Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56
  1. #11
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    We had a seven game improvement from the previous season. That is improvement.
    But HOW did we win those 7 games?

    On the back of Adrian Peterson. And that, to me, is an unsustainable condition.

    Look, Chiller did that after he drafted him. He rode AP until he got Favre. He never really IMPROVED the Offense, just kept telling us that Jackson was ready to take control of the team - despite the obvious lack of truth to that statement. Meanwhile, he rode AP on the Offensive side.

    Now we have a new coach, and a new OC, and the SAME STUPID PHILOSOPHY.

    What happens when AP gets hurt again, or - worse - demands a trade or retires? What then? Is Ponder and that receiver corps going to make Defenses stay awake all night trying to figure out how to stop them? Is Matt Kalil going to make our Receivers run better routes or catch passes?

    Sure, we won 7 more games than last year. Hell, we won 7 more games than i thought we would. But are we paving the road to success, or are we on the treadmill of predictability?

    Peterson is amazing. To me he's even more amazing when you consider the fact that absolutely NO ONE thinks we're going to throw. hell, they put 8, 9, and 10 guys in the box, and AP STILL hurts them.

    ...and Ponder and those receivers still can't.

    And until they can, this ISN'T the road to success. If we had the Defense of the 2000 Buccaneers or the 2002 ravens, then MAYBE AP on his own would be enough....but we don't.

    So, again, I don't really consider this season a "success". I consider it one that exceeded expectations, but until I see us moving in a more positive direction, that's all it is.

    Caine

  2. #12
    Jarlvik is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    76

    What do you consider a successful season?

    I say making the playoffs and playing one week longer than Da Bears is a success THIS year. Next year we need to send the Packers home. Tired of Discount Double Check Boy.
    None

  3. #13
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    I don't think merely doing better than last year or exceeding what some critics expect us to do this year qualifies as a successful year.

    We were 3-13 last year. many critics & fans expected us to go 4-12 to 6-10. Finishing 7-9 or 8-8 to me is still unsuccessful.

    Regardless of what we did last year, making the playoffs definitely qualifies you as being successful if you are playing in a strong division. Winning your division with an 7-9 record does not. By the same token a team can finish 11-5 & still not make the playoffs.

    Regardless of what we did last year, I don't look at last years record & grade the current year based on a curve. I just look at last year as being unsuccessful, wipe the slate clean & start over again the following year.

    Going from a 3-10 season to an 6-10 season or even an 8-8 season, IMO, isn't success, it's simply progress on your way to one year becoming successful.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Rome wasn't built in a day.

    Success to me is determined by were the team is going into the season.

    This year we were laying the foundation for what will hopefully be the foundation of a team that can contend for years to come.

    OL - Solid. Might need to look at Fusco but still solid.
    DL - Issues there. Still serviceable but we need to fix the middle.
    LB - Concerns at OLB and possibly MLB. I think we just need to address OLB starter and add depth.
    DB's - Solid. Might need to add depth at both CB and S and possibly add another starter at FS.
    WR's- Horrendous. Need complete overhaul
    TE's - I like what we have. Carlson might come around as it took Shanc two years to get comfortable with the system. Still not sure why we added him as he didn't fit what Bevs was doing in Seattle so why would he work in our scheme.
    FB/H-back. - Solid
    RB - Solid. Can probably trade Toby and still not have worries.
    QB - I like Ponder so get ready for discussion points from me all season defending him. Webb needs to go. Taking up a roster spot that we can put a old vet in or draft another kid to fill.

    So, after all that, back to the question. Success this year for me was 9-7, second in the div and making it in as a wild card. Pretty high expectations for a team in a "Rebuilding Mode".

    Next year the bar goes up.

    I want to see more consistency from our QB.

    I want to see a full compliment of WR's. Maybe Simpson back at the X, Percy at the Y and a Vet (along with a rookie) that can play the Z and another vet that can play both the Y and possibly Z.

    I want to see our DB's stay healthy. To do that we need to quit putting so much on them in run support. Fix the DT position so that the LB'rs can make the tackles and let our DB's cover receivers.

    And anything short of making the playoffs again next year will be considered a failure.

    Not a hard plan. Spend wisely in the FA market. We have to anyways because we are low on the "You have to spend X amount" area. Resign only the Vets we really need off this roster. Let the ones go that aren't going to live out their new contract and most importantly, draft another excellent class like we did last year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    190
    Brady or Rodgers will win the Superbowl this year. Nuff said. Go look at the last 8 SB winners and tell me what they all have in common... A stud qb... You don't have one... it's all window dressing.

  6. #16
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Brady or Rodgers will win the Superbowl this year. Nuff said. Go look at the last 8 SB winners and tell me what they all have in common... A stud qb... You don't have one... it's all window dressing.
    If not a stud QB, what is Peyton Manning? Has he transcended the "stud" title into legendary or iconic status?

  7. #17
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day.

    Success to me is determined by were the team is going into the season.

    This year we were laying the foundation for what will hopefully be the foundation of a team that can contend for years to come.

    OL - Solid. Might need to look at Fusco but still solid.
    DL - Issues there. Still serviceable but we need to fix the middle.
    LB - Concerns at OLB and possibly MLB. I think we just need to address OLB starter and add depth.
    DB's - Solid. Might need to add depth at both CB and S and possibly add another starter at FS.
    WR's- Horrendous. Need complete overhaul
    TE's - I like what we have. Carlson might come around as it took Shanc two years to get comfortable with the system. Still not sure why we added him as he didn't fit what Bevs was doing in Seattle so why would he work in our scheme.
    FB/H-back. - Solid
    RB - Solid. Can probably trade Toby and still not have worries.
    QB - I like Ponder so get ready for discussion points from me all season defending him. Webb needs to go. Taking up a roster spot that we can put a old vet in or draft another kid to fill.

    So, after all that, back to the question. Success this year for me was 9-7, second in the div and making it in as a wild card. Pretty high expectations for a team in a "Rebuilding Mode".

    Next year the bar goes up.

    I want to see more consistency from our QB.

    I want to see a full compliment of WR's. Maybe Simpson back at the X, Percy at the Y and a Vet (along with a rookie) that can play the Z and another vet that can play both the Y and possibly Z.

    I want to see our DB's stay healthy. To do that we need to quit putting so much on them in run support. Fix the DT position so that the LB'rs can make the tackles and let our DB's cover receivers.

    And anything short of making the playoffs again next year will be considered a failure.

    Not a hard plan. Spend wisely in the FA market. We have to anyways because we are low on the "You have to spend X amount" area. Resign only the Vets we really need off this roster. Let the ones go that aren't going to live out their new contract and most importantly, draft another excellent class like we did last year.
    Huh, I actually agree with everything you said...who knew!? :-)

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    Huh, I actually agree with everything you said...who knew!? :-)
    I haven't been around enough to have irritated you lately. I am sure I will get back into that mode as the off season gets going.

    Working on my "Team Needs" (for every team) thread now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Brady or Rodgers will win the Superbowl this year. Nuff said. Go look at the last 8 SB winners and tell me what they all have in common... A stud qb... You don't have one... it's all window dressing.
    You happen to notice how many teams made the playoffs that have sound running games along with a decent passing attack?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You happen to notice how many teams made the playoffs that have sound running games along with a decent passing attack?
    Woud you like to wager that no one other than Manning Rodgers or Brady wins the Sb this year. I'll bet my double wide on it. You know it's going to happen. Most defenses are average in the NFL. The pundits like to tell you different but in fact great qb play wins championships today. Go look at the last 7 SB winners.

    Mannings, Rodgers, Brady, Brees... It's not coincidence... It's reality.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •