Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

Well, we split the season series

"packmanxxxi" wrote:
    The measurement call was the RIGHT call.. sorry guys... you know it, live with it...
    No, the measurement call was not right. First, bad spot. Second, the ref even apologized to Tice later for it (at least that's what they said on KFAN). However, that being said, the Pack won, and even without that field goal would have scored a TD at the end if needed. So Congratulations Packers . Good game.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

1. It did (you should almost never say NEVER)

2. They wouldn't have scored a TD (alot harder than setting up a FG)

3. Wrong call (read rjk's post above)

Collectively, you three should enjoy the small victory while you can...the Pack is on the way down and this was Favre's last hurrah.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Not gonna argue much...no need, as we won.

But...bad spots were the problems of the day.

On the one replay the Packers called for, where Driver was almost over the goal line, they had spotted it way out on the 1-yard line, when it should have been on the two-inch line.

On the punt in the end zone, the refs blew the call when it should have been downed in the end zone, and instead gave it to the Pack on their own 1 yard line. Yes, the Pack was out of challenges, but if they would have called it right, it shouldn't have needed to be challenged.

On the "controversial call", which I do believe is grasping for victimization, that ball was tucked right up to the first-down marker. If a measurement is requested, regardless of the team, time, or whether or not it is Brett Favre, and the ball is close, it must be honored.

If it is 4th down, the Packers had to throw to the end zone. It it is 1st down, they could spike the ball. Since no official call was made, and there were only 8 seconds left, it was nothing less than appropriate to stop the clock and measure.

Frustrating? You bet. Unfair? Far from.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

No, it was not appropriate for the Refs to call time. The ball was far from a first down, they could have realized that by looking at the hash mark nearest to the ball on the field, and then looking at the hash mark nearest to the first down marker on the sidelines. It was a luck call that wouldn't have happened if that wasn't Brett Favre asking for it. Once again, the Packers win by a horrible call. I wish just once this year the refs would not have handed Favre a win like that. I can't wait for him to retire so the refs can become even sided again. Kinda funny how refs have all this influence in wins that this "big NFL star" is in. It seems almost like they are giving him the benifit of the doubt to keep his star status alive, ya know, for more ratings...hmmmmmmm...
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

scorptile is offline Starter

it was the right call cause it was less then a yard from the first down marker so when asked for a measurment they had to check it....besides wasnt there a sack in the last drive against the pack that the offsides was not called on the vikes cause clearly there was offsides...so what i am getting at is this...with even a sack and a no call offsides against hte vikings the pack overcame the no call and still gained the yards to set up the field goal...if the vikings WR's would've ran on every play and caught the ball that would've been thrown to them the vikes would've won the game...its just the vikes just couldnt win the big game...
    proud fan of the SB XLI champions.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

First, let me congratulate the Packers and their fans for winning the NFC North. It was a great game, a close and hard fought one all the way. As many games in this series do, the end result hinged on one or two plays that could have gone either way.

I give Favre and the Packers credit for calling for the measurement. As I recall, they didn't miss the first down by that much. I could have also easily seen the refs refusing the Packers request for a measurement, stating that the ball was clearly short of the first down and not giving the Packers a free time out.

As poorly as the Vikings defense played on the final drive, I also have little doubt that Favre could have scored a TD to win the game, so the FG at the end of the half was somewhat moot.

The holding call on Matt Birk on the Vikings final drive was key. I think that took away a first down and set up a 1st and 25 that the Vikings couldn't overcome. I still almost wanted Tice to go for it on 4th and 5, because I knew that putting the ball back in Favre's hands with two timeouts and only needing a FG to win would be dangerous.

Given the defensive shortcomings of both teams, it was still a fabulous game and Viking fans should not hang their heads in shame, nor should Packer fans crow too loudly (though some crowing is called for). It isn't likely to happen now, but I'd love to see a rematch in Lambeau before this season is out.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Valhalladeath is offline Training Camp

Call for measurement

I have no beef with the call for measurement, it is their right to get that done. The problem is letting them bring an entirely different unit onto the field while it was being done. If they wouldn't have had the time to do it before, they shouldn't be able to do it then. It wasn't a time out, it was a measurement. If there isn't a rule against this type of abuse, there should be. :angryfire:

Had to vent, lol, I am still pretty riled up about that! By the way, hello to everybody, this is my first official post, although I have been lurking for a while. Look forward to posting even more from here on out.

gang_green is offline Training Camp

Seriously, you have got to be kidding me....now, you're trying to blame a loss on a measurement at the end of the first half. I seriously think Vikings fans believe they have never legitimately lost a game in franchise history. Get over yourselves....there's no nfl referee conspiracy which favors Green Bay over Minnesota

Take a look at the play in question....when the play was over, there were still 20 seconds left on the clock. The result of the play was one of two things..... a fourth down or a first down.

If it's called a fourth down immediately, 20 seconds is plenty of time to get your field goal unit out to set up a kick. If it's called first down immediately, Favre spikes the ball and there's plenty of time to set up the kick.

What happened? The referees didn't know whether it was a first down (which is understandable, since the Packers were short by less than the length of the football), so they let 13 seconds run off the clock and decided to measure which they HAD to do....the NFL rulebook doesn't get thrown out the window at the end of halves/games.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Where have you been hiding, dipshit?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Personally I don't think you should be able to substitute players on a measurement, especially when you have no timeouts left.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast