Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Webb or TJ??? What Does Frazier Do?

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083625
    Don't have to.

He's got to be an improvement over what we've had in play,
    Again, why?

in College he has 32 receptions for 471 yards and 4 TD's. In Low-level College ball. That's not very impressive.

I fail to see how you think he would make a decent receiver in the NFL?

He was drafted as an athlete, with the intention of playing WR. They decided he would be better at QB than WR. I'd imagine the coaches know alot more than you do about how a player is better suited. THey see him every day, you don't. Unless of course there is something you're not telling us.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083622
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1083617
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083603
    Questions:

What is Webb's role?

Why do we say Webb is not ready?

If we draft a top quality QB, will he be more ready than Webb?
    Webbs role is to learn everything he can learn and try to be as ready as he can be if his number is called, ala last night.

The guys drafted at the top of last years draft class aren't ready and a few of them have not only practiced with the ones, they've actually played against the other teams one's and they still aren't ready. No way Joe is ready. Last time he probably took a snap was with the PS and that probably wasn't at full speed.
    You think so? Remember, Favre wasn't practicing at all this week. I'm betting Webb had some reps with at least the second team.
    Your probably right. He probaby got as many reps as TJ would have got if the Noodle was practicing.

Now that you think about it, maybe he has been getting a few extra reps, but again, they are in practice and not actually live reps.

I like to think that a kid who has 1 year of NFL coaching is better than any kid drafted and thrown to the wolves the first year. I am starting to change my opinion on that. That is mostly based on watching the cats out there that get continued reps as the starter, regardless of how bad they play, seem to mature a bit faster.
    Depends on the guy I think. It takes the right mindset and the ability to improve. Guys like Peyton manning, or Matt Ryan, joe Flacco, etc. they all started right away. Manning had a brutal season, but he had a brutal team. Ryan and Flacco made mistakes, but they both fought through, and are better for it.

however, some guys you can't do that with. I think TJ is one of those guys. Webb might, or might not as well, we have no idea.
    Ryan had a drop off last year. Flacco still has his issues. Listening to the commentators last night was very interesting as they talked about how they've tried to expand his role. Sanchez, the one I like to watch of late, seems to be regressing instead of progressing. My guess its because of his HC. Seems he is gonna take a more active role in the Sanchize project. LOL.

In the end, there is no cookie cutter, but I think you can only say that the ones who have had any success are the guys taken at the top of the draft, with a couple of exceptions....ala Rodgers/Flacco with Rodgers really the only true QB that could be considered at the top of his game.

Key note on that is that comment only applies to the franchise guy/guys that are taken in the top 5. All others just keep on sucking.
    in which case, disregard the above...
    Kindof dovetails us into the good discussions we've been having in the thread on drafting a first rounder. What will fall to us. A Rodgers/Flacco or someone we should pass on like McCoy or Clausen?

By the way, I still don't think its time to call McCoy a bust or anything. Thats a kid with potential who is on a once shitty team that is looking pretty good as the season goes along.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083629
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083625
    Don't have to.

He's got to be an improvement over what we've had in play,
    Again, why?
    Because he's the best athlete on our team and our receivers have totally sucked all year?

LOL!
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083620
    Well, as I see it, we have been wasting a great resource.

Had we kept Sage, Webb could have been solving part of our receiver problem. We lost some close games that might have been won with Webb catching the ball.

Webb is talented enough that he might be vying for rookie of the year as a receiver.

Instead......he's wasted.

Childress painted us into a corner on the QB issue and we need some bold action to shake things up.
    Rookie of the year as a WR? Seriously?

I don't even know where to begin with that. Using the same logic, we could have put Cook in at WR instead of CB and he could be vying for rookie of the year. After all, he's played WR in that past.

Except that it doesn't work that way.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Except Cook is nowhere near Webb in athletic ability.

If you're gonna talk logic, you should actually use some.
    --John Wooden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1083634
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083622
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1083617
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083603
    Questions:

What is Webb's role?

Why do we say Webb is not ready?

If we draft a top quality QB, will he be more ready than Webb?
    Webbs role is to learn everything he can learn and try to be as ready as he can be if his number is called, ala last night.

The guys drafted at the top of last years draft class aren't ready and a few of them have not only practiced with the ones, they've actually played against the other teams one's and they still aren't ready. No way Joe is ready. Last time he probably took a snap was with the PS and that probably wasn't at full speed.
    You think so? Remember, Favre wasn't practicing at all this week. I'm betting Webb had some reps with at least the second team.
    Your probably right. He probaby got as many reps as TJ would have got if the Noodle was practicing.

Now that you think about it, maybe he has been getting a few extra reps, but again, they are in practice and not actually live reps.

I like to think that a kid who has 1 year of NFL coaching is better than any kid drafted and thrown to the wolves the first year. I am starting to change my opinion on that. That is mostly based on watching the cats out there that get continued reps as the starter, regardless of how bad they play, seem to mature a bit faster.
    Depends on the guy I think. It takes the right mindset and the ability to improve. Guys like Peyton manning, or Matt Ryan, joe Flacco, etc. they all started right away. Manning had a brutal season, but he had a brutal team. Ryan and Flacco made mistakes, but they both fought through, and are better for it.

however, some guys you can't do that with. I think TJ is one of those guys. Webb might, or might not as well, we have no idea.
    Ryan had a drop off last year.
    Yeah, when Turner got hurt for a good portion of the season and he had to carry the team, he dropped off. Shocking. Now that they're balanced, he's playing the best ball of his career
    Flacco still has his issues.
    As does Manning. Poing?

Listening to the commentators last night was very interesting as they talked about how they've tried to expand his role. Sanchez, the one I like to watch of late, seems to be regressing instead of progressing. My guess its because of his HC. Seems he is gonna take a more active role in the Sanchize project. LOL.
    I still stand by the idea that Sanchez was a huge reach, and will be a bust.
    In the end, there is no cookie cutter, but I think you can only say that the ones who have had any success are the guys taken at the top of the draft, with a couple of exceptions....ala Rodgers/Flacco with Rodgers really the only true QB that could be considered at the top of his game.
    Rogers is the only recently drafted first round QB who has a team around him. Yes, there's no run game now, and his game reflects that, but when healthy, the Packers can be one of the best teams around. Same to be said about the Falcons and Ravens. Other guys? Well Cutler is still uncertain. He has never really had a team around him. With an offense, he did very well in Denver. Now, with no receivers and a shaky run game, he's questionable in Chicago. This is nothing new. It's why so often high pick QB's seem to suck. Usually its just a bad situation. Look at Stafford. When healthy, he plays alright. Not great, but alright. Problem is, he's not ever healthy for an extended period of time.

Lets look at some mid-first round picks form the past decade.

Chad Pennington. (18th) He's a good QB, but constantly hurt. If healthy, he could be a very good player. Not an elite player, but definitely reliable.

Ramsey. (32) Never really did much
    Leftwich(7) Ok starter, but a good backup.
    Boller(19) Bust
    Roethlisberger(11) If not for the rapes, I think any team would love to have him
    Losman(22) Bust
    Rodgers(24) franchise player
    Campbell(20) Terrible situations his whole career, but so far not very good.
    Cutler(11) Franchise player capable, needs some help though
    Quinn(22) I guess bust, since they don't want to play him in Denver Has never had an offense though
    Flacco(18) Plays very well, will probably be the Ravens QB for many years to come
    Freeman(17) With not much help, he actually does surprisingly well.

Key note on that is that comment only applies to the franchise guy/guys that are taken in the top 5. All others just keep on sucking.
    in which case, disregard the above...
    Kindof dovetails us into the good discussions we've been having in the thread on drafting a first rounder. What will fall to us. A Rodgers/Flacco or someone we should pass on like McCoy or Clausen?[/quote]
    Explain again, why should we have passed on McCoy. On the craptacular Browns, he was playing alright. Definitely better than TJ and Favre have been playing. Add to that he's mobile, isn't that what we want? If we drafted him last year, I think we'd be better off, especially since we'd have a QB going into next year.

By the way, I still don't think its time to call McCoy a bust or anything. Thats a kid with potential who is on a once shitty team that is looking pretty good as the season goes along.
    damn, got me again.

I'd still like to know why you think we should have passed on him? We got Cook, who hasn't done squat yet, and we got Gerhart. We could have kept our third round pick and gotten McCoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083644
    Except Cook is nowhere near Webb in athletic ability.
    Then Troy Williamson should have been ROY!

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Come on, Webb is no quarterback of the future. He was drafted initially to be a wide receiver. Brad fucking Childress is the retard that thought he could become a NFL QB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1083651
    Come on, Webb is no quarterback of the future. He was drafted initially to be a wide receiver. Brad fucking Childress is the retard that thought he could become a NFL QB.
    He was a Quarterback in college, drafted as an athlete. They had to stick a position on him, so they thought try WR first.

Memory is failing.

How did we get into this situation?

What did we get for Rosenfels that was so valuable?
    --John Wooden

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast