Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What ever happened to....

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I liked him as well. You think with all the injuries and issues this year, he would have been picked up by someone.
    :
    I think he could convert to a small linebacker...kinda like Demorrio Williams of the Falcons and formerly of Nebraska.
    Blue's problem was that he couldn't cover, not that he couldn't tackle.
    Certainly a valuable special teamer.
    And this answers your question Marr: why he is not in our plans.
    Cover 2 Defenses utilize safeties that cover better than they support the run.
    They have to read and cover the deep halves of the field and do it very effectively due large area of these zones.
    In a nutshell, Blue doesn't really fit our scheme.

I would imagine that he would be more effective in a traditional SS role: Covering H-backs, TEs, FBs and knocking the snot out of people in run support.
    :-/
    I know what you mean...but everybody knocks Roy Williams for not being able to cover, but turn around and bring his name up in the "best SS" conversation. I understand what our cover 2 system consists of but the way i look at it, none of the safeties now are doing a great job of making plays end at the spot of the catches. I think Blue would be fine in this system, keep everything in front of you and don't give up any yards after catch. Honestly i think he would be better off than Dwight, who not only hasn't hit people hard, but has gotten beat deep on multiple occasions.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"clark_griswold" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I liked him as well. You think with all the injuries and issues this year, he would have been picked up by someone.

:
    I think he could convert to a small linebacker...kinda like Demorrio Williams of the Falcons and formerly of Nebraska.
    They have to read and cover the deep halves of the field and do it very effectively due large area of these zones.

I would imagine that he would be more effective in a traditional SS role: Covering H-backs, TEs, FBs and knocking the snot out of people in run support.
    I know what you mean...but everybody knocks Roy Williams for not being able to cover, but turn around and bring his name up in the "best SS" conversation. I understand what our cover 2 system consists of but the way i look at it, none of the safeties now are doing a great job of making plays end at the spot of the catches. I think Blue would be fine in this system, keep everything in front of you and don't give up any yards after catch. Honestly i think he would be better off than Dwight, who not only hasn't hit people hard, but has gotten beat deep on multiple occasions.
    IMO Smith has played better than any other safety this year including Sharper.

"ejmat" wrote:
    "clark_griswold" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    :

i think the biggest game that sticks out to me is when we were running a prevent D against the bears and he still got beat deep. That almost cost us the game. Sharper says all the time he wishes they ran more man coverages and a different scheme all together. Thats why i think Sharper would be playing better along side Greg in a more aggressive style of D. Let's not forget DSharp can hit with the best of them when given the opportunity. But right now he's forced to lay back and chill deep.

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

"clark_griswold" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "clark_griswold" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=39719.msg673708#msg673708 date=1194982159]

:

i think the biggest game that sticks out to me is when we were running a prevent D against the bears and he still got beat deep. That almost cost us the game. Sharper says all the time he wishes they ran more man coverages and a different scheme all together. Thats why i think Sharper would be playing better along side Greg in a more aggressive style of D. Let's not forget DSharp can hit with the best of them when given the opportunity. But right now he's forced to lay back and chill deep.
    [/quote]

Honestly, i have been wondering for awhile, are we playing the best kind of defense for the players we have. I think you fit the scheme to the personnel not
    the personnel to the scheme. its working well, except in pass coverage. hence perhaps the system needs tweaking. since sharp can hit.... let him. winfield too. thats why they brought them in. quit making them play tampa 2 zone all the time.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"tgorsegner" wrote:

Honestly, i have been wondering for awhile, are we playing the best kind of defense for the players we have. I think you fit the scheme to the personnel not
    the personnel to the scheme. its working well, except in pass coverage. hence perhaps the system needs tweaking. since sharp can hit.... let him. winfield too. thats why they brought them in. quit making them play tampa 2 zone all the time.

Which is perhaps what both Winfield & Sharper were elluding to in their recent comments about letting the playmakers make plays.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Gregory B. Blue (born March 12, 1982 in (Atlanta, Georgia) is a safety free agent of the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Blue

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123