Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: what the hell is the matter with the vikings??

"magicci" wrote:
    look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.

RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger

G Toniu Fonoti

C Melvin Fowler

DE Lance Johnstone

LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson

LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams

WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind)
    poorly handled? how does that work when his own agent said they were making progress?
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

my bad

no prob :smile: :thumbleft:

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    "magicci" wrote:
    look at all these ppl we are saying goodbye to! we are gonna be rooting for an almost totally different team next season. In 2004 who would have known our team would change so much in such a little amount of time.

RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger

G Toniu Fonoti

C Melvin Fowler

DE Lance Johnstone

LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson

LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams

poorly handled? how does that work when his own agent said they were making progress?
    i think that your talking about Koren Robinson

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Navycoach" wrote:
    What I'm thinking (and trust me, this is purely speculation) is that the reason the tag was removed from Williams, is that the vikings are preparing to package him in a trade deal with culpepper. Don't ask me where to (*cough* SAINTS *cough*) but let's hope a lot of good comes of it.
    When they removed the tag from B-Will, he became a free agent.

Can't trade a FA.

B-Will has stated he doesn't want to play for Minny anymore & wants to go elswhere. I believe the organization is granting his wish as they did for Daunte.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"magicci" wrote:

RB Michael Bennett

CB Ralph Brown

SS Corey Chavous

LB Sam Cowart

K Paul Edinger

G Toniu Fonoti

C Melvin Fowler

DE Lance Johnstone

LB Keith Newman

WR Koren Robinson

LB Raonall Smith

RB Moe Williams

I just don't think there is any point to holding on to a lot of those guys when there are better alternatives in free agency. There's no doubt we need to spend some cash this free agency period to fill the gaps they're leaving, but I think the guys we have the money to sign will make us better than resigning the players we already have. What's the point of signing guys to contracts if they're not going to make you any better than you were the year before?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

These are the players I would like back and why:

G Toniu Fonoti has shown potential, but inability to keep his weight down and injury problems might cause Brad Childress to let him move. There continues to be talks between the two sides.

Because he is a good big body that we desperately need on the O-Line.

WR Koren Robinson - Top 3 KR.. And solid WR.. Showed most promise at WR last year then anyone.

Because he will be a breakout star once he is in training camp from day one and with a clear head.

WR Nate Burleson - We need him.. When healthy he is sick

Because I will give him the benefit of the doubt. If he can stay healthy and not have that tremendous amount of pressure on him, then he could be really good in the WCO.

DE Lance Johnstone - Old.. But who cares.. Consistent and a beast

Because he is very good at what he does. He may be getting up there in age, but he was a huge part of our defense last season.

LB Keith Newman - STUDDDDDDDDDD

Because he is a player that plays balls to the wall. He was huge last season, and deserves to be here.

All of the others are replaceable, and I wouldn't care if the rest weren't brought back.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Navycoach" wrote:
    What I'm thinking (and trust me, this is purely speculation) is that the reason the tag was removed from Williams, is that the vikings are preparing to package him in a trade deal with culpepper. Don't ask me where to (*cough* SAINTS *cough*) but let's hope a lot of good comes of it.
    When they removed the tag from B-Will, he became a free agent.

Can't trade a FA.

B-Will has stated he doesn't want to play for Minny anymore & wants to go elswhere. I believe the organization is granting his wish as they did for Daunte.

Right on Singers. Why would any team want to have a player on their team that doesn't want to play there? You will not get everything out of that player, and it will make for a horrific relationship. The Packers will find that out real quick with Walker :grin:

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"magicci" wrote:
    Ahhh, but let's look at the REAL impact of those players on the team as a whole.

RB Michael Bennett - Failed in four years to establish himself as a starting Runningback by being hampered by injury (3 years) and failing to be consistant while healthy. Net Effect = ZERO

CB Ralph Brown - Back up CB who played well....but not at a starting level. Shows the potential to be a nickle back...needs work to consider starting. Net effect = ZERO

SS Corey Chavous - Usually smart player who lacks speed and is sometimes caught napping on deep routes. Had one Pro-Bowl year ('03), but tapered off since. Net Effect = Average.

LB Sam Cowart - Aging MLB who played well in '05. Nowhere near his '02-03 form anymore which is why the Jets let him go...cheap. Second on the team in tackles. Net Effect = Average

K Paul Edinger - Clutch kicker that struggles on the chip shots...at least THIS year he did. No one is beating down his door to sign him...and the Vikings know that. Net Effect = Replaceable.

G Toniu Fonoti Came in with question marks about his weight...got hurt almost immediately. He was brought in as a quick-fix. Net Effect = Negligable.

C Melvin Fowler - Another project player who was brought in to bolster a sad O-Line situation. Didn't play poorly, but also didn't play well enough to shed tears over if lost. Net Effect = Negligible.

DE Lance Johnstone - Aging DE who specialized in passing situations. Not someone I would simply toss aside, but also not worth a big dollar long term commitment. Net Effect = Average.

LB Keith Newman - Another Linebacker who played alright....but not well enough to commit to. 4th in team tackles...among Linebackers, 11th overall. Net Effect = Minimal.

WR Koren Robinson - Rehabbed Receiver makes Pro-Bowl....as a Special Teams Player. Shows great potential, able to stretch the field. Downside...wants Pro-Bowl RECEIVER money. Vikings own right to match, will let him test the waters so as not to over bad early. Probably be in Purple next season if the price doesn't get crazy. HOWEVER, due to strong Receiver corps, Net Effect = Average.

LB Raonall Smith - 5th year LB who hasn't cracked the starting line up with any authority. Ranked behind Ralph Brown in tackles last season. Net Effect = Minimal.

RB Moe Williams - Fan favorite, perennial short yardage RB with 10 NFL seasons under his belt. Runs hard, seldom fumbles, but on the down slope of his career. Net Effect = Minimal.

WR Nate Burleson (poorly handled in my mind) - Supposed Heir to the #1 Receiver slot...dropped off in '05. Injury did play some role in that, but so did a stronger than expected Receiver corps. Net Effect =Average

So, in summation, we're talking about a whole lot of guys who PLAYED, but aren't the heart and soul of our team. For the most part, we're talking about a lot of "Role Players" who can be replaced by cheaper - and younger - players. Of the list, I'd like to see Johnstone back, as well as either Burleson or Robinson (Both if the price is right).

There are 3 Linebackers on that list for a reason...and that reason is they probably aren't perfect fits for our new Defensive scheme.

However, don't be suprised to see many of these names back next season. Every season teams let guys go down to the wire...this year, the wire got extended, but it will be no different.

Caine

SWAYZE74 is offline Starter

well...i see where the organization is heading with the team...just look at the sheme they want to implement...not everyone is goin to fit...sure we may like individual players and what not...but if they dont fit, its time to hit the bricks...look at what the patriots did with their team...when they started winning numerous super bowls they had no "real" superstars on the team like moss or DC...i for one could care less if we had all these great individual players...its all about the TEAM...and if the team works, then it works...i forgot who posted a statement like "we knew big changes were gonna come" but ill second that statement...this is the start of something new vikes fans...so sit back, fasten your seat belts, and enjoy the ride...

peace...
    peace...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast