Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: What The Others Think (Cause Marrdro Was Pissed)

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1095872
    WTF negative nancy. 4th place in the powerful NFC North is nothing to scoff at.
    LOL, I should have read your post first. Our good friend bleed seems to like to look on the negative side of things.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Thoughts......

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095879
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095755
    I agree with almost everything you just said, with one or two exceptions.....
    We have come a long way.
    Yes we have. Atleast when we stay in the "Discsusion" mode instead of the "I'm right your wrong" debate mode.....

I don't think this team is in as bad a shape as you believe. It has basically the same players on it that got to the NFCC 2 years ago.
    While that may or may not be true, the glaring fact is the rest of the division has taken big steps forward and right now that same talent that might have been good enough for a division title will now get you the bottom rung on the ladder.
    I can agree with that, but take a look at the draft. The PUKERS, BORES and Lions all added talent, but still have holes of one type or another.

I think our staff is gearing up to expose those weaknesses/holes. I'm working a big thread that was waiting for the draft (and FA if we have it) to end before I post it.

Suffice it to say, it talks about those weaknesses.

Last year was a season marred by injury to the QB, across the OL, the WR's and CB's.
    Every team in the division battled injuries across the board. It didn't stop Detroit from improving their record, Chicago from winning the division and getting to the NFCCG and the Packers from winning the SB. The fact is we had very little depth ( Something at the beginning of the season you thought we had a surplus of) and thus we could not recover from a few injuries like other teams could.
    But see I see it in another light. We won six games, without a QB all the while starting alot of our "Depth" players cause the starters were injured.

to me, that equates to good depth. Again, if we would have had better QB play last year wouldn't have have been as bad as it was.

We added a very nice QB that should have a good year if he plays in the system (ala the Noodle in 2009).
    The other 3 teams are ahead of us at the QB position and barring injuries we will have the 4th best QB in the division.
    Again, I agree to a point. PUKERS yes, Bores yes, Lions No. Stafford still hasn't shown he can stay on the field, Cutler, without WR's isn't gonna be consistent, as we saw last year. Rodgers, on the other hand, has proven that he can carry a team.

Put young Ponder behind a healthy line, with Rice and Harvin as targets along with two nice TE's and AD (Toby taking reps) running the ball to protect the young kid and we can win games.

From what I'm hearing from Leslie this weekend, it appears he thinks the same way.

It appears the staff believes they can resign Rice as they didn't really address it as a priority need in the draft.
    What they think and what happens are 2 different things but as it stands he is a FA and without him we are very thin at WR.

That being said we can always sign Chad Ocho in FA
    Just say no to Chad. Other than that, I agree, again. But we have seen the staff pay more than anyone else if they want a guy. I think we are seeing the path being opened to do just that with Rice and Chad.

All the starters on the OL had surgery and should be back on the field

McKinney, Loadholt,Sully and Hutch all had surgery? I thought only Herrera did.
    I don't think all of them actually had surgeries but all of them are recovering from injuries that might or might not have required surgery.

Status of Cook and Griff is in question, as of yet, but I am hopefull.
    It is a huge question mark.
    Agree, but in the end, our backups played better than most on here want to admit last year. We added two very nice fits to the scheme. Coach Pagac seems to be a bit more agressive with his playcalling and we might even see, although it isn't a scheme change, a tweak to how he will employ our DBs in the C2.

Get any kindof improvement from the DL play from what we saw last year and this defense will be better.

That leaves:

DT position, which they appear to have their guy in Ballard. (I cooled off a bit after I did my research on that one)
    My research on him left me underwhelmed.
    At first I was pissed, Now, not so much. I like the versatility he brings.

Again, there are some questions, and some work for the staff, but I just don't see this team as being in shambles as you think. Thats why I was so miffed yesterday when I looked at how they were drafting.
    Look at the division again and tell me we have a prayer of competing and winning it. Not for a few years my friend.
    Time will tell. I think we will.

Hind sight is 20/20. After reviewing each player a bit more, I am now satisfied with the draft as a whole, FOR THE MOST PART. :laugh:
    I don't know that I have a problem with the draft but they had more things to fix in order to get to the level of the top teams than could be fixed in one draft. That coupled with the fact we cannot be real aggressive in FA because we are cycling our own FA's this year and the task is that much harder.

