poult is offline Asst. Coach

what determines #1 offense

i see that the vikes have 112 points on the year, while the colts have 159, san diego has 140, and houston has 118. is it the fact that they havent had a bye yet so theyve got one more game in than the vikes? or does more than points get added into the equation?
    "the only diffrence between suicide and martyrdom is the press coverage"
    Tender Branson

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: what determines #1 offense

"poult" wrote:
    i see that the vikes have 112 points on the year, while the colts have 159, san diego has 140, and houston has 118. is it the fact that they havent had a bye yet so theyve got one more game in than the vikes? or does more than points get added into the equation?
    Total yardage per game, I think...that would take care of the bye week inequities.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

i think everything is averaged per game, kinda like what u said cajun. TDs, all variations of yards, and such.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

well it really depends what youre talking about. THeres scoring offense and total offense. They both are aveaged as said above and we are the #1 total offense with all the yards we rack up each week. Its going to take us awhile to catch indy i bet.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Total yards.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Total yards.
    Just what ultravike said. When the announcers speak of the "#1 ranked offense in the NFL", that is strictly talking about the number of yards gained. Points scored do not enter into the equation.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Perosnally, I think it should be about Points scored, and only points scored. The San Francisco 49ers gained well into the 300s of yards in our game against them last year. However they only scored 7 points, their offense sucked, but it that yardage total had been their average for the season, they were a top-10 offense.

I yards are almost a non-factor. In personal Stats, they are huge, and they are big in determining which PLAYERS are better, but as far as teams, or units. They don't mean much. In order of importance I think the top offenses should be ranked accordingly:

1. POINTS
    2. Turnovers (not the ratio, but how many turnovers)
    3. Red Zone efficiency
    4. 3rd Down conversation Percentage
    5. Yardage
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

If you go by average points.

Indy -----31.8 (played 5 games)
    Minn -----28.0 (played 4 games)
    San D----28.0 (played 5 games)
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Perosnally, I think it should be about Points scored, and only points scored. The San Francisco 49ers gained well into the 300s of yards in our game against them last year. However they only scored 7 points, their offense sucked, but it that yardage total had been their average for the season, they were a top-10 offense.

I yards are almost a non-factor. In personal Stats, they are huge, and they are big in determining which PLAYERS are better, but as far as teams, or units. They don't mean much. In order of importance I think the top offenses should be ranked accordingly:

1. POINTS
    3. Red Zone efficiency
    5. Yardage
    I dont think that there is any single stat that would perfectly represent an offense's proficiency. For example, if you only considered points, one could argue that it wouldnt be a good representation because it may be highly depedent on the quality of a kicker, may be skewed by points scored by the defense, would be affected by time of posession (which would be dependent upon the quality of your defense and how fast they can get the football back to the offense), etc.

Since sport nuts (like many of us) have nothing better to do than to argue about stats and which team is better than who, they should come with some new stat that can be calculated with some equation comprised of a number of the factors such as the ones that you list above. Kind of like a quarterback passing rating, but for other things such as offensive, defensive, and special teams ratings.

All we need is some math geek who can figure how to best calculate such a number! :idea:

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"eelpout72" wrote:
    "VikemanX84" wrote:

1. POINTS
    3. Red Zone efficiency
    5. Yardage
    I dont think that there is any single stat that would perfectly represent an offense's proficiency. For example, if you only considered points, one could argue that it wouldnt be a good representation because it may be highly depedent on the quality of a kicker, may be skewed by points scored by the defense, would be affected by time of posession (which would be dependent upon the quality of your defense and how fast they can get the football back to the offense), etc.

Since sport nuts (like many of us) have nothing better to do than to argue about stats and which team is better than who, they should come with some new stat that can be calculated with some equation comprised of a number of the factors such as the ones that you list above. Kind of like a quarterback passing rating, but for other things such as offensive, defensive, and special teams ratings.

All we need is some math geek who can figure how to best calculate such a number! :idea:
    I like Vikeman's suggestion, but the Points stat has to be only points scored by the offense...and maybe even some discounting for defensive plays that set up easy scores so that teams with better defenses don't make their offenses look better than they are (not that our defense would make us look any better on offense)
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE