Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Week 2: Vikings vs. Dolphins

Marrdro wrote:
    V-Unit wrote:
    Again, a good playcaller is influenced not only the strengths of his team, but also by what is working, and what isn't working.

-V-
    Would you also agree that a good "Playcaller" would give his QB the lattitude to audible out of those plays based on what he is seeing pre-snap?
    A OC's trust in his QB has nothing to do with his ability to call plays.

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

MaxVike wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    MaxVike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    V-Unit wrote:
    Again, a good playcaller is influenced not only the strengths of his team, but also by what is working, and what isn't working.

-V-
    Would you also agree that a good "Playcaller" would give his QB the lattitude to audible out of those plays based on what he is seeing pre-snap?
    I would agree with that. Unfortunately we don't have a good playcaller.
    I am really on the fence with both of our Coordinators, but I think Bevs has proven that he can call a good game.

Truth of the matter is, at least for me, I think we will find out soon enough as I've heard his name used in conjuction with Head Coaching Candidates already this year.
    I tend to agree with Ross Tucker's assessment re: fans and the media bitching about play calling. Today, on Sirius NFL Radio, a fan of the Chargers called in, complaining about the Chargers last drive and the play calling. Recall, they were at Arrowhead, in the rain. The caller complained that the Chargers should have been running the ball with their big running backs, Tolbert and Matthews. Tucker and Bob Papa pointed out that, "the wide receivers and the QB have the advantage in the rain and the running game suffers because of traction. Plus, the offensive WR or RB knows where they are going." Caller was unrelenting and would not move off his point, even though he was arguing with men who analyze, comment, and, have played. Tucker's best counterpoint (which, was made politely IMO), was, hey, Mr Caller, who is the Charger's best player? To which, the caller replied, "Rivers and/or Gates." Tucker said, "well, you just answered your question."

Point is, we fans, have the right to question the plays, however, let's be real folks, we are not down there, battling. Some plays that we never think would work, do, others that we think should work, don't. Certainly understandable, however, let's admit this, we are not qualified...otherwise, that's what we would be doing. With that, we still have the right...that's our job as fans, and damnit, we care. Oh no, I'm not holier than thou in this regard, I criticize and am dumbfounded quite often too, just sayin' we should exhibit some sort of appreciation for the complexity.
    If someone asked you who our best player is, what would you say? I would say Peterson. If you believe it is Favre, then ask yourself this. Who is playing the best right now?

I think it's so dumb how I see all these quotes from Bevell or Chilly talking about how we were behind. IT WAS ONE FREAKING TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!! WE HAD THE WHOLE FOURTH QUARTER TO PLAY!!!
    Oh, good grief.........Tucker went on to say, "I love what the Chiefs did, they double and triple teamed the Charger's best player, Gates."

Our best offensive player at this point is Adrian Peterson, this is my opinion, which, to my point, is irrelevant. Middle of the year, could be Favre, or Harvin, who knows?.....wait, that's the point, the COACHes know, we don't. Which, applies to playcalling...that's my point here.

Also, back to the thread Title...Playcalling has nothing to do with faith in allowing your QB to override the play called. Zip, zilch, nada...it has to do with faith in the QB himself, and his ability to diagnose defenses real-time, on the field, in the here and now. THAT is not on the "play caller," it is on the Head Coach.............period.
    You do realize the saints hadn't done anything up to that point to stop Peterson?
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

MaxVike wrote:
    Point is, we fans, have the right to question the plays, however, let's be real folks, we are not down there, battling. Some plays that we never think would work, do, others that we think should work, don't. Certainly understandable, however, let's admit this, we are not qualified...otherwise, that's what we would be doing. With that, we still have the right...that's our job as fans, and damnit, we care. Oh no, I'm not holier than thou in this regard, I criticize and am dumbfounded quite often too, just sayin' we should exhibit some sort of appreciation for the complexity.
    +1

Great point, MV.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

alen1 is offline Waterboy

Hey all, how's it going? I'm a Dolphins fan that stumbled on this site as I was googling Vikings message boards to discuss the game. Seems like a great site and knowledgeable members. To make it short, I think the Vikings will win this game but I do think that the Dolphins will have opportunities to take advantage of some weaknesses I think you guys have. I'll go further into that, as I'm working on a writeup on the game that I'll post tomorrow. In the meantime, what do you guys think about the Dolphins?
    None

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

alen1 wrote:
    Hey all, how's it going? I'm a Dolphins fan that stumbled on this site as I was googling Vikings message boards to discuss the game. Seems like a great site and knowledgeable members. To make it short, I think the Vikings will win this game but I do think that the Dolphins will have opportunities to take advantage of some weaknesses I think you guys have. I'll go further into that, as I'm working on a writeup on the game that I'll post tomorrow. In the meantime, what do you guys think about the Dolphins?
    If you want to read through this thread you will see lots of opinions on the dolphins, but I think the general consensus is that we will win this game in a tough, hard fought match up. I think the first couple pages have a lot of people's opinions, right before everyone got distracted. That tends to happen here... a lot.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Ski_Money is offline Waterboy

Like I said, it all depends on which Vikings team shows up. Play like you did last week and half your Offense will be on IR before halftime, starting with Uncle Fluffy.

Don't think we won't find a way to run either. The Ricky & Ronnie Express has powered through constant 8-9 man fronts from some very good defenses (Jets for one). We will run, no doubt.

Anywho, I'll be back after the game to take my thrashings, or give them. One way or another, see ya Sunday.

P.S. Nice site!

FinzFury is offline Waterboy

Vikes can't touch us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJvTWmUYTII :laugh:
    None

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

FinzFury wrote:
    Vikes can't touch us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJvTWmUYTII :laugh:

Dolphins like MC Hammer? That's good because on Sunday they get HAMMERED.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

I saw on a couple of sites that say that the "46 outside blitz" blows up a wildcat offense with negative yardage. Hoping we use this on a few plays.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

vike_mike wrote:
    I saw on a couple of sites that say that the "46 outside blitz" blows up a wildcat offense with negative yardage. Hoping we use this on a few plays.
    The wildcat has never worked against the Vikings. I have a feeling we won't see very much Wildcat in this game.
    Henne is coming along and Marshall is a big threat against our secondary.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast