COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Weighty problem for Williams

[size=18px]Weighty problem for Williams[/size]
    Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/586903.html
    MANKATO - The Vikings placed nose tackle Pat Williams on the physically unable to perform list Monday, apparently concerned about his weight and conditioning levels on the first day of full-squad workouts.

Coach Brad Childress said Williams reported Sunday heavier than his prescribed weight and also indicated Williams did not pass Monday morning's conditioning test. Childress said Williams is "within pounds" of his prescribed weight but that he wanted "to make sure [Williams] is not a harm to himself." Williams was listed at 317 pounds in last year's media guide.

"He's as disappointed as I am," Childress said. "[But] you've got to make that call, and he's going to have to spend some time here and pull it back together."

Williams, 33, was one of the Vikings' top defensive players last season, compiling 66 tackles. But Childress has been harping on conditioning and weight levels since taking the Vikings job in January, and Williams was among the players he targeted.

Childress said Williams did a "great job" during the spring strength and conditioning program, losing 14 or 15 pounds. Since then, however, Williams' weight "got away from him," Childress said.

Williams declined comment after Monday's practice. Childress would not speculate on how long Williams will be on the P.U.P list, which prohibits him from practicing with the team. But Childress did say that "you're not going to change any cardio in three days."

As for Williams' weight, Childress said the team will hold off on activating him until he reaches his prescribed weight and maintains it for a period of time.

During team drills Monday, veteran free agent Ross Kolodziej worked at nose tackle with the first team.

Etc.

• Receiver Koren Robinson said Monday he was pleased with his offseason decision to take classes in an effort to maintain his sobriety. "There's no distraction from me anywhere," he said. "I've got to do what I've got to do to better myself as a person, as a father, husband, brother, all that -- as a teammate. I just had to take some time for myself to get right. That's all pretty much. I don't want anybody to get worried about Koren or anything like that. Koren is good, this is the best Koren right now. I'm going to have fun, joke around, and come out here and make plays."

• The Vikings' conditioning test Monday morning included 16 half-gassers (goal line to the 50-yard line and back). The Vikings had a similar drill after their May minicamp but this time players had to complete each one in 19 seconds instead of 20. "It was pretty intense but the guys responded well," fullback Tony Richardson said.

• Receiver Billy McMullen, obtained from Philadelphia in an offseason trade, changed his jersey number from 84 to 12. McMullen said he prefers wearing a number in the teens. McMullen also would have been the first Viking to wear 84 since receiver Randy Moss was dealt to Oakland. "It's something you don't need," McMullen said of the possible distraction.

• Napoleon Harris worked with the first team at middle linebacker, playing between E.J. Henderson and Ben Leber. Dontarrious Thomas was with the second unit. At safety, Tank Williams and Dwight Smith both saw time with the first team opposite Darren Sharper.

• Defensive lineman Manase Hopoi did not practice because of a swollen foot.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Weighty problem for Williams

• The Vikings' conditioning test Monday morning included 16 half-gassers (goal line to the 50-yard line and back). The Vikings had a similar drill after their May minicamp but this time players had to complete each one in 19 seconds instead of 20. "It was pretty intense but the guys responded well," fullback Tony Richardson said.
    no wonder Pat didn't make it..... thats a lot of work for a guy his size

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    no wonder Pat didn't make it..... thats a lot of work for a guy his size
    I 'spose he is a larger fellow. How much does he weigh?

16 times 50 is 800, and that's down and back so times 2 again, 1600 yards... we actually do roughly that much aday in football camp, except we do ladders (to the 10, back, 20 back, up to 100, and then back down) and suicides (same thing, but you don't come back down). we're not timed though.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Already Posted in your own thread discussing Pat :wink:

It's from last night and in the Trib. No way that one slides until tonight.