Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,576

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Lets hope he keeps his pants on
    We're bringing purple back.

  2. #12
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087880
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1087879
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087878
    I like the hire. When is Patrick Willis' contract up ?
    never ever
    Sorry, I was having fantasies again. A little research shows you are right. Oh well!
    haha. Too bad we couldn't get in on the USC LB's when they were draftable. One of them, Chad and Willis would be a dirty LB corps.

  3. #13
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Looking forward to see what he has the LBs doing, hopefully they will be a little more aggressive and get after the QB some more. Putting him, Frazier and Pagac together for planning the D will be interesting.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  4. #14
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1087876
    Quote Originally Posted by "DiehardVikesFan" #1087870
    Love it. He ran the 34 in San Fran and Baltimore and obviously ran the 46 defense with the Bears. Baltimore also used the 46 some when he and Rex where there so I'd like to see if maybe he can help get a little creative with the defense.
    That is what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind moving into a 34, although I don't know if Kevin Williams would be all that thrilled to switch.

    EDIT - To add to that... even though he is the LB coach, I honestly see this as the first step in moving into a 34, as they are key to the scheme. I wonder if we would take one of our good pass rushers like Robison and move him into a LB position to fit the 34.
    A 3-technique DT and a 3-4 DE aren't all that different honestly. I don't think Williams would have a problem with switching.

  5. #15
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087887
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1087876
    Quote Originally Posted by "DiehardVikesFan" #1087870
    Love it. He ran the 34 in San Fran and Baltimore and obviously ran the 46 defense with the Bears. Baltimore also used the 46 some when he and Rex where there so I'd like to see if maybe he can help get a little creative with the defense.
    That is what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind moving into a 34, although I don't know if Kevin Williams would be all that thrilled to switch.

    EDIT - To add to that... even though he is the LB coach, I honestly see this as the first step in moving into a 34, as they are key to the scheme. I wonder if we would take one of our good pass rushers like Robison and move him into a LB position to fit the 34.
    A 3-technique DT and a 3-4 DE aren't all that different honestly. I don't think Williams would have a problem with switching.
    We played some 3-4 in either his rookie or 2nd season, and he said he hated it and never wanted to do it again, he was a DE in the scheme.

    Having said that, it was quite a few years ago, and maybe his mind will change with time.

  6. #16
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1087888
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1087887
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1087876
    Quote Originally Posted by "DiehardVikesFan" #1087870
    Love it. He ran the 34 in San Fran and Baltimore and obviously ran the 46 defense with the Bears. Baltimore also used the 46 some when he and Rex where there so I'd like to see if maybe he can help get a little creative with the defense.
    That is what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind moving into a 34, although I don't know if Kevin Williams would be all that thrilled to switch.

    EDIT - To add to that... even though he is the LB coach, I honestly see this as the first step in moving into a 34, as they are key to the scheme. I wonder if we would take one of our good pass rushers like Robison and move him into a LB position to fit the 34.
    A 3-technique DT and a 3-4 DE aren't all that different honestly. I don't think Williams would have a problem with switching.
    We played some 3-4 in either his rookie or 2nd season, and he said he hated it and never wanted to do it again, he was a DE in the scheme.

    Having said that, it was quite a few years ago, and maybe his mind will change with time.
    I don't remember that. Thanks.

    I can't see why he hated it so much. Richard Seymour seemed to have no issue going from 3-4 DE to 4-3 DT this year. Could be the way we were playing 3-4, if we were always bringing 3 I could see him hating it. Maybe it's a personal preference. Or maybe it's just a lot deeper than I understand. But from my knowledge, they're pretty similar positions and I think he certainly has the skillset to play both.

  7. #17
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,815

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1087864
    Nice, assistant head coach. Not sure what it means other than the Wilfs are still willing to spend money(I assume assistant head coaches make more than linebacker coaches).
    My take on assistant head coach label is mostly to justify paying him similar to a higher position coach like defensive coordinator.

    I think it's a good hire, like his intensity and love for the game. I was surprised that he is being brought in as LB coach under Pagac. Leslie should have a loyal defensive coaching staff nonetheless.

  8. #18
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,228

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1087891
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1087864
    Nice, assistant head coach. Not sure what it means other than the Wilfs are still willing to spend money(I assume assistant head coaches make more than linebacker coaches).
    My take on assistant head coach label is mostly to justify paying him similar to a higher position coach like defensive coordinator.

    I think it's a good hire, like his intensity and love for the game. I was surprised that he is being brought in as LB coach under Pagac. Leslie should have a loyal defensive coaching staff nonetheless.
    I love what our defense could be next season.

    I think the last few of the games Frazier started doing a lot of things different to feel out what he has. It seemed clear that he would prefer to bring more pressure than Childress ok'd in the past.

    I think between all the different schemes and systems that these guys have run, there should be a lot of creativity and we could see something special on the defensive side of the ball.

    On a side note ... I didn't realize that Frazier was an elite CB until his career was shortened by injury. I would hope he can offer something to our CBs to make them perform a little better in whatever scheme we end up in.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    951

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    "I Like this kinda Party!"

    I think that this is a good hire and we will see an improvement in the defense next year.

  10. #20
    rednorsk is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    124

    Re: Welcome Mike Singletary!

    :cheer: I agree, a great hire. Now we just need to keep Greenway!!
    None

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Mike Singletary interview
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
  2. Mike Singletary to interview for Vikings LBs job
    By MulletMullitia in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM
  3. Mike Singletary: The Whole Story
    By Billy Boy in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
  4. Will Mike Singletary Be an NFL Head Coach?
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 02:15 PM
  5. Matt Millen, Mike Brown, Mike Lombardi: Worst GMs in Sports
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •