COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

What about Rhome and Fazio?

Here are two forgotten guys who were brought out of retirement to help out Loney (I call him Looney) and Cottrell. Especially Looney who didn't have a clue what a passing game was all about. Looney was trying to hold down two jobs and learn on the fly.
    I kinda like these guys. Rhome stayed here one season as the receivers coach. I know Cris Carter really liked him and Rhome helped him a lot. Fazio was the linebackers coach when he started with the Vikes. His last four years he was the defensive coordinator if memory serves me correctly.
    Tice really needed the help and after these guys were brought in, the turnaround started for the Vikes.
    So many of the Vikes problems this season go back to Red's miserable penny pinching ways. Last year Tice only had one year left on his contract so Linehan went elsewhere in the search for security. In truth, Red could have given Linehan a multi-year contract for sizable dollars, with the knowledge that any future head coach hired by the Vikings would be pleased to inherit a dynamic offensive coordinator. But he was too cheap to do that.
    McCombs wasn't sure he was going to complete the sale of this team last winter, when Tice needed a replacement for Linehan. That meant Red was unwilling to spend and $ or make any guarantee to Linehan. He was also to cheap to bring in an experienced coordinator.
    So enter Steve Looney -- totally unqualified for the position but the best you could get for the $ available and of course we all know what a flop he was. And he would have even been a bigger flop without Rhome.
    Rhome provided some stablility to Looney and the troubled offense. And both he and Fazio, I think, provided some stability to Tice in the midst of a terrible start with all the troubles.
    The question now is what happens to Rhome and Fazio? Do they go back into retirement? I would like Wilf to think about keeping them on -- at least for awhile. Their years of experience and knowledge are invaluable to a team in transistion like the Vikes.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: What about Rhome and Fazio?

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The question now is what happens to Rhome and Fazio? Do they go back into retirement? I would like Wilf to think about keeping them on -- at least for awhile. Their years of experience and knowledge are invaluable to a team in transistion like the Vikes.
    I think Rhome is in Italy.

Excuse me, wrong Rhome.

Actually that is a good question but to early to tell. It alldepends on who of our current coaching staff is left after next Monday.

Rhome would be good to keep around for awhile if we need him.

Fazio I believe helped Looney out, so if we get a topnotch offensive coordinator, I don't know what his staus will be.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: What about Rhome and Fazio?

i would like to keep them around.