Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

West Coast Offense

There have been nasty rumors that we are going to the West Coast Offense now. What is most likely going to happen is Childress will bring some of his past experience and mix it with the talent he has here and we will get some sort of hybrid scheme.

The only reason there is a fuss about it at all is because people love to categorize things and label things. In reality you will not be seeing a "pure" wco <- from now on that means west coast offense because I'm lazy.

When it first started with the 49ers and Bill Walsh the wco was all about the short to medium pass.

That was pretty self explanitory. Use the short passes to open up the big ones.

Over time the rules of the NFL changed to nurture the pass and the QB. Most teams that are not a true wco are called a wco offense simply because they pass more then they run. In fact over the last few years our team has pretty much been a wco.

Some teams use the wco but look at the progressions differently. Instead of reading the short passes and looking for the bomb later they have started looking for the deep route and if that is not open they check down.

WEST COAST OFFENSE OVERVIEW:
    +Short pass plays replace the running game to control the ball.
    +Bill Walsh originated with the San Francisco 49ers.
    +Long process for QB to pick-up all the reads and adjustments.
    +Release all five receivers into the pattern.
    +QB has progression read up to five receivers.
    +Take what the defensive gives you.
    +Make the defense adjust to you.

Some common formations of the WCO

Notice the I formation is still used.

The run is still utilized as well. In fact it can still be quite effective. Even more so because of defensive adjustments.

I'm not a big fan of the TRUE wco. I think for us it will be one of the best things that can happen to our team. Daunte needs it, we need it. Our team has lacked that rythym for a long time and the hybrid wco will get that back for us. We run it now in a way, but I think it is out of error and not by design. I think Tice and co would try to run then if it didnt work would dink and dunk.

Another possitive is you know how the Vikings get ahead and then try to run the ball to control the clock and go 3 and out in the process. Non issue here.

Just a little information, it's not even known for sure if we are getting it. If we do go to it I assure you it is more of a good thing then a bad thing, and for all you DC fans out there I think you will be impressed on how much better a QB he will be under this type of system.

VikesAllTheWay112642 is offline Training Camp

Re: West Coast Offense

The West Coast Offense will benifit a lot of players. It will benifit all our WRs. Nate is great after the catch, thats what u need in an offense like that. Troy Williamson will suceed a lot with the offense. Koren will benefit because he is also good after the catch. Marcus will be our Red Zone guy and will rap up a lot of TD. Travis Taylor will have success. It will help C-Pepp a lot. He set the NCAA record for completion percentage using this offense. Im excited to see Jimmy K going back to FB. He was a beast at this postion.

All we need is LG and a RB and we should be good.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Could you please explain it in laymans terms. :lol:

Serioursly, thanks for laying it out so nice. Looks alot like what we have been doing all year.
    I.B.O.T. #213

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

I think this type of offense would work good for DC, I'm just not sure to what extent. DC has the ability to do everything he would have to do with this offense. I myself, like the short to medium pass. But don't get me wrong, I like a bomb every once in awhile (hell, sometimes it's needed). But one of DC's favorite formations is the gun, and I don't think he would see alot of that with a WCO.

By the way, great post.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Prophet Guest

Nice post Del. I agree with the label comment, call it whatever you want. They will put the best mix of plays together that fit our players abilities.

Del Rio Guest

"ChezPizmo" wrote:
    I think this type of offense would work good for DC, I'm just not sure to what extent. DC has the ability to do everything he would have to do with this offense. I myself, like the short to medium pass. But don't get me wrong, I like a bomb every once in awhile (hell, sometimes it's needed). But one of DC's favorite formations is the gun, and I don't think he would see alot of that with a WCO.

By the way, great post.
    Nope not a lot of shotgun.

3 step, 5 step, and 8 step drops.

It's hard because you don't want to try and force a guy to be something he is not. I think besides armstrength his one skill that makes him above the competition is his accuracy. He needs to learn when to stay in the pocket.

I honestly think the shotgun was used for two reasons
    1) To set up a QB draw
    2) Because the pressure was too hot.

#2 mostly IMO. I mean for gods sake move Sasser into max pro and block for him, why set him deeper behind the line. It's just not good coaching. If your the defense and you see culpepper in shotgun you know it is a pass, or a draw.

I think he can adjust. He will have to maybe more now then ever.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

Yep its official! Del Rio knows more about football than is good for him! :lol:

Great post man that really helped me understand more indepthly what to look for next year

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

I agree in your analysis Del and it would be a good offense to run as long as they tweak it to suit our needs like you indicated as a hybrid. The only concern I have with this scheme is if Cpep and his knee are not 100% the drop back passing may cause issues with his knee. He will need to be sure of it before he has any sucess,but I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle a bit. I'd like to see a hybrid of the colts offense as they will often use two tight ends and run it from the gun. Payton in the gun can be a run,deep pass,or over the middle and back out of the back field. If you watch the colts they don't blow you away with something fancy or new they just have a good balance of plays that keep a D on its heels. It will be fun to see them this spring at training camp and see what direction they are heading.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Del is the man.. U can count on him for a good analysis

I agree the West Coast is gonna be awesome

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good post Del and helped to clarify some of the points on it. I never expected tht we would run a 'true' WCO as- like everything else in the world - coaches will add their own little tweaks to what Bill Walsh originally designed.
    Thanks for the insight on it though, gives a few pointers as to what we may come to expect
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast