Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: What Childress lacks... Tice had.

You said it, uffda. The Vikes couldn't break 9-7 with no defense and this team will struggle to break 9-7 with no offense.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    I was a Mike Tice supporter.
    I long lamented the fact that Red *goat grabber* McCombs wouldn't allow Mike to hire real coaches...or bring in real players.
    Tice never really stood a chance of being successful here, and was fired.

Childress has made only a couple of significant errors thus far - in my opinion.

1:
    He has elected to call the plays.
    From what I've seen thus far, I'd be happier if we had a REAL Offensive Coordinator on the side lines calling plays and working up schemes. I don't know what Darrell Bevel actually does, but knowing that he was with Childress at the UW and doesn't have the type of coaching resume noramally associated with an OC, I can only assume he was brought in to fill the slot knowing that he won't rock the boat.

Here's Bevel's bio snap shot from NFL.com:

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator; born January 6, 1970, Yuma, Ariz. Quarterback Northern Arizona 1989, Wisconsin 1992-95. No pro playing experience. College coach: Westmar 1996, Iowa State 1997, Connecticut 1998-99. Pro coach: Green Bay Packers 2000-05, joined Vikings in 2006.
    His highest ranked position was Quarterbacks Coach with the Packers...not exactly inspiring.
    And, with only 10 years of TOTAL coaching experience, unless he's some sort of prodigy, is he ready for this?
    And, if he WAS a prodigy, why isn't he calling plays?
    It is increasingly my opinion that Bevel was brought in and given an empty title because he would, in essence, be a "Yes" man.

Childress and Wilf are both doing the same thing...and it's a mistake in both cases.
    They're both trying to do it THEIR way...all by themselves.
    Zygi won't bring in a real GM, and Childress won't bring in a real OC.

2:
    He did not actively pursue a better QB or better receivers.
    This one I'm willing to slide a bit on because of what he DID actively pursue - a better O-line (At least on the left side) and a better Defense.

Childress has the advantage of being new in his position, but no fan wants to watch their team struggle through the rebuilding process.
    Everyone remembers how Gruden won a Superbowl in Tampa Bay his first year there...and everyone wants that (They just don't want their team to immediately suck for the next 6 years after that).

Childress is a conservative guy...that's probably what Zygi likes about him.
    It's reflected in his personal life...and in his play calling.
    In the latter case, however, it's an extreme liability.
    Andy Ried, Childress' former boss, takes risks.
    That's why his team has offensive numbers, 4 consecutive trips to the NFC Championship game, and a Superbowl appearance.
    Childress needs to hire someone with a more daring approach to the game, someone who will ignite the team, not someone who will blindly nod every time Childress calls another running play on 3rd and 12.

The biggest difference between Tice and Childress is that Tice has no future with the Vikings, Childress does.
    I hope that this season will serve as a wake up call to Brad, and that he will recognize his NEED to have a real OC on board.
    He'll still call the shots, but let someone else call the plays.

Some might think I'm being anti-Childress.
    I'm not.
    I'm all for the guy.
    But one thing I've noticed about great NFL coaches...they surround themselves with excellent coaches who also go on to be great NFL coaches...and they let them do their jobs.
    Chldress will hopefully realize that the best Head Coaches aren't the guys who can call the best plays or create the best schemes, they're the guys who find the guys who can...and let them.

And bring in some real receivers, a real QB, and shore up the Defense.
    Tomlin has been brilliant - except versus New England - so lets keep him with a continuous supply of talented people to make his Defense run (Until someone grabs him to be THEIR Head Coach...sometime in the next 3 years most likely).

Caine
    this is what i have a problem with because thats the role childress played in philly
    And perhaps by calling the plays here, he wants to prove a point & show Reid that he can be successful calling plays & winning as in "See I told you so!"

IMO, It's an ego thing.

The problem is, it isn't working. As I said much earlier in the season, there's a reason Reid didn't let Childress call the plays & I think we are finding out why.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmmcgorman is offline Rookie

The only reason our offense had anything going was not Mike Tice, Try Linehan.
    As soon as linehan left the dolphins all of a sudden they suck.

Also take a look at the Washington Redskins.
    Their coordinator is Al Saunders, who used to be the O-Coordinator for the Chiefs who had the #1 Offense in the league many times. They have a lot of talent at offense, but their playbook is over 700 pages.
    It takes time to learn the sweet spots of each individual play.

It takes time with new coaches, new systems, wide receivers that can't catch (Whoops did i say that out loud?) When those things settle, the offense will be restored.
    Talking about mike tice and his heart is the furthest thing from what this vikings team needs.

To be honest, having a winning record at this point is very good considering all of the new things in place.
    We didn't just replace a head coach, your talking every single coach on the team.
    Everyone is new.

I am incredibly impatient as well, but give it time.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I don't think this team had an identity with Mike Tice.
    I think all the players liked to play the game and so their Identity was try to win.
    Thats not a very good ID.
    With Childress this team is trying to being an identity that is tough, physical, football with little to mistakes.

Right now we haven't lived up to that Identity and I don't think that Childress fosters a real love for the game like Tice did.
    Tice was a great guy and I was sad to see him leave the Vikings organization but he just wasn't there as a Head Coach.

I think what Childress is lacking is a guy like Tice on his coaching staff.
    I think our guys are too worried about not mistakes to worry about making plays.
    It just doesn't look like their having as much fun as they looked like they were with Mike Tice.

Jury is still out on Childress.
    I'm not a fan him right now but I'm saying we should get rid of him either.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I don't think this team had an identity with Mike Tice.
    I think all the players liked to play the game and so their Identity was try to win.
    Thats not a very good ID.
    With Childress this team is trying to being an identity that is tough, physical, football with little to mistakes.

Right now we haven't lived up to that Identity and I don't think that Childress fosters a real love for the game like Tice did.
    Tice was a great guy and I was sad to see him leave the Vikings organization but he just wasn't there as a Head Coach.

I think what Childress is lacking is a guy like Tice on his coaching staff.
    I think our guys are too worried about not mistakes to worry about making plays.
    It just doesn't look like their having as much fun as they looked like they were with Mike Tice.

Jury is still out on Childress.
    I'm not a fan him right now but I'm saying we should get rid of him either.
    agreed..the only problem is that in our losses we have gotten killed in this aspect..toughness, and physical play starts up front, and weve gotten our asses handed to us at that spot in our losses ..i also agree with the second part i highlighted..i think this offense (playcalling, on field execution) has relied wayyyy too heavily on just trying not to lose the game rather than making an attempt to open it up and make some plays to win us the game..the blame for that doesnt fall on any 1 person, but the entire offense including coaching staff and players
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"PurpleRide" wrote:

there you go, blame the refs.
    Its the refs fault johnson sucked it up.
    Its the refs fault no one on defence could stop anyone, its the refs fault we fell behind fast.
    Yeah blame the refs, its also the medias fault the vikings lost bad because they gave them respect for once
    Great attitude PurpleRide! Johnson is 11-5 sinnce taking over for DC off with his head
    :
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"Vikestand" wrote:
    Holy Bones! Metro-dump speak ENGLISH....
    I attempted to use an Ebonics translater and got this in return:

I'll git flamed fo dis, but

Build uh crip like dey gots in Green Bay. Dey had like 15+ yeahrs o' loozin season an' still sold out da crib da whole tyme. Dey had crappy coaches an' team dat whole tyme, az we's awl know.

Green Bay be like 100,000 population. What iz da cities? WAY MO.

Build an outdoor crib an' dey will come.

Build an outdoor crib an' hire another Denny an' we's be right where weze need ta be. The end.

Az fo da thread at hand, like I say, Childress be needin mo than 7 games.
    and shit.
    :

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

One thing Tice had that Childress didn't was Ted Cotrell

(Ted's sorry ass was not an asset by the way)

What kind of records would Tice have had if Tomlin was his DC?

What would our record be this year if Childress had Cotrell as his DC?

My guess is 0-7 & I'd bet I'm pretty damn close.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

I dont give a shitt who is coaching this team. We have a winning record right now and we are in the playoff hunt. We may have gotten destroyed by the Patriots but they are the Patriots. I dont care about what childress has and does not have, he has a winning record with my vikings and i dont really care about anything else. Once we dont have a winning record then i will personally start the fire childress campain.

On a side note my Whitmer Panther a number 8 seed in the Region 2 Ohio high school playoffs just nocked off
    number 1 seed 10-0 Freemont Ross last night in Freemont. All the way to the state finals baby!

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

"RK." wrote:
    The only thing that Tice had that Childress doesn't is a pencil behind his ear.
    :P
    And the extra income from tickets

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567