Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

What happens to Ontario Smith?

This may really be a stupid question but what monies (if any) does Smith receive this year from the Vikings. Is there a standard stipulation in a contract that if a player cannot play because of substance abuse he is not to be paid.
    Or, because he is still a member of the team does he get minimum wage?
    Anyone know FOR SURE!
    And secondly, can he be traded when he is suspended. (I don't know anyone dumb enough to take him and I realize he can't play for any team) but I'm just wondering if he could be traded for a draft choice next year.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: What happens to Ontario Smith?

I think one of 2 things is going to happen with Onterrio.

A. He stays in excellent shape when he is in his offseason and comes back and plays great like he did last year

or...

B. He does nothing and comes into next years camp out of shape and overweight and gets cut and never plays in the pros again. Or if he does he is never as good as he was.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Smith was in the last year of his contract I believe, is this on hold while he is suspended or is he a free agent next year.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Smith does NOT get paid for his year suspension. Also, his contract does not count against the cap for the Vikings. As vikinggreg said, I believe he is in the last year of his contract, so he'll become a free agent. And he might get singed as a backup somewhere for the veteran minimum or something, but basically his career is over.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

MNVikingGangsta Guest

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Smith does NOT get paid for his year suspension. Also, his contract does not count against the cap for the Vikings. As vikinggreg said, I believe he is in the last year of his contract, so he'll become a free agent. And he might get singed as a backup somewhere for the veteran minimum or something, but basically his career is over.
    i don't see how his career is even close to over unless he'd get caught again. Just because he got this year suspension doesn't mean all his football skills are gone. This could very well be a wake up call for him to stop doing what he was doing and get his life staright. I'm pretty sure there was an article in the star tribune with tice saying he wasn't going to give up on smith.

Come on! cut the guy a break! Who among of us can say we haven't failed 3 drug tests in a row and attempted to smuggle a Whizzinator through the airport?
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

"MNVikingGangsta" wrote:
    i don't see how his career is even close to over unless he'd get caught again. Just because he got this year suspension doesn't mean all his football skills are gone. This could very well be a wake up call for him to stop doing what he was doing and get his life staright. I'm pretty sure there was an article in the star tribune with tice saying he wasn't going to give up on smith.
    Shouldn't two failed drug tests be a wake up call? The guy is just a "gangsta" and a pothead. Frankly, we're better off without him. Let Mwelde Moore start.
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"MNVikingGangsta" wrote:
    Not many teams (and I sure hope not the Vikings) are willing to hitch their wagon to a guy who could be suspended for the year at any time. How can you depend on him?? You're right, you'd think that this would be a good wakeup call to resurrect his career, but he's already proven that he doesn't value his football career very highly.

As I said, he does have some good skills, so someone will give him a backup job for a little money, and maybe if he can prove himself there and actually pass a few pee tests, maybe he'll move up. But I don't think so.

Anyone remember Dale Carter??? (I think that was his name)

Thanks PPE for the sig.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

yeah he played for the Vikes between smokey tokey problems.

That being said, I think Tice might give him another chance.

If you like real close you can see "sucker" on his forehead.

MNVikingGangsta Guest

"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:
    "MNVikingGangsta" wrote:
    Shouldn't two failed drug tests be a wake up call? The guy is just a "gangsta" and a pothead. Frankly, we're better off without him. Let Mwelde Moore start.
    yeah your right we are better off without our leading rusher last year who also missed four games. i'm all for giving Memo the chance to step up and i realize that onterrio screwed himself and is an idiot for doing so but that doesn't mean his career is over and that doesn't mean we are better off without him. if he was a "cancer" than ya we are better off but i don't think onterrio was a bad apple in the locker room or anything like that.

canadianvikes fan your right, more than likely no team is going to just hand him a starting job but i'm sure a team will take a chance on him paying him the league minimum and with protection in his contract if he gets caught again they will recoup money, but if he's given a shot he could easily win a starting job. I mean if ricky is being given a second chance why should onterrio be any different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast