Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Week 2 Vikings vs. Colts

Here is another recap after rewatching the game via NFL Replay.

It's amazing how good we are in the run game and how bad we are in the passing game.
    - Our defense again had a great day, save for a couple of plays (Manning-Gonzalez-Wayne big play, Wayne TD).
    - Gonzales schooled Griffin all day. A real stinker of a game for him.
    - Our run D is awesome. I still wouldn't change a thing about our D.
    - ST problems could still be seen. Not as bad as usual though. Solid coverage (one bad return near the end), Good return by Allison, and Longwell was money. His one miss did hurt though.
    - TJ made absolutely zero plays until the two-minute drill at the end of the half. Two nice throws on that drive. He was better in this game but still couldn't make the plays needed to win. I think we were 2-13 on 3rd downs.
    - Peterson again was a horse, but in the end Indy focused on our running game and we couldn't make enough plays through the air.
    - TJ had a miserable first half. His accuracy was average. He missed Berrian low (Berrian should have caught it but still a poor throw) once and behind another time. There were some throws to absolutely no one. One deep ball to Rice was just out of bounds and another to Berrian was underthrown. He was unable to do much with anything that wasn't a slant or a bootleg. I guess we need the guy to start converting when the D knows the pass is coming.
    - The OL wasn't great but they played well enough to win, IMO of course.
    - I questioned our WRs in this game. Very little seperation from any of them on slants and deep routes. They also didn't make the big plays to help Jackson out. Obviously everybody harps on the Shank drop.
    - On another note our OL blocking was damn good. I thought the OL put together a good game, especially with Hicks and Cook both starting. Tahi did a great job of lead blocking for AD in this game.
    - I again didn't see Tyrell do anything that convinced me he is good enough to start. That was 6 months ago though so maybe things have changed.

Does anyone remember:
    ? We saw a lot of Garret Mills again. He looked like a great blocker in this one.
    ? Indy forced a TJ fumble that led to no points. We forced a Manning INT that led to no points. Both were missed FGs
    ? TJ went cold (3-7) then hot (8-9) then cold again (3-8).

Postgame quote from Dungy "We knew that they would either give the ball to Peterson or run some type of playaction..."

Our Week 3 game against the Panthers wasn't exciting enough to make the TV Schedule, but I specifically remember Gus making some great throws, including a deep connection with Berrian (finally) and of course Winfield having a primetime game. Our D was again great.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Week 2 Vikings vs. Colts

And Shiancoe's dropped TD on a good throw that would've made the Colts comeback much harder.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"V" wrote:

Postgame quote from Dungy "We knew that they would either give the ball to Peterson or run some type of playaction..."
    And there's your predictability way back in week 2. Which of the two were predominantly run when AD was in there? Which of the two were predominantly run when CT was in there?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I was so drunk at that game, but somehow hung out downtown until 11:30pm when I left Deja Vu.

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

And there's your predictability way back in week 2. Which of the two were predominantly run when AD was in there? Which of the two were predominantly run when CT was in there?
    It actually wasn't as obvious as you think. A lot of the playaction bootlegs happenned with AD in the backfield. We would fake a cutback play and Tahi would rollout with TJ into the flat, with a TE downfield as well. Most of the passing plays featuring CT would just have CT run and chip guy, no ball fake, before continuing on his route. The main point though is that we were repeatedly running those runs and bootlegs because TJ was almost completely ineffective doing anything else.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"Tad7" wrote:
    And Shiancoe's dropped TD on a good throw that would've made the Colts comeback much harder.
    See it's this mentality that pisses me off. Sure Shank had that drop, but we blew tons of other chances that game.

- Longwell's missed FG
    - A complete stall after getting the ball at the 50.
    - 2-13 on 3rd downs, 12 of which were passing plays
    - Average starting position of our own 43 in the first quarter, which only yielded 6 points due to TJ's cold start.
    - We only got into the Indy redzone once and went 3 and out both times.

We lost that game because of a lack of ability to throw the ball throughout the entire game, not one play.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    See it's this mentality that pisses me off. Sure Shank had that drop, but we blew tons of other chances that game.

- Longwell's missed FG
    - Average starting position of our own 43 in the first quarter, which only yielded 6 points due to TJ's cold start.

We lost that game because of a lack of ability to throw the ball throughout the entire game, not one play.
    True..I'm not denying the throwing game sucked for 4 quarters but you pointed out a bunch of other negatives so I added one that would've made a difference as well.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:

- Longwell's missed FG

It's just Tad being himself, trying to find any reason he can to put the blame on anyone besides Tavaris Jackson lol.

There's no way in hell we should have lost that game, I was heated!

I know this might be obvious to many of you, but once we a good QB, most (not all) of those drives that ended up in three points, will end up in seven.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

"Tad7" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:

- Longwell's missed FG

True..I'm not denying the throwing game sucked for 4 quarters but you pointed out a bunch of other negatives so I added one that would've made a difference as well.
    I mentioned the Shank drop in the original post....seemed to me that you went out of your way to point that one out....
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Didn't see it the first time I read through it...I went to my second read though and it was wide open.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast