Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    With that salary cap number you just posted in another thread, lets sign all three!

But yeah... have a feeling Micheal Jenkins will be our #1 next year and Harvin will be out of town.
    I don't think Jenkins is back even if Harvin leaves. Wright will move into that spot if they don't add a cat like Avery.

I'm 100% convinced the main effort will be to upgrade via the draft, but they will have to also have to satisfy a PR requirement surrounding the QB and to do that you can't do it with only rook WR's.

Lets not forget, Ponders issues (or perceived issues) didn't come to light until after his Vet WR went down and he was left with the likes of Jenkins to throw to.

My guess is we will add 2 WR's in the draft. 1 will be a X, one will be a Z and we will bring in at least 2 Z vets plus a butt load of UDFA WR's to see if we can find a Gem.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Frazier and the OC did exactly what they had to do to win games. Ride Peterson, a guy running like his pants were on fire. They got ten wins out of six (or less) win talent. It was a fairly masterful coaching job this season.

I expect receivers to get addressed, as well as corners. In two or three years, this team might be as balanced as the current Seahawks.
    I would argue Frazier and co did exactly what they had to do to save their jobs. Riding AD all year was a no brainer, not good coaching. Good coaches don't say things like, "it didn't dawn on me to go to Webb" after a game where his starter only had 50 yards passing mid way through the 4th quarter.

Steckel could have won 10 games if he had a back challenging Dickersons rushing record. I'm not saying Frazier is a terrible coach, he has his pluses, but lets be honest, without the season AD had the "Fire Frazier" thread would have been quite active this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Lets not forget, Ponders issues (or perceived issues) didn't come to light until after his Vet WR went down and he was left with the likes of Jenkins to throw to.
    I gotta disagree with this point. Ponders issues came to light long before Harvin went down. I believe Detroit was the first team to figure out our short passing game plan and shut it down. Ponder struggled and ended up with only 111 yards that game. After that game the short bubble screens and check downs were no longer catching teams off guard. Ponder had 2 sub 100 yard games with PH in the lineup.

8 g 171 comp 262 att 65.3% 1743 yards 10 td 7 int 85.8 rating 6.65 avg --- full games with PH
    7 g 118 comp 199 att 59.3% 1129 yards 8 td 4 int 80.2 rating 5.67 avg --- full games without PH

Stats don't include the Seattle game when PH went down. There's a slight drop in performance after the PH injury, but Wright filled in admirably, we took the leash off AD, and you could argue our schedule was much tougher in the 2nd half of the season, so it's not as simple as saying it was all because PH got hurt.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    LOL! Not true at all.

Are you trying to blame his poor mechanics, lack of not throwing to open receivers, poor accuracy, & some bad decision making on the fact that Harvin wasn't in the game? LOL!

Actually, some of his best games occurred when Harvin wasn't in there. Harvin did make him look good with his YAC, but Ponder did & still has issues.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    LOL! Not true at all.

Are you trying to blame his poor mechanics, lack of not throwing to open receivers, poor accuracy, & some bad decision making on the fact that Harvin wasn't in the game? LOL!

Actually, some of his best games occurred when Harvin wasn't in there. Harvin did make him look good with his YAC, but Ponder did & still has issues.
    I said nothing about his mechanics, not throwing to open receivers and all the other crap you just spewed.

Look, you act like he is the only QB that does that stuff. Take a look around the league old friend, all QB's miss open receivers, throw using poor mechanics, miss open recievers. ALL OF THEM.

Why oh why do you keep on persisting that Ponder should be the only one that doesn't?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    I would argue Frazier and co did exactly what they had to do to save their jobs. Riding AD all year was a no brainer, not good coaching. Good coaches don't say things like, "it didn't dawn on me to go to Webb" after a game where his starter only had 50 yards passing mid way through the 4th quarter.

Steckel could have won 10 games if he had a back challenging Dickersons rushing record. I'm not saying Frazier is a terrible coach, he has his pluses, but lets be honest, without the season AD had the "Fire Frazier" thread would have been quite active this year.

I gotta disagree with this point. Ponders issues came to light long before Harvin went down. I believe Detroit was the first team to figure out our short passing game plan and shut it down. Ponder struggled and ended up with only 111 yards that game. After that game the short bubble screens and check downs were no longer catching teams off guard. Ponder had 2 sub 100 yard games with PH in the lineup.

8 g 171 comp 262 att 65.3% 1743 yards 10 td 7 int 85.8 rating 6.65 avg --- full games with PH
    7 g 118 comp 199 att 59.3% 1129 yards 8 td 4 int 80.2 rating 5.67 avg --- full games without PH

Stats don't include the Seattle game when PH went down. There's a slight drop in performance after the PH injury, but Wright filled in admirably, we took the leash off AD, and you could argue our schedule was much tougher in the 2nd half of the season, so it's not as simple as saying it was all because PH got hurt.
    Good stuff, but up until Percy went down, especially the first games, all the press, and most fans were all agush over how great Ponder was looking especially coming out of the 9rs game.

Reason was our passing attack, although not the 3 deep that most on here still crave, was still effective. Effective enough to keep us in games when the running attack wasn't there and/or our defense screwed the pooch and couldn't get off the field.

In the end, Ponder had issues this year. Its to be expected. He's a second year QB for cripes sake. But our team had other issues along with our QB.

Specifically when Percy went down, it took Wright along time to finally start to be consistent, let alone get reps because the staff held him back. Our DL is crap. I don't care what anyone says about Jared and K-dubb. They both played like crap this year. Our WR's are for shit.

So yes, hack on Ponder, but a few of the losses early were not his fault. Atleast not all his fault.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I said nothing about his mechanics, not throwing to open receivers and all the other crap you just spewed.

Look, you act like he is the only QB that does that stuff. Take a look around the league old friend, all QB's miss open receivers, throw using poor mechanics, miss open recievers. ALL OF THEM.

Why oh why do you keep on persisting that Ponder should be the only one that doesn't?
    I'm not saying he's the only one with issues, I rebuffing that you A) don't think Ponder has many issues, if any & that they are just perceived & B) you feel many of those perceived or few issues he has are because he lost Harvin to throw to & was stuck with Jenkins, thus trying to blame any issues on the WR corp. Here again is what you were spewing;

Ponders issues (or perceived issues) didn't come to light until after his Vet WR went down and he was left with the likes of Jenkins to throw to.
    BTW, Ponder's best games didn't come until after his Vet WR went down and he was left with the likes of Jenkins to throw to.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer
    i would consider this season successful. our record drastically improved over last season, AP had an incredible, MVP probable, year. Ponder kept us in games, it was only his second year. Most of the media/fans were raving about the first couple of games.

saying Leslie would be on the hot-seat if it wasn't for AD is an asinine arguement. Adrian IS on the team, and CAN contribute. that's like saying mccarthy would be on the hotseat if they didn't have aaron rodgers. we have a future HOFer that's running the ball for us, hell yeah our HC is gonna use him.

This fanbase is consistently negative. This was a fun team to watch, and i'm really looking forward to next season.

i couldn't say as much at the end of last year.

edit: holy... a kenechi udeze sig. y'all haven't thought of him in awhile.... ha!
    Last edited by vikes09; 01-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    A win in the SB

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    2-14. As long as them two games are against the Pukers.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the situation.

For example, for teams like the Patriots, Colts(with manning), Steelers, Ravens, Packers, etc. A Successful season can only be a season ending with a superbowl win. They have been too good for too long, nothing less is acceptable.

For a team like us, coming off 3-13, a successful team IMO does not reflect our record, but more how we played. Is there promise and skill to build upon? This season, that answer is yes. We saw some rookies step up and look like starters. We saw some starts continue to be stars. We have guys like Allen, Harvin and Peterson who will finally be 100% healthy next year, and dominate again. We have a reason to think some questionable positions (WR) might not be truly as awful as we thought (but still fairly bad).

It's all context based. you can't take a team like the CHiefs, and say that if they don't win the superbowl next season, it isn't successful. If they get some wins, show some promise, and have players to build around, that's successful.

On the flip side, if the Pats miss the superbowl, that's an unsuccessful season.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast