singersp is offline PPO Newshound

West Coast offense a perfect fit for Taylor

[size=18px]West Coast offense a perfect fit for Taylor[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 07, 2006 – 11:22 PM

MANKATO - A four-year, $14.1 million payday doesn't usually come with a clause requiring patience, especially when $5.6 million of it is guaranteed. Running back Chester Taylor seems to be very aware of this as he makes the adjustment to a new offensive system after four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.
    "Baltimore had nothing like this," said Taylor, who was a backup to Jamal Lewis. "It was totally different. But I'm getting really comfortable with it as far as doing more as a running back. ... Every day I try to get out here and learn more and more."

The West Coast offense requires running backs to be skilled in multiple facets of the game. Picking up blitzing linebackers is crucial and being able to catch the ball out of the backfield is a must.

Taylor showed his receiving ability with Baltimore last season by hauling in a career-high 41 passes, placing him fourth among AFC running backs in receiving. But Taylor said this system takes things to a new level when it comes to the passing game.

"I believe receiving [is the biggest difference] because every offense you go block," he said. "There isn't anything different with that. I believe it's doing more motion out of the backfield and getting the running back involved with the receiving aspect of the game."

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said the ideal mix for Taylor in a game would be to get him more than 20 carries and four or five passes.

"If we're getting him 20 carries, that means we're doing a great job with the run game," Bevell said.

Taylor wasn't able to play much last weekend after suffering a minor groin strain in a joint practice Friday with the Kansas City Chiefs.

He sat out Saturday and was very limited in what he could do Sunday. Taylor's workload increased Monday.

"I'm feeling a lot better," he said. "I went out there [Monday], did a little something. Just taking it easy and getting better every day."

Taylor's misfortune gave backups Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason an opportunity to get longer looks. Fason, a fourth-round pick in 2005, quickly caught Bevell's attention.

"I am surprised with Ciatrick a little bit," he said. "He's done a nice job. He's a tough kid. He's a fighter. The other day he showed a little bit more shake than I thought he had."

Bevell was referring to a move Fason put on Fred Smoot on Saturday that left the cornerback reaching for air.

"Most people have called me a power back but from the Kansas City [practice] and the day when I got Smoot, everybody can see now that I'm really not just a power runner," said Fason, who was used in short-yardage situations last season. "I do whatever it takes to get yards."

Fason might be third on the depth chart but he said Childress has told the running backs that there is no "clear-cut starter" at this point. That's a bit hard to believe considering the Vikings' investment in Taylor, but it certainly would be good news for No. 2 running back Mewelde Moore.

Moore, who started half of the games he played last season and led the Vikings with 662 rushing yards, likes Childress' offense.

"It's nothing different than what I'm always accustomed to," said Moore, whose 37 receptions in 2005 was tops among Vikings running backs. "Being able to use all my tools. That's what I've been doing my entire life. It's nothing new to me."

If Taylor figures to get the majority of the work, however, Moore said he isn't worrying about it.

"As far as all those things, man, coaches make decisions," he said. "We just go out there and play ball. I've been preparing all year with the new offense and just learning how to best put myself in a situation where I could help this team win."

West Coast offense a perfect fit for Taylor

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: West Coast offense a perfect fit for Taylor

I just hope he becomes the running back everyone believes he can become.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

A 20 touch RB? That hasn't happened in a long time.

======================================

Vikings | Taylor to see about 20 carries per game - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:13:45 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has said RB Chester Taylor should receive about 20 carries per game, in addition to about five passes out of the backfield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Taylor has confidence of teammates - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:41:36 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Chester Taylor, who is entering his first year of being a featured back, is earning the confidence of FB Tony Richardson and other teammates. Richardson, who has blocked for Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes, believes Taylor can put up numbers similar to Holmes if he is used effectively. "There's definitely a lot of Priest Holmes in Chester," WR Travis Taylor agreed. "He's a guy who can catch balls out of the backfield, make guys miss, run guys over, make big plays."

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Dang, I hope he can at least give us 80% of what Priest did in KC. I'm confident that Chester will get at least 1K yards this year behind that massive line & T-Rich

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Slade" wrote:
    Dang, I hope he can at least give us 80% of what Priest did in KC. I'm confident that Chester will get at least 1K yards this year behind that massive line & T-Rich
    1000 yards isn't that impressive (62.5 ypg), something like 1500 would be a lot more impressive.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Slade" wrote:
    1000 yards isn't that impressive (62.5 ypg), something like 1500 would be a lot more impressive.
    - Yeah, but we haven't had a 1K RB in awhile. Its a good start & shows that our offense is moving the chains. Keep in mind that Memo & Fason will be carrying the load & with Childress' style, Chester would be catching the ball out of the backfield more than we have done before. Its like Westbrook in Philly