Thankfully we now have a new staff and don't have to worry about Childress anymore.
    And that is why I was so pissed when I initially watched how the draft unfolded. We sure left alot of good talent on the boards when we made our picks.

In the end, now that I sat down and looked at it, I am good with what they did (well almost).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095915
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095804

I don't think this team is in as bad a shape as you believe. It has basically the same players on it that got to the NFCC 2 years ago.

Last year was a season marred by injury to the QB, across the OL, the WR's and CB's.

We added a very nice QB that should have a good year if he plays in the system (ala the Noodle in 2009).
    Throwing to who? Rudolph and Harvin?
    It appears the staff believes they can resign Rice as they didn't really address it as a priority need in the draft.
    It appears nothing. Rice has made it quite clear he will walk if he's Unrestricted
    All the starters on the OL had surgery and should be back on the field.
    That should work so well... I mean Birk was a whole new player after his back surgery. And sullivan should hold up quite well against the Packers NT and the Lions wall of pain.

DT position, which they appear to have their guy in Ballard. (I cooled off a bit after I did my research on that one)
    Oh goodie, I somehow don't think Ballard and Guion will be as effective as Kevin & Pat Williams
    LB - Still not sure of the plan. Homan and Reed (probably going to play SLB not DE) will have a say in that solution, not to mention they could move Jasper out there to the SLB spot as well.
    Do you really think our sixth round pick will come in and start right away? These guys are there for a reason, they're not starters. not yet anyway. We have a bunch of late round/undrafted guys with Erin, Kenny, Jasper, and none of them are ready to step in, and they have NFL experience, what makes you think this rookie, one of who is listed as a DE and the other can't play strong side, will be effective at all? Special teams guys for now.
    Again, there are some questions, and some work for the staff, but I just don't see this team as being in shambles as you think. Thats why I was so miffed yesterday when I looked at how they were drafting.
    Packers - Superbowl Champs who basically get two draft classes this year (rookies, and injured reserve)

Bears - NFCCG, improved themselves through the draft, and likely will in FA as well

Lions up and coming team, who have the weapons to devastate us if they play good football.

Vikings - Last place in the NFCN, behind the lions, with a rookie QB, and players who don't want to be here.

Yeah, I'd say were in a little bit of what you'd call 'shambles'
    Hind sight is 20/20. After reviewing each player a bit more, I am now satisfied with the draft as a whole, FOR THE MOST PART. :laugh:
    As am I. I'm confident in 3+ years at least four of these guys will be decent players. Only problem is, it's not 3+ years from now.
    I think I understand why we can't agree on anything....

I am a optimist, you are not.
    Sure, I"m not blindly optimistic that 10 rookies, 7 of which were drafted after the 4th round, will make the team.

10 is a large draft class, not alot of teams bring in 10 rookies. Most of these guys look like they'll be contributors at some point, but not now.

Rudolph, Ponder, and our DT (keep forgetting his name) should be instant contributors. Not necessarily starters, but capable of playing right away. The rest will have to be worked into the system, playing special teams and maybe a handful of plays here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095918

It appears nothing. Rice has made it quite clear he will walk if he's Unrestricted
    That should work so well... I mean Birk was a whole new player after his back surgery. And sullivan should hold up quite well against the Packers NT and the Lions wall of pain.

Oh goodie, I somehow don't think Ballard and Guion will be as effective as Kevin & Pat Williams
    LB - Still not sure of the plan. Homan and Reed (probably going to play SLB not DE) will have a say in that solution, not to mention they could move Jasper out there to the SLB spot as well.
    Do you really think our sixth round pick will come in and start right away? These guys are there for a reason, they're not starters. not yet anyway. We have a bunch of late round/undrafted guys with Erin, Kenny, Jasper, and none of them are ready to step in, and they have NFL experience, what makes you think this rookie, one of who is listed as a DE and the other can't play strong side, will be effective at all? Special teams guys for now.
    Packers - Superbowl Champs who basically get two draft classes this year (rookies, and injured reserve)

Bears - NFCCG, improved themselves through the draft, and likely will in FA as well

Lions up and coming team, who have the weapons to devastate us if they play good football.

Vikings - Last place in the NFCN, behind the lions, with a rookie QB, and players who don't want to be here.

As am I. I'm confident in 3+ years at least four of these guys will be decent players. Only problem is, it's not 3+ years from now.

Sure, I"m not blindly optimistic that 10 rookies, 7 of which were drafted after the 4th round, will make the team.

10 is a large draft class, not alot of teams bring in 10 rookies. Most of these guys look like they'll be contributors at some point, but not now.

Rudolph, Ponder, and our DT (keep forgetting his name) should be instant contributors. Not necessarily starters, but capable of playing right away. The rest will have to be worked into the system, playing special teams and maybe a handful of plays here and there.
    Who said anything about 10 rookies making the team as why this team will be good/better this year.

I am saying this team, with a bunch of starter back on the field, that didn't play much last year, is what will make this team better.

Sometimes I wonder were you come up with some of the stuff you think I say.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095922

Who said anything about 10 rookies making the team as why this team will be good/better this year.

I am saying this team, with a bunch of starter back on the field, that didn't play much last year, is what will make this team better.

If not in here, than another thread, where you said most of these 'cats' would make the team and contribute.

I disagree. I view this draft not just as a way to get the best players, but also as a way to get our UDFAs. We know there won't be free agency for a while, so I think we loaded up on late picks and tried to get a bunch of guys to compensate for no rookie free agents. Snag them up before they go to the UFL or CFL.

It makes sense, but I just don't see at least 3 of these guys making the team. We do have too many decent players already who will have an increased role this season. Simply no room for all 6 players drafted 6th round or later.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095923
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095922

If not in here, than another thread, where you said most of these 'cats' would make the team and contribute.

I disagree. I view this draft not just as a way to get the best players, but also as a way to get our UDFAs. We know there won't be free agency for a while, so I think we loaded up on late picks and tried to get a bunch of guys to compensate for no rookie free agents. Snag them up before they go to the UFL or CFL.

It makes sense, but I just don't see at least 3 of these guys making the team. We do have too many decent players already who will have an increased role this season. Simply no room for all 6 players drafted 6th round or later.
    Show me the proof.....:P

Truth of the matter is, I still question that 2, possibly 3 of these guys might not make the team. That is why I was so pissed that they even drafted them.

Again, I wonder were you get this stuff.

Now if your saying that I said that every player drafted should make the team, then yes, I probalby said that. But even then it doesn't equate to a group like this.

What I mean when I say that is you (the staff) should move around the board, using picks to target cats that will make the team, not just draft a butt ass load of them hoping a few will.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095925
    What I mean when I say that is you (the staff) should move around the board, using picks to target cats that will make the team, not just draft a butt ass load of them hoping a few will.
    I'd say the latter was their strategy, as they didn't make any moves up to get a guy, only down.

They were saying all draft, they were constantly looking to trade down. They wanted to trade down from 12, they had many offers to trade down from 43, but Rudolph was just too good a player to pass up.

They're preparing for no free agency, and I actually kinda like it. give us alot of young guys to work through minicamps, in case we don't get the rookie free agent class we'd like.

I'd much rather prefer that to packaging picks, targeting 4 or 5 individual players, who have a good chance at not amounting to much anyway. There was one or two guys I would have liked to trade for, but other than that, I do agree with the strategy used here.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095927
    I'd say the latter was their strategy, as they didn't make any moves up to get a guy, only down.

They were saying all draft, they were constantly looking to trade down. They wanted to trade down from 12, they had many offers to trade down from 43, but Rudolph was just too good a player to pass up.

They're preparing for no free agency, and I actually kinda like it. give us alot of young guys to work through minicamps, in case we don't get the rookie free agent class we'd like.

I'd much rather prefer that to packaging picks, targeting 4 or 5 individual players, who have a good chance at not amounting to much anyway. There was one or two guys I would have liked to trade for, but other than that, I do agree with the strategy used here.
    They weren't preparing for no FA.

Trust me, there will be a FA period my friend. Just like there is gonna be football this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095929
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095927

They weren't preparing for no FA.

Trust me, there will be a FA period my friend. Just like there is gonna be football this year.
    meant rookie FA.

Yes, there will be free agents, but I bet a bunch of them go to UFL or CFL. They're making sure they get the ones they want now, so they don't run the risk of them not being there later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12