Re:What FA CB Do You Want.....

Holmstrom wrote:
    to see in purple????

Leigh Bodden
    Nick Harper
    Rodderick Hood
    Frank Walker
    Other........
    Bodden hands down... and i'm not just saying that bc he's my boy.... he's much better than winfield in coverage.. even if he's not as good a tackler..

TrojanVike28 is offline Starter

I think we need someone with speed that can cover. If you think about it, nobody in our secondary is fast. We need a top of the line speedster in the secondary to keep up with the elite receivers and Aromashadowho. I don't think anyone in the free agent pool has top-tier speed with good coverage skills. I think the draft will be vital. Hopefully Favre comes back so we don't have to waste a draft pick on a QB.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

TrojanVike28 wrote:
    I think we need someone with speed that can cover. If you think about it, nobody in our secondary is fast. We need a top of the line speedster in the secondary to keep up with the elite receivers and Aromashadowho. I don't think anyone in the free agent pool has top-tier speed with good coverage skills. I think the draft will be vital. Hopefully Favre comes back so we don't have to waste a draft pick on a QB.
    Couple of things to ponder......(CB Discussion)

1. Griff is probably 1 year away from being a top flight NFL CB. Thus the new contract.
    2. Whinny just got a bit contract
    3. FO/Ownership group will be hesitant to spend anymore money on that position especially when you start talking about shutdown CB's. They demand top dollar.
    4. I bet we find that this year, Bryzcheapski isn't gonna be a hero. My guess is that we are gonna be up against it when it comes to the CAP, and what is still available will be used to sign a few select rookies and some of our own key vets.......

(A few that will need to be signed or replaced)
    Tarvaris Jackson (10)
    Chester Taylor
    Naufahu Tahi
    Ray Edwards
    Ryan Cook
    Fred Evans
    (A few that could be signed early)
    Sidney Rice (11)
    Brian Robison
    Chad Greenway

(Yes Z, I know, I know, the whole Uncapped year thing. Lets pretend something gets done for this discussion OK.)

2010 NFL Free Agency and Expiring Contracts:

Unless they figure out how to absorb Whinnys CAP, they can't go out and bring in another big FA.

Maybe, just maybe they could convince the coaching staff to move Whinny to S, but in the real world, I'm not so sure (even though I mess around with it) that it would work because of his size as I fear he would be a part time player like Bob Sanders is.

My guess is that they will go ahead and let Paymah walk and use that roster spot. Bigger question is, will they elect to go for a Cover/Shutdown Corner (early round) or will they opt to go with another Cover 2 (Late Round) guy?

Gonna be a fun one to watch.

Edit: Almost forgot.....

Even if the Noodle comes back, which I think he will, they will draft a QB. The reason we are in the mess we are/were in at this position is cause the last regime was happy to sit with Pepp (what they had) and refused to draft and develop a QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I'm not =Z= but I don't think they are going to get an agreement done.
    In an uncapped year we should be asking the question, what trades will the Vikings need to make to improve this team?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    TrojanVike28 wrote:
    Couple of things to ponder......(CB Discussion)

1. Griff is probably 1 year away from being a top flight NFL CB. Thus the new contract.
    2. Whinny just got a bit contract
    3. FO/Ownership group will be hesitant to spend anymore money on that position especially when you start talking about shutdown CB's. They demand top dollar.
    4. I bet we find that this year, Bryzcheapski isn't gonna be a hero. My guess is that we are gonna be up against it when it comes to the CAP, and what is still available will be used to sign a few select rookies and some of our own key vets.......

(A few that will need to be signed or replaced)
    Tarvaris Jackson (10)
    Chester Taylor
    Naufahu Tahi
    Ray Edwards
    Ryan Cook
    Fred Evans
    (A few that could be signed early)
    Sidney Rice (11)
    Brian Robison
    Chad Greenway

(Yes Z, I know, I know, the whole Uncapped year thing. Lets pretend something gets done for this discussion OK.)

Personally, I like Asher Allen's upside. Therefore, he's my CB of choice.

And, given the list Marr supplies above, there are only three guys I would let walk, TJack, Tahi, and Cook. The rest need to stay IMO. They may find themselves forced to make a decision between Edwards and Robison...tough one, but I'd to Edwards to keep if forced to make that call.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Me personally...I don't want any FA CBs.

Listen, IMO Winfield's foot still isn't anywhere near 100%. I don't think it's a case of "father time has caught up to him", or that he's lost a step. We just re-signed the guy, he's a hell of a tackler and leader on this team.

We also just drafted Asher Allen, no reason to think he can't develop into an NFL caliber CB.

Now, you want to draft a guy to make Karl Paymah expendable...fine. But I'm not giving up on either of our starters just yet.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

I will settle for any CB who is fast and can tackle. Coverage schemes allow for splitting up the field into "your box too cover" Right now the lack of speed is killing us. Now Winfield can tackle but is not the fastest fellow. Hell the Vikes line up so far off the WR that 6-8 yards a slant pattern is almost a gimme.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

jargomcfargo wrote:
    I'm not =Z= but I don't think they are going to get an agreement done.
    In an uncapped year we should be asking the question, what trades will the Vikings need to make to improve this team?
    Maybe swap coaching staffs with another team? Depending on how things play out this year.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

purplepat wrote:
    Me personally...I don't want any FA CBs.

Listen, IMO Winfield's foot still isn't anywhere near 100%. I don't think it's a case of "father time has caught up to him", or that he's lost a step. We just re-signed the guy, he's a hell of a tackler and leader on this team.

We also just drafted Asher Allen, no reason to think he can't develop into an NFL caliber CB.

Now, you want to draft a guy to make Karl Paymah expendable...fine. But I'm not giving up on either of our starters just yet.
    I agree. Unless we are going to change to a different system, I think we could use our money elsewhere.

I would keep Paymah to do the job he was brought here to do, which is special teams. He does a decent job on special teams.

I think Asher has the potential to be our best corner.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast