Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: What the ARF was that Play Call?

"Deronn" wrote:
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.

The fake field goal last week would have
    been a bad play too if it hadn't worked. Pass on 4th and 2 a risky play? Yes, but no more so than the fake. If we hadn't have converted the fake FG last week, this tread would have started last week. Instead, the play was the talk of the NFL and Childress was called brilliant for outcalling 2 outstanding coaches.

The offence hasn't been reliable enough the last 2 weeks for Childress to count on anything, which I'm sure is why he's calling these types of plays. They got us a win last week, and contributed to the loss this week.

I think that these are the type of games we can expect all year - all decided by few points (3 pts each the last 3 games) and decided by a play or two. The defence is strong, but the offence just isn't dominant enough for games to play out any other way.
    The fake field goal last week was totally different.
    If the Vikings kicked the field goal they were still down by a TD (4 pts), it made no sence to kick the field goal.
    I was surprised that Carolina was taken by surprise on that play with only 7.5 min. left I was wondering why they were going for a field goal and then they faked it and it made sense.
    If it would have failed they still needed a TD to get back in the game, same as if they made the field goal.

That being said, I didn't have a big problem with the play calling for the most part.
    The last turnover was really painful.
    Enjoyed the game though, even though it was an L it exposed the Bears offense for what it is, average at best.
    The Vikings offense has a way to go before it can even claim being average.
    It is early and they will gell, I have no doubt.

goldseedlbg is offline Training Camp

the play calling was horrible on both side of the ball. we need better play from our free agent pick ups(hucth,c taylor). we need cordinators with some b@lls. rex had all day to throw the ball. we need a real pass rushing de. i would trade one or two of our picks for burgess.

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

I would have to guess the reason those plays were called is because they felt they would work.
    Had they worked wonderful!
    Like Snow said we would drooling over the "great" calls.
    All plays have two sides just like a coin.
    This is not the end of anything or the beginning of the end.
    It is just a loss to a team we match up against very well.
    This is the the Black and Blue Division, it has been this way forever and it always will be this way. Accept it.
    I have, because I have watched these teams battle it out for 40 years.
    This is no biggy..........
    6-kings

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

Exactly! Who would've ever thought we would be 2-1 right now anyway. It is always a tough game between these two teams. Now we have to learn from our mistakes and win at Solider field. I have to admit, this team keeps it close (which gives me mini heart attacks I haven't had in a loooong time).

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"grpape" wrote:
    Exactly! Who would've ever thought we would be 2-1 right now anyway. It is always a tough game between these two teams. Now we have to learn from our mistakes and win at Solider field. I have to admit, this team keeps it close (which gives me mini heart attacks I haven't had in a loooong time).
    this TEAM doesnt keep anything close, this DEFENCE keeps it close..this OFFENSE we have is atrocious and only half of that falls on the players..a troy williamson drop this time on second down led to us not ending up with a first down at the end of the game..this playcalling on offense has got to change RIGHT AWAY..we dont even try to get into the endzone when we are in the red zone..our redzone trip we went 1st down run for no gain, second down 1 yard to kleinsasser, 3rd down 4 yard pass into a triple covered travis taylor that dropped the ball..when we went to the endzone in the washington game, marcus robinson scored a TD..since then weve only taken one shot at the endzone ..look over every game, 2 shots in the endzone all season long, that is pathetic..this crappy conservative play calling and atrocious offensive coaching is going to lead to more and more losses..the defense keeps us in all these games and gives us the chance to win all these games on 5-6 occasions each game, and we dont capitalize on any of them..pathetic display of coaching on the offensive side of the ball all season long so far, with today being far worse than the first 2 games
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"goldseedlbg" wrote:
    the play calling was horrible on both side of the ball. we need better play from our free agent pick ups(hucth,c taylor). we need cordinators with some b@lls. rex had all day to throw the ball. we need a real pass rushing de. i would trade one or two of our picks for burgess.
    i disagree, mike tomlin is doing an unbelievable job..the problem is that fact that the defense is relied on to make every single stop because the offense is just that pathetic..we should never ever ever ever ever lose when our defense plays as good as it has in all 3 games this season, especially today..today we were dominant defensively, and the offense blew it..shouldve brought in an established offensive co-ordinator rather than a crappy QB coach from a bad system, and convinced childress to lose the big ego thing with calling the plays because he obviously sucks at that..mike tomlin however is the only guy doing his job right on the staff
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I thought we fired the stupid coach last year?

I like everything Childress has done but that, it was an awful call, like John Fox punt return pass bad.

Terrible call, why run on 3rd and 10, and pass deep on 4th and 2?

If we would ahve passed at all it should have been a St Louis Rams quick Torry Holt quick out pass like they do 50% of the time.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    If it would have worked, we would all be licking both Brad's sacs

It didn't go that way.

It was a good game, we just lost in the end.
    Sorry for the double post, but....

Brad has two sacks? Weird.

"Mr" wrote:
    I thought we fired the stupid coach last year?

I like everything Childress has done but that, it was an awful call, like John Fox punt return pass bad.

Terrible call, why run on 3rd and 10, and pass deep on 4th and 2?

If we would ahve passed at all it should have been a St Louis Rams quick Torry Holt quick out pass like they do 50% of the time.
    the guy can be a good head coach, but he should give up his play calling duties..i also think we shouldve gotten a real offensive co-ordinator, and not a guy thats just been standing around hanging out with brett favre the last couple years..im not just saying this now either, ive thought this all along

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah . . . heave a pass to a guy who can't catch, on 4th down.
    Williamson needs to get his vision checked or get a helmet that fits so he can see the ball!
    He's got speed, but speed doesn't matter if you can't catch!
    I hope he shakes this off, but I've been saying it after each game now.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast