V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Week 5 Vikings vs. Saints

Here is a recap after rewatching the game via NFL Replay.

A crazy game for sure.
    - Our defense got ripped apart by the Saints, but somehow kept points off the baord. Lots of turnovers.
    - Brees was simply awesome against us, despite not having Shockey or Colston.
    - The Saints gameplanned to pass a lot, but had some marginal success when runnign wide, as the Titans did.
    - ST was truly horrid. Not just the Bush TDs, but even in the first half we let up a lot of long returns that gave a great offense great field position. Unacceptable.
    - OL play was hard to judge. Against the run they sucked. The Saints D was simply quick to the ball carrier. Tahi had a miserable game. Against the pass the Saints chose not to respect our WRs at all a frequently brought the house.
    - Peterson was hit in the backfield early and often and never could get going. He dropped one pass and our screens didn't work. Coaching issue: Calling a middle screen out of a two TE I-formation is stupid.
    - Gus did well but not great. There were some drops and also some nice catches. I saw some very well thrown balls. He stood in the pocket and took a couple big hits to make the play. The type of smart, gutsy QB play that this team needs consistently.
    - During our first redzone possession, our first play was a draw out of the shotgun to CT. Our second play was a toss to AD. Our fourth play was a RB pass to Shank for the TD. We scored, but I hated the playcalling.
    - Very solid game from the WRs. Berrian was great and Shank was solid. Wade caught 8 balls. The type of game these guys had to have for us to win as NO committed everything to the run. interesting that Rice was hurt and barely a peep was heard from Allison.
    - Defensively, what can you do when a guy like Brees is on? We had trouble getting pressure until we gained the lead and then we saw some hits on the QB. Brees was great at stepping up in the pocket, or finding his guy quickly, or moving the LB in coverage with his eyes.
    - Tough game for the guys covering the middle of the field (both safeties and MLB).

Does anyone remember:
    ? How big Winny's TD was. It might have been the turning point of the entire season.
    ? Winny's second TO. A blindside sack and fumble and fumble recovery.
    ? NO tried an onsides kick in the middle of the first half, but Garrett Mills stayed home and recovered it. Very heads up play by him.
    ? How angy Saints fans were at the refs. A missed facemask call that resulted in a fumble and our ball.
    ? Wrong routes were run on Berrian's TD to tie the game.

The Saints reminded me a lot of ourselves.

I can't wait till the next one. This was a fun game to watch.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Week 5 Vikings vs. Saints

I am guessing Allison ran the wrong route on that play.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

What facemask?

[img width=450 height=278]http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vikingssaints.JPG[/img]
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    Here is a recap after rewatching the game via NFL Replay.

A crazy game for sure.
    - Our defense got ripped apart by the Saints, but somehow kept points off the baord. Lots of turnovers.
    - Brees was simply awesome against us, despite not having Shockey or Colston.
    - The Saints gameplanned to pass a lot, but had some marginal success when runnign wide, as the Titans did.
    - ST was truly horrid. Not just the Bush TDs, but even in the first half we let up a lot of long returns that gave a great offense great field position. Unacceptable.
    - OL play was hard to judge. Against the run they sucked. The Saints D was simply quick to the ball carrier. Tahi had a miserable game. Against the pass the Saints chose not to respect our WRs at all a frequently brought the house.
    - Peterson was hit in the backfield early and often and never could get going. He dropped one pass and our screens didn't work. Coaching issue: Calling a middle screen out of a two TE I-formation is stupid.
    - Gus did well but not great. There were some drops and also some nice catches. I saw some very well thrown balls. He stood in the pocket and took a couple big hits to make the play. The type of smart, gutsy QB play that this team needs consistently.
    - During our first redzone possession, our first play was a draw out of the shotgun to CT. Our second play was a toss to AD. Our fourth play was a RB pass to Shank for the TD. We scored, but I hated the playcalling.
    - Very solid game from the WRs. Berrian was great and Shank was solid. Wade caught 8 balls. The type of game these guys had to have for us to win as NO committed everything to the run. interesting that Rice was hurt and barely a peep was heard from Allison.
    - Defensively, what can you do when a guy like Brees is on? We had trouble getting pressure until we gained the lead and then we saw some hits on the QB. Brees was great at stepping up in the pocket, or finding his guy quickly, or moving the LB in coverage with his eyes.
    - Tough game for the guys covering the middle of the field (both safeties and MLB).

Does anyone remember:
    ? How big Winny's TD was. It might have been the turning point of the entire season.
    ? Winny's second TO. A blindside sack and fumble and fumble recovery.
    ? NO tried an onsides kick in the middle of the first half, but Garrett Mills stayed home and recovered it. Very heads up play by him.
    ? How angy Saints fans were at the refs. A missed facemask call that resulted in a fumble and our ball.
    ? Wrong routes were run on Berrian's TD to tie the game.

The Saints reminded me a lot of ourselves.

I can't wait till the next one. This was a fun game to watch.
    ahh.. I remember that game, I broke a jar of peanuts by throwing it at a door after the second punt return for a TD.