Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    MrFlix is offline Training Camp Dynamite Blast 2 Champion
    This might be a stupid suggestion but why not use him as wildcat QB? If the other team sees webb coming on the field they will suggest a wildcat but the good thing is, the man can run fast and he can catch. He isn't an amazing WR or QB but he has a bit of both. And that can confuse the other team.

I'm not that experienced with football decisions but it's what I would do

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It would seem the the "wildcat" or ''Blazer" causes more confusion for our offense than the opposing defense.

I might not speak for the O.C but I always believe you just line up and beat their 11 with our 11.A gadget play may work 2-3x a season but it isn't something that I want them to have as a staple of the game plan.

If he can't fit into any position on the offense then he is just a great athlete and not a football player.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It would seem the the "wildcat" or ''Blazer" causes more confusion for our offense than the opposing defense.

I might not speak for the O.C but I always believe you just line up and beat their 11 with our 11.A gadget play may work 2-3x a season but it isn't something that I want them to have as a staple of the game plan.

If he can't fit into any position on the offense then he is just a great athlete and not a football player.
    I think when you also factor in the holes and lack of depth through out the rest of the roster can the team really afford to spend time and energy on a great guy and athlete that is a gadget at the moment. I'd like to say yes but have a hard time seeing a place for him over the near future, he's racing stripes on a car without a transmission, bald tires and the engine could be iffy.

iowa is offline Rookie
    No more "blazer package" what a freakin debacle that thing was.Why not put him in the backfield with Ponder, hand it to him, pitch it, swing pass, reverse, etc. and occasionally Joe could put it up himself.The dude is electric with the ball in his hands, why not take advantage of it.
    None

Ohjay is offline Waterboy
    As I wrote in the thread about the 2nd preseason game, I don't see Webb as a "Traditional" NFL QB, his instincts are not right for it, and trying to change his instincts will only limit his talent.
    I'd rather see him as a WR/RB depending on his catching abilities(I haven't seen enough to form an opinion), and then set up some option plays with Webb as QB to befuddle opponents.
    I think Webb would be excellent in a double-/triple-option Wingback(Wing-T) play and it would mix things up quite well...

Question is what we'd do at QB if Ponder gets injured because Sage doesn't look all that good and although I sort of like MBT I don't think we've seen enough to say that he can be a backup QB. I liked what I saw in 1st preseason game, but that's nothing to form an opinion on. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with Webb as backup QB for this season and hopefully we can get a decent backup FA QB next year and move Webb to another position that better compliments his skill set.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    He's so freaking fast! Gotta love the way he runs!! Not sure how to use him more tho...its not like anybody can just up and suddenly start catching balls like a WR. He's starting to look like a faster, shiftier Tebow!?
    Please tell me you didn't just compare Webb to Tebow.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlix View Post
    This might be a stupid suggestion but why not use him as wildcat QB? If the other team sees webb coming on the field they will suggest a wildcat but the good thing is, the man can run fast and he can catch. He isn't an amazing WR or QB but he has a bit of both. And that can confuse the other team.

I'm not that experienced with football decisions but it's what I would do
    That automatically qualifies him as our #3 WR.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That automatically qualifies him as our #3 WR.
    LOL. So true!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    If the Vikings ran a real Walsh WCO, they could line up Webb or Harvin split behind Ponder.

The Wildcat is a joke. Just handoff the ball to Webb and let him run. We can only hope Webb can block.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    If the Vikings ran a real Walsh WCO, they could line up Webb or Harvin split behind Ponder.

The Wildcat is a joke. Just handoff the ball to Webb and let him run. We can only hope Webb can block.
    To run a real Walsh WCO, we need a WR corp that who are sure handed and comfortable catching the ball in traffic, a RB who excels at catching out of the backfield, and a QB who can read the defenses almost immediately and is accurate enough to throw blindly into traffic. It overemphasized short accurate passes and deemphasized running plays and deep routes.

Unfortunately all of our WRs, with the exception of Harvin and possibly Simpson, either suck or are unproven. And our RB, while easily the best in the NFL, is not a great pass catching RB. And our QB, while improving, is not at that level yet and it is unknown if he will be.

The WCO when run in its purest form is a thing of beauty. But our team is not set up for it.

But I agree, the Wildcat is a joke and needs to be retired. Now.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast