Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Week 2 Vikings vs. Colts

"V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    And Shiancoe's dropped TD on a good throw that would've made the Colts comeback much harder.
    See it's this mentality that pisses me off. Sure Shank had that drop, but we blew tons of other chances that game.
    - Longwell's missed FG
    - A complete stall after getting the ball at the 50.
    - 2-13 on 3rd downs, 12 of which were passing plays
    - Average starting position of our own 43 in the first quarter, which only yielded 6 points due to TJ's cold start.
    - We only got into the Indy redzone once and went 3 and out both times.

We lost that game because of a lack of ability to throw the ball throughout the entire game, not one play.
    How about the one were the line blocked perfectly, TJ rolled out, had no one in his face, and there was no reciever there as a candidate?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    And Shiancoe's dropped TD on a good throw that would've made the Colts comeback much harder.
    See it's this mentality that pisses me off. Sure Shank had that drop, but we blew tons of other chances that game.
    - Longwell's missed FG
    - Average starting position of our own 43 in the first quarter, which only yielded 6 points due to TJ's cold start.

We lost that game because of a lack of ability to throw the ball throughout the entire game, not one play.
    How about the one were the line blocked perfectly, TJ rolled out, had no one in his face, and there was no reciever there as a candidate?
    I put that one on the coaches. I don't think it was a bootleg pass. I think it was a designed run for TJ, but he couldn't beat the DB to the edge. It was a playcall that didn't work.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    - Longwell's missed FG

I put that one on the coaches. I don't think it was a bootleg pass. I think it was a designed run for TJ, but he couldn't beat the DB to the edge. It was a playcall that didn't work.
    I guess I could buy that.
    Problem for me is if it was a designed run, were were our WR's out there blocking?

Lets not forget, our WRs are heralded for thier blocking abilities.
    When you and I were watching it, I think I was asking you were are the recievers as he was rolling out wasn't I?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

MAN!!
    Was it fun to re-watch that game yesterday!!?!!
    8)
    Drinking beer on a Sunday watching football...mmm, hmm, that's what its all about!!
    SKOL!!

Although, it was a heart-wrenching loss, it inspired me for our potential next season.
    We kicked ass against a very good team with a very good coach (and obviously, a very good QB) for 3.69 quarters.
    If not for some seriously ridiculously lucky plays by the colts, we would have won.
    Our defense was stifling, our running game punishing, and our passing game, well, very hit and miss.
    The 2-minute drill to end the first half was clean, efficient and impressive.
    There were some beautiful slants and a great catch by Shank running up the seem.
    Then, there were some that were so far off you had to wonder WTF went wrong!??

Rice got hurt and Allison came in to add 21 and 16 yard receptions (on one he looked like a Maclin or Harvin type guy).
    He also had a nice return to set us up midfield...and, a stupid move not downing a ball on STs.
    On one of the really errant throws, it seemed obvious Rice and Tjack were not on the same page.
    I've got to think that our crop of young WRs and their learning curves have been holding back the playcalling and execution at least as much as our QBs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Thats a game I would have liked to rewatch, I've already seem it more then once but still...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    - Longwell's missed FG

Problem for me is if it was a designed run, were were our WR's out there blocking?

When you and I were watching it, I think I was asking you were are the recievers as he was rolling out wasn't I?
    I think I have to agree with Marty on that one.
    I didn't see any WR in any type of position to block like they would have been on a called bootleg.
    I think in that case our WRs simply didn't get open, which was silly I think we had at least one if not two WRs in single coverage.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Thats a game I would have liked to rewatch, I've already seem it more then once but still...
    I actually watched it twice yesterday.....

Wildwomans Bingo day.
    When she left I was watching it.
    When she came back I was watching.....Talk about some eye rolling...... : ;D ;D ;D ;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    - Longwell's missed FG

Having played WR in a run-heavy offense in high school, this one is easy. On run plays, we were instructed to mimick our pass play routes before blocking downfield. The only difference between our runnning and passing plays was who got the ball. Design-wise, and pre/post-snap backfield motion-wisem they look the same. That is the key to the Wing-T offense.

Again, it was a misdirection play. Given that, I would think the WRs either:
    A. Ran Slants away from TJ to pull DBs with them.
    B. Ran Streaks to pull DBs with them.
    C. Ran downfield to block the safeties.
    D. Were lined up on the other side of the field to pull defensive personnel away from the point of attack.

If you are suggesting a WR should have been blocking the CB who made the tackle, I disagree because the play was designed to leave that guy free and catch him biting on the play-fake. That CB did a great job of recovering and making the tackle.

You are right, this is the play you were asking me about. Given our WRs strength in blocking, you again would have to put that on our coaches, who tried to use them as decoys rather than blockers.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=Tad7 link=topic=51004.msg922738#msg922738 date=1237173700]
    - Longwell's missed FG

Having played WR in a run-heavy offense in high school, this one is easy. On run plays, we were instructed to mimick our pass play routes before blocking downfield. The only difference between our runnning and passing plays was who got the ball. Design-wise, and pre/post-snap backfield motion-wisem they look the same. That is the key to the Wing-T offense.

D. Were lined up on the other side of the field to pull defensive personnel away from the point of attack.

If you are suggesting a WR should have been blocking the CB who made the tackle, I disagree because the play was designed to leave that guy free and catch him biting on the play-fake. That CB did a great job of recovering and making the tackle.

You are right, this is the play you were asking me about. Given our WRs strength in blocking, you again would have to put that on our coaches, who tried to use them as decoys rather than blockers.
    [/quote]
    All good points and probably what happened, however, if memory serves there were still 3 guys out there for 1 guy (TJ).
    Someone didn't fake someone out is my guess.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=51004.msg922792#msg922792 date=1237210556]
    [quote author=Tad7 link=topic=51004.msg922738#msg922738 date=1237173700]
    - Longwell's missed FG

[/quote]
    All good points and probably what happened, however, if memory serves there were still 3 guys out there for 1 guy (TJ).
    Someone didn't fake someone out is my guess.
    [/quote]

I am looking at the play right now:
    D&D: 3rd and 4
    Formation: Two TE with Wade split out to the right. AD is the lone back 8 yards deep in the backfield. Tahi is lined up as an H-Back on the left side before motioning accross to the right.

Looking back, we lost on the motion. We hoped for man coverage on Tahi, which would have made the D shift to the right when he went into motion. They didn't budge. We now have a Two TE set with an H-Back and WR both lined up to the right. The Colts have 8, including the weakside DB (#23) in the box.

Play: TJ fakes the run to AD before peeling off to the left. Again, no WRs on that side. Colts #23 bites on the run but recovers quickly. TJ tries to cutback inside of him and gets stopped by the strong side DE, who beat Shank off of the right side and came all the way around to finish the play.

Like I said before, the goal of the play is to catch #23 inside and have TJ beat him to the edge. The DE never gets TJ if the DB doesn't force him back inside. No LBs were in the picture. They committed to the run-fake and Wade. #23 simply did a great job on that play.

Recap
    Wade: Lined up wide right. Ran to his man's outside shoulder.
    Shank: Lined up at right TE. Got beat around the edge of the play's weak side. (A fine job as his goal is to not let his man inside of him. If the DE wants the outside rush take him that way.
    Tahi: Left H-Back then motions right. Runs straight ahead.
    AD: Single Back. Fakes Dive.
    Sauce: Lines up at left TE. He fakes the run block, blocking the down lineman.

Two more things:
    Someone, maybe Wade, ran a deep post because the Safety was reluctant to come up for run support.
    It may have been up to Sauce to block #23. He seemed pretty committed to the run fake though.

I think we just got beat on the playcall.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast