Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    So, I have been thinking. We drafted a CB, DT and WR in the first round last year. We went out and got a DT and CB in Free Agency. What does that say about the guys we drafted last year at CB and DT?
    Nothing at all. You need at least 2 starting caliber DTs and at least 3 starters at CB (and 3 at WR). One guy can only cover so much of the field, leaving the rest wide open. That is why Football is the ultimate team game...you are only as good as your weakest link.

Other than the obvious, QB, I see the 3 main positions of need remaining as CB, LB, and LG...not necessarily in that order, and we do have fall back plans in place in case we miss out with Robinson at CB, who was better outside, Cole flashing potential at MLB, and resigning Charlie.

IF Bridgewater or Bortles is available at 8 I'm pretty sure we'll go QB, and maybe for Manziel too. IF those 3 are gone, moving back a few spots would be great for us to add improved depth to multiple positions. I'd love to see us trade back with NYG or STL at 12 or 13 so they can secure whoever the best remaining OT is. That should put us in position to land one of the top 2 CBs, Gilbert or Dennard, or Mosley at ILB, all top-end pass D upgrades, and, net us an extra 3rd round pick, and quite possibly an extra 5 or 6 on top of that.

I love the Captain addition, but he is best suited for the slot/nickelback position, and with all of the huge WRs in our division (Calvin, Brandon, Alshon, Jordy, etc,) we might need a bit more size to cover those guys outside. On the other hand, our LBs have been terrible in coverage for years, and that is something Mosley is known for.

But LG is very important to both our running and passing games, and Charlie should be moved to backup...and his contract level suggests that is the plan. I think we will spend a pretty early pick on Guard, perhaps even no.8 if Mathews falls that far and nobody wants to trade with us...he has played OG before, and his dad played multiple OL spots too. A bit of a luxury pick? Definitely, but it should set up our OL for long term success and continuity.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    So, I have been thinking. We drafted a CB, DT and WR in the first round last year. We went out and got a DT and CB in Free Agency. What does that say about the guys we drafted last year at CB and DT?

In the mock drafts that I have done, It seems like the couple position that we could get a top of the draft starter in the 8th spot would be OLB (Mack & possibly Barr),CB (Dennard or Gilbert), DT (Donald), WR (Watkins sometimes drops), and an OT (seems to be 3 good ones). A person could trade back a few and get a really good S or trade back to late first and get a G. Both trades back would require a second round compensation and possibly another late round compensation pick. The QB is really a crap shoot and you are rolling the dice, but if the QB you want is there, you have to take him at 8.

So sticking with the topic, I say you try to target a ILB in FA, but who is available at the position? If we didn't make a commitment to Cassel, I would say QB. You could target a G, like Davin Joseph. You could go after Rodger-Cromartie but back to my original comment, what does that say about Xavier Rhodes after picking up "The Captain."

??
    You're worrying too much. As said earlier, nowadays you really need to have three starting caliber corners. Offenses are spreading the defenses out with multiple receiver sets, so you need to have a deep corner roster and safeties that can cover. Cap, Rhodes, and Smith seem to be capable of what we need. We still need some safety and corner depth.

Defensive tackles? Floyd is a 3-technique guy, and Joseph is a hoss. Different skill sets, different responsibilities, different positions.

I actually think that our D-line is good to go right now (sans depth), and we're a corner away from looking decent in the secondary. I think with Zims coaching, we'll have a true strong safety that attacks the box, which seems to play into Sanford's skill set much more than cover-2 ever did.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Nothing at all. You need at least 2 starting caliber DTs and at least 3 starters at CB (and 3 at WR). One guy can only cover so much of the field, leaving the rest wide open. That is why Football is the ultimate team game...you are only as good as your weakest link.

Other than the obvious, QB, I see the 3 main positions of need remaining as CB, LB, and LG...not necessarily in that order, and we do have fall back plans in place in case we miss out with Robinson at CB, who was better outside, Cole flashing potential at MLB, and resigning Charlie.

IF Bridgewater or Bortles is available at 8 I'm pretty sure we'll go QB, and maybe for Manziel too. IF those 3 are gone, moving back a few spots would be great for us to add improved depth to multiple positions. I'd love to see us trade back with NYG or STL at 12 or 13 so they can secure whoever the best remaining OT is. That should put us in position to land one of the top 2 CBs, Gilbert or Dennard, or Mosley at ILB, all top-end pass D upgrades, and, net us an extra 3rd round pick, and quite possibly an extra 5 or 6 on top of that.

