Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

What is our best option?

I have heard way too much from the posters here about a new coach, it will not happen END OF DISCUSSION!!!! Well, at least until next season, so let’s look ahead at the rest of the season, I think I speak for the majority of true Vikings fans saying that there is plenty of season remaining, especially in our division which has been rather revolting. I think that the Vikings have a very legitimate shot at making the playoffs by winning the division.
    The question I pose is, how much impact do you see the recent additions to the coaching staff make? Will Foge really help the defense? Same for the offense with the newly brought in Rhome? I think would be content if not happy with Rhome, someone who has run an offense in the NFL and leave the O-Line to our current O-coordinator. The question I pose to the rest of the Vikings faithful out there is, what is the best solution for the Vikings, except replacing the coach, because it will not happen.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: What is our best option?

I think it all has to do with the appraoch we take into the games. We cannot take the conservative approach. We have to be the aggressor and play every game like its the playoffs. Quit with all the soft coverages and do not just blitz in the second half. Get in their face, bust them in the chops, and hammer the piss out of their offense. Force the WR to adjust their routes and throw off the timing of their QB's and WR's. This will also create sacks or they will "Favre" one up for grabs. What do we have to lose? We are already underachieving thus far! Go out there and make somebody pay for it.

Offensively, we need to run the ball right at them. Hammer them with it. Even if we have a few 4 and outs. We gotta get them to stack the box, then we dip and dunk over the middle and in the flats. Then we run and dip and dunk. Then, BAM...big gain post routes! Gotta spread the offense so every play does not end with 5 feet of our QB!

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

Brad Johnson.

Can't be worse than C-Pepper.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

i do not think that benching c-pep would improve a single thing. i agree with ultra, saying that we need to be aggressive in with our defense. If we become the aggressor the offenses we play will need to make adjustments around us. We have so far, been too soft letting the other ofenses dictate what they wants to do. I am tired of the other team dictate what they want to do, it is about time the vikings bust the other team in the mouth and make them adjust instead of us.

Purplefeet is offline Training Camp

I have said in other threads we need to go back to short passing game to open up other parts of offense. Use short passes to backs, hitches, slants, flat passes and out to move the ball, make this out running game. Force defenses to come up tight and spread the field. Now quick hitting dives and off tackle runs will open up. Overload one side with bunched WRs and break zones and throw deep once a quarter to keep DBs honest.

I think with a little work the D will be fine. Once they see life in offense they'll get fired up. I think what has happened so far on D is players watching offense and just thinking.....this is sad and honestly believing Vikings can't win so they get down and boom....big play.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"HerdDaVikes" wrote:
    I have heard way too much from the posters here about a new coach, it will not happen END OF DISCUSSION!!!! Well, at least until next season, so let’s look ahead at the rest of the season, I think I speak for the majority of true Vikings fans saying that there is plenty of season remaining, especially in our division which has been rather revolting. I think that the Vikings have a very legitimate shot at making the playoffs by winning the division.
    The question I pose is, how much impact do you see the recent additions to the coaching staff make? Will Foge really help the defense? Same for the offense with the newly brought in Rhome? I think would be content if not happy with Rhome, someone who has run an offense in the NFL and leave the O-Line to our current O-coordinator. The question I pose to the rest of the Vikings faithful out there is, what is the best solution for the Vikings, except replacing the coach, because it will not happen.

As for your statement that the coach won't be replaced, it's a pretty safe one for you to post NOW that Wilfi has come out and said he wont, good call on your part. Secondly, what good is winning the division if the team isn't playing well enough to make it past the first round of the playoffs. Might as well loose and go for a good draft pick. It's NFC Champ. or SuperBowl ... the rest in the long run means nothing. That's the issue, this organization has not set it's sights realistically high enough. JUST making the playoffs is considered a good season ... that has to change.

As for the addition of the new coaches ... they can only help with schemes and such, that can only go so far. They can't play on the field and can't prevent the Numerous injuries affecting the team so far this year. You can't win games in this league with 3rd string players in the secondary for an extended amout of time. Their is a reason they are 3rd string. In the media you hear "Oh, the poor Patriots ... they have sooo many injuries we will not rip on them" but the Vikes, "They are an awful team, overhyped, they can't compete without the "Receiver I refuse to name", CPep was just a flash in the pan last year, on and on and on .... Take a peek at the numerous number of players injured on the defense alone ... not to mention Birk out for the year, CPep's current injury. Not making excuses ... but it's reality.

Finally, can you please define for me a "true Vikings fan"? As tired as you are of hearing about a new coach, which was logical till Wilfi made his statement, I am tired of people loosely throwing around the term a "True" fan of this team.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

We need to run the ball,mix in some play-action.And we need to have Troy on the field stretching the defenses and cathing a few more bombs to make other teams see the do have to worry about him.As far as the coaching,I think what wilf is doing bringing in Rhome and Fazio is pretty good.Switching coaches once under way never seems to work.It would also be helpfull to get a few bodies back into the lineup.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

If Fazio, and Rhome can "define" our O and D, maybe simplify the D and find out where we need work.... Make some adjustments and let them fight out of this slump, and finally come together as a team, A Good Team like we should be. I believe things will turn around. We still can be 10-6, or 9-7. Win our division and be playing our best football. Skol Vikings.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

This article states exactly why we should not get rid of Tice this year.

Vikings better off keeping Tice for rest of seasonBy Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Archive

In a bye week that many felt would actually be the bye-bye week for Mike Tice, given that the Minnesota Vikings have been one of the NFL's biggest disappointments at the season's quarter pole, new owner Zygi Wilf has spared his embattled coach with the dreaded but at least dilatory vote of confidence.

For a rookie owner, Zygi, not a bad move.

Why so? Because as recent history has demonstrated, giving a coach the bird during the season, even when the vultures are circling, is almost never an effective move. Even a franchise that is struggling as mightily as the talented but also tainted Vikings are.
    Read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2183377&num=1

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnjamie" wrote:
    As for your statement that the coach won't be replaced, it's a pretty safe one for you to post NOW that Wilfi has come out and said he wont, good call on your part. Secondly, what good is winning the division if the team isn't playing well enough to make it past the first round of the playoffs. Might as well loose and go for a good draft pick. It's NFC Champ. or SuperBowl ... the rest in the long run means nothing. That's the issue, this organization has not set it's sights realistically high enough. JUST making the playoffs is considered a good season ... that has to change.

As for the addition of the new coaches ... they can only help with schemes and such, that can only go so far. They can't play on the field and can't prevent the Numerous injuries affecting the team so far this year. You can't win games in this league with 3rd string players in the secondary for an extended amout of time. Their is a reason they are 3rd string. In the media you hear "Oh, the poor Patriots ... they have sooo many injuries we will not rip on them" but the Vikes, "They are an awful team, overhyped, they can't compete without the "Receiver I refuse to name", CPep was just a flash in the pan last year, on and on and on .... Take a peek at the numerous number of players injured on the defense alone ... not to mention Birk out for the year, CPep's current injury. Not making excuses ... but it's reality.

Finally, can you please define for me a "true Vikings fan"? As tired as you are of hearing about a new coach, which was logical till Wilfi made his statement, I am tired of people loosely throwing around the term a "True" fan of this team.
    A true Vikings fan is an "enthusiastic devotee of a sport as a spectator" (to quote Websters). In our case it wiould be the Vikings.

This means you support your team no matter what, regardless of the teams win/lose count, coaching staff, amount of injuries or overall performance of the team.

It doesn't mean give up on your team if any of those variables prevent you from winning the Championship or Superball to the point where you want your team to "shoot for broke" & purposely lose to get a good draft pick.

Your statement about the coaches is correct. That also applies to current coaches as well as the new. It's the quality of the coaching that makes the difference & the players ability to follow that coaching & execute the plays as a team that wins footballs. You can have the best coaching money can buy, but if the players aren't executing what they're taught (i.e. not running routes properly, blocking properly, staying in their lanes, etc) or aren't playing as a team, with the desire to win, you're still not going to win very many ball games.

Sure the goal is to win a Superbowl or at least the conference championship to go to the "big dance", but if you don't make it, that doesn't necessarily mean you didn't have a good season. There are 32 teams out there & only two that make it to the Superbowl. What you are saying is that there are 30 teams every year that didn't have a good season, because they didn't get there.

Our best option is to stick with a shorter passing game to 1st get our confidence in the passing game back & 2nd to force the defense to cover our receivers & minimize the blitzing we've seen. This should open up the running game more as well as the long ball threat. Establish some new running plays. Straight up the middle on just about every run isn't working. Our O-line has to be more aggressive up front.
    The defense has to play more "in-your-face" coverage. For years we've been playing prevent defense where our guys are 5 yards off their man. We have been get slaughtered by 5-10 yard pass & run plays.

But whether were 1-15 or 12-4, whether we win or lose the division, playoffs or Superbowl, I'll be at every home game cheering on my team.

What is your definition of a true Vikings fan?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast