Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

What kind of star QB would you want?

"packmanxxxi" wrote:
    Outside of MN, Favre is widely regarded at one of, and usually THE best QB ever. When he retires he will be seen as the best. Before Marino or Elway left, the best ever talk hardly ever happened. Favre has it happen on a daily basis. You all wear purple blinders and cannot see it. Hey- I wear green ones and hate Moss just the same. Taking them off however, it is easy to see that despite his poor porr attitude he is the best reciever in the league, and at the current pace will be the best ever.

Just the facts.

Of course, all these crap posts come from MN where they claim to be so proud of their 10,000 lakes when in fact that have closer to 11,000. Whats even funnier is wisconsin has 14,000....lol just the facts....
    I disagree with your statement that outside of MN, Favre is "usually" considered "the best QB ever". One of the best, no doubt. May have records for TDs and passing yards when it is all said and done, and may be considered "the best" by some, or even many. I would venture that if you start a poll on some widely read forum by all NFL fans, Favre would probably not finish first. I suspect both Marino and Montana would finish ahead of Favre. Were Packers fans lauding Fran Tarkenton as the "best QB of all time" before Marino passed him? I doubt it. Favre is a GREAT QB, maybe the best ever (not my opinion, but everyone has one). But to say that most other NFL fans consider Favre the best ever is highly presumptious on your part. Favre being talked about on a daily basis? Only by Packer fans!

As great as Moss is, he has a LONG way to catch Jerry Rice. He is on a pace to do so, but he will have to play as long as Rice has, and probably win a title or two to wrest the honor from Rice.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Best ever? Whoa whoa whoa.

Brett Favre is a crazy good QB. I get yelled at by Vikings fans for defending him as the best QB in the league and perhaps of the past ten years.

But best ever? Putting Brett Favre in the same sentence as John Elway or Joe Montana is so facetious that it induces vomit. He hasn't, nor will he ever, accomplish that which they have.
    What exactly did Elway accomplish? What did he win, two Super Bowls? If Favre wins the Super Bowl this season, how comparable do you think Elway and Favre will be?

Elway also had the benefit of a great running game and offense around him. In my mind, Favre is already equal to, if not better than, Elway.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

He was the master of the drive. No one could put together a scoring drive like John Elway, save maybe Joe Montana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Oh, one other thing while I'm ranting. LA, how could you classify Montana as a "pure pocket passer"? Montana was very mobile, he certainly was no statue in the pocket like Marino or Bledsoe. Frankly, I would have put Montana in the "jack of all trades" category. Certainly, he would be the best of that lot (like Montana would be the best pure pocket passer), but he had an average arm, wasn't athletically special, but did all the little things well.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

"purplepat" wrote:
    Oh, one other thing while I'm ranting. LA, how could you classify Montana as a "pure pocket passer"? Montana was very mobile, he certainly was no statue in the pocket like Marino or Bledsoe. Frankly, I would have put Montana in the "jack of all trades" category. Certainly, he would be the best of that lot (like Montana would be the best pure pocket passer), but he had an average arm, wasn't athletically special, but did all the little things well.
    I guess I was seeing Montana more as the inventor of the West Coast concept, with quick drops and reads and throwing from the pocket more often than running. You can check his stats...I don't think he was a major scrambler, and mostly moved in order to move his pocket so he could get off the pass.

As a QB, (particularly a West Coast style), I don't think you need a rocket arm and can still be a pocket passer...you need brains, mostly. I can see him as a "jack-of-all-trades", but he was also a master of many of them, too.

You made me think, Pat. Stop that, now. :wink:
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123