I love the Captain addition, but he is best suited for the slot/nickelback position, and with all of the huge WRs in our division (Calvin, Brandon, Alshon, Jordy, etc,) we might need a bit more size to cover those guys outside. On the other hand, our LBs have been terrible in coverage for years, and that is something Mosley is known for.

But LG is very important to both our running and passing games, and Charlie should be moved to backup...and his contract level suggests that is the plan. I think we will spend a pretty early pick on Guard, perhaps even no.8 if Mathews falls that far and nobody wants to trade with us...he has played OG before, and his dad played multiple OL spots too. A bit of a luxury pick? Definitely, but it should set up our OL for long term success and continuity.
    I don't see an early pick used on a Guard, even though I agree with your point re: Charlie and the need. And, the points about Matthews are admittedly intriguing. That said, the highest rated Guard, according to Scout.com, is Yankey (Stanford) at #32, followed by Su'a Filo (UCLA) at #47, Jackson at #49 (Miss St), then Richardson (Baylor) at #69. Here's the link: Scout.com: 2014 NFL Draft Top Rankings

Here's my last Mock…which, I think is a more likely path illustratively.
    QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
    LOUISVILLE
    CB LAMARCUS JOYNER
    FLORIDA STATE
    DE KAREEM MARTIN
    NORTH CAROLINA
    S DEONE BUCANNON
    WASHINGTON STATE
    LB CHRISTIAN JONES
    FLORIDA STATE
    RB DE'ANTHONY THOMAS
    OREGON

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    We need all those positions... LB, CB, S, DT, QB and LG, but we also need a back up runningback.... Huge hole there.... you guys really wanna roll with MIke Asiata??? Doubtful!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Gamble on AD being healthy. RB late round or next year.

Were Rhodes and Floyd really first round talent.? Rhodes did well and Floyd did well. This year they will both be relied upon and they will either pass or fail. I hate to think about them being somewhere in the middle because somewhere in the misdle turns into a project. I hope they continue to grow with the OTAs and camp.

At number eight this year you can't not take a franchise type player. Hard to say who falls where until draft day. Whoever can contribute from day one should be chosen.

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    I agree with Snowinapril. gotta be someone who makes a huge impact right away. Hopin Mack falls to 8 but not lookin that way as of late.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Bridgewater has been throwing up a lot of red flags as of late. He has had some big problems with accuracy, Mayock said he was mediocre at best at his pro day, and draft experts have him falling now.

With that being said, it now makes perfect sense for the Vikings to draft him and label him the franchise QB.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Bridgewater has been throwing up a lot of red flags as of late. He has had some big problems with accuracy, Mayock said he was mediocre at best at his pro day, and draft experts have him falling now.

With that being said, it now makes perfect sense for the Vikings to draft him and label him the franchise QB.
    Good one, he is destined to be a Vikings QB.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post

In the mock drafts that I have done, It seems like the couple position that we could get a top of the draft starter in the 8th spot would be OLB (Mack & possibly Barr),CB (Dennard or Gilbert), DT (Donald), WR (Watkins sometimes drops), and an OT (seems to be 3 good ones). A person could trade back a few and get a really good S or trade back to late first and get a G. Both trades back would require a second round compensation and possibly another late round compensation pick. The QB is really a crap shoot and you are rolling the dice, but if the QB you want is there, you have to take him at 8.

So sticking with the topic, I say you try to target a ILB in FA, but who is available at the position? If we didn't make a commitment to Cassel, I would say QB. You could target a G, like Davin Joseph. You could go after Rodger-Cromartie but back to my original comment, what does that say about Xavier Rhodes after picking up "The Captain."

??
    It doesn't say anything!! Joseph is a huge clogging 0tech that we needed since Phat Pat, he will play the 0 tech while Floyd plays the 3 tech, two completely different positions and different skill sets. The CB we got was for the slot and while he may play on the outside, his value will be playing in the slot. That means Robinson can go back to his true position and play outside which he is better suited and I think Robinson is going to have a much better year. So by signing Captain we improved in two areas. And we only have one CB worth a crap right now and that is the one we drafted last year. Now we have two strengths in the CB pos. we still need one more CB to compete in our division, we should try to get a tall cover corner in the draft.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123