.
    This guy has a great attitude and will be another key to the offensive game.
    He evens the playing field if there is a missed assignment on the line and clears lanes for big gains if everyone does their role.
    Next to Greenway, I am most excited about Richardson's contributions to the team coming out of the gate in ,07.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Prophet" wrote:
    I am really excited to see him back uninjured.
    This guy has a great attitude and will be another key to the offensive game.
    He evens the playing field if there is a missed assignment on the line and clears lanes for big gains if everyone does their role.
    Next to Greenway, I am most excited about Richardson's contributions to the team coming out of the gate in ,07.
    I agree with ya on that...

I wish I had the game tape to go back and see how many missed blocks our OL had last year the T-rich picked up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Tony Richardson will be on the field on 1st and 2nd, and even 3rd and short. His ability to open lanes, pass protect, and catch will keep him on the field. C. Taylor will start the season as our #1 guy, with AP getting more and more reps as the season goes on. Tony makes the WCO go, and like Prophet and Marrdro have stated, " We're all looking forward to a healthy Tony Richardson leading the way down the field". He's gonna crack some heads this year..... Oh Yeah.

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Oh Richardson can out and catch the rock, Lay out the occasional defender. This guy when healthy is a true asset on any team. The vikes were fortunate to have signed this guy.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

All I can remember is TR playing his ass off and having some really fine plays, game in and game out,
    that is before his injury last year.
    I'm really happy we picked him up and he is surely a great asset to our O's backfield...